Thread: Removing color

Length
    15-16/15-16/18

Default Removing color

Hello, I dyed my hair semi-permanent red a while back and now I want to go blonde but I want to remove the red color first. I've used 'color oops' twice and the red won't come out of the middle section of my hair. I have very long and thick hair and I'm looking for a more natural way of things. Thank you

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Removing color

I would honestly just wait until the red fades. Semi permanents fade on their own, after a number of weeks or washes, no need to go in after them with color oops or the like *right now*, seems a little impulsive - why do all the extra damage?

Welcome to LHC!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I'm new here but have a lot of experience with color correction and attempting to remove. I agree with lapushka and wish I'd have followed that advice a few years ago. I've done more damage with trying to correct/remove color than anything else. I think the most natural way would be to give it time and a clarifying shampoo here and there. If you're determined to go blonde then you will want your hair to be as healthy as possible in my opinion.

Length
    8"/18"/IDK
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I used two rounds of color oops when I decided to grow out my grays...didn't remove the bulk of the dye but lightened it significantly which was fine. Color oops can strip hair down if the base is blond but can leave color residue even in the best of cases. We bleached my daughter's hair blond (from a light sandy brown/blonde mix) and rainbow colored it; used color oops before school started and it stripped down all the colors except the red and purple - those lingered. For me? I didn't want to kill my length health so I stopped after two rounds and let the grays go. Anyways, that's my experience with it.

Length
    15-16/15-16/18

the thing is i dyed my hair over 6 months ago and i wash my hair daily and the color still isnt fading

Length
    15-16/15-16/18

thank you but i

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jillrose View Post
    the thing is i dyed my hair over 6 months ago and i wash my hair daily and the color still isnt fading
    That's a long time; I understand why you'd want it gone then!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I'm in the same position!! Except the red semi is on virgin brown hair and I want my natural color back.
    I haven't tried color oops yet because of all the reviews saying that it doesn't do much for reds. I've done two vitamin c treatments with vitamin c powder, baking soda, and shampoo. All it did was help the color fall out a little more when I showered. My hair is still pretty red and I've followed both treatments with an olive oil soak over night.
    I've come to the decision to just let it fade on its own, after much googling and reading these comments letting the color fade on its own isn't exactly what I wanted to hear but I care more about it's health than anything :/

Length
    10"/APL/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I used color oops once and it was disastrous. My hair was in such bad shape after I used it. Part of the color oops is that you're supposed to wash your hair a ton of times in order to get the color out so it ends up being even more drying. All of the times I've tried to get color out of my hair with chemicals I've regretted it. I would really agree with everyone else that waiting is your best option. I know since the hair color hasn't faded yet that you're doubtful it will at all. But reds are notorious for fading over time.