Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New! Oily, thin/fine hair

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default New! Oily, thin/fine hair

Hi all! I'm Joanna, 17 years old. I've had mostly shoulder to above shoulder length hair my whole life, and started growing it out December 2015 and haven't trimmed it since. I should probably trim it but I'm too obsessed with whatever length I can keep hahaha.
    I have very naturally oily hair, and I usually have to wash it every day if I don't want to deal with the gross feeling of oily hair. I would like to see what kind of shampoos you have found useful for lengthening the amount of time between washes. I currently use bamboo fiber ogx, and for conditioner coconut ogx, and today I just started trying the CWC technique with conditioning all my hair, washing all, and then conditioning the ends. What techniques do my fellow oily-haired friends find useful? Thanks!
    I'm glad to have joined, once in a while I search up something hair-related and I always end up here

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: New! Oily, thin/fine hair

Welcome bjanna! I had to force train my scalp to go longer between my washes. Basically I had to suck it up and learned to bear the oiliness for a long time. Gradually my hair has been needing to produce less sebum and doesn't need to overcompensate for me washing it all off everyday.

Some people do produce excess oil and need to wash their scalp everyday though. Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep your lengths hydrated!

Length
    12/35.5/37
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Hay Bjanna! welcome!

my hair used to be oily - like Aredhel said - nothing wrong with washing everyday. just remember that it's your scalp that needs cleansed, the ends, not so much. be gentle & condition the length & you'll be fine. try to keep the conditioner away from your scalp, also to prevent more oiliness there. I am using the same conditioner as you right now. I like it fine & think it helps hydrate my wave/curls & keep them from going straight.

Happy growing
    Renegray Embracing Messy hair ​(and puppies!)
    24 – 25 – 26 – 27 – 28 – 29 – 30 – 31 – 32 – 33 – 34 – 35 – 36 -37 - 38 - 39

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i

Thank you both! I'll try using your advice. For oily days I'll just have to put it up and deal with it I guess haha

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! My scalp is on the dryer side, so I can't give you any advice.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hi & welcome!

Back when mine was shorter I had to wash 2/3x a week as well. This changed at around BSL, when I got to 2x a week. Now I'm past hip and I can stretch to once a week. I do use harsh sulfates, mostly geared towards oily hair, otherwise my hair would need washing more than once. I also have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) so that makes me have to keep my scalp squeaky clean.

If you have oily hair, don't use extra oils on your roots and don't let conditioner touch your scalp.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Great advice already, I'd just add that braids are my way of hiding the days I'm wearing oil in my hair (especially if I pin side braids into crown braids). Hides my roots too, on days when I'm stretching time until my next color.

I also have found that my hair can stretch washes with some training, usually 2x weekly, but what my hair does can be totally different than yours so don't fret if you know you need to modify others' general advice. Welcome!
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    4/24/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

A BBB (boar bristle brush) is great for distributing the oils from the scalp down to the ends, which makes the ends shinier and less prone to break. HOWEVER some people, especially with fine hair, find BBBs to cause damage. I have fine hair though and it works for me!

Length
    28/28/40
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Welcome! I'm fairly new here as well and also have greasy hair. I'm still experimenting, but have had great success with the CWC method and usually only have to wash my hair 2, sometimes 3, times a week.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

BSL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CLASSIC

Length
    Chin/Waist/Butt
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hello and welcome! You've already had some great advice here.

I would also reiterate not to put any conditioner on your scalp. I was washing my hair daily for years by doing this, now I've managed to stretch to every 3 days. To help you stretch when your scalp feels oily, try using some dry shampoo and wearing your hair up to hide the greasies. In time your scalp will adjust. I like using Batiste, I found it really helpful to tolerate the oily roots.

Good luck!

|| 6 monthly trims since July 2015 || Finger combing since March 2017 || Combating
    thin fine hair & excessive shedding || Goal: buttcrack with blunt hem ||