Thread: Vinegar smell

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Vinegar smell

I really like a vinegar rinse - but lately the dh says my hair smells like vinegar. Not strong but ... when cuddling I don't want him smelling vinegar! I'm doing a distilled final rinse and add white vinegar to the distilled water. Could the distilled make the vinegar smell stronger? I have not increased the %. Should I try a vinegar rinse and then a distilled rinse or maybe just half the vinegar.... or anyone know a less "stinky" brand of vinegar Help!
    thanks

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Vinegar smell

I rinse with water after the vinegar, that way no smell. Find the least that your hair needs on the vinegar and drop down to that amount as well. It is mainly the change of ph that seems to help the most with vinegar

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I agree, I rinse the vinegar out too whenever I happen to use it. That, and using apple cider vinegar seems to be better than plain white vinegar. Just... dont do red wine vinegar, that stuff is the worst.

If you really dislike the vinegar, using a pinch of citric acid granules in water will do the same thing as the vinegar rinse and it has no smell. I'll use whatever I have on hand but I try to keep citric acid on hand because I've grown to prefer it. Alternatively or additionally you could add a few drops of a nice EO to the solution that you are rinsing with.

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post
    If you really dislike the vinegar, using a pinch of citric acid granules in water will do the same thing as the vinegar rinse and it has no smell. I'll use whatever I have on hand but I try to keep citric acid on hand because I've grown to prefer it. Alternatively or additionally you could add a few drops of a nice EO to the solution that you are rinsing with.
    *Facepalm* I have no idea why I forgot about that.

When I was using shampoo bars and needed an acidic rinse, I switched to using concentrated or strained lime juice in water rather than vinegar.
    Thanks, Silver & Gold.

I still can't believe I forgot that, what a brainfart.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskimosa View Post
    *Facepalm* I have no idea why I forgot about that.

When I was using shampoo bars and needed an acidic rinse, I switched to using concentrated or strained lime juice in water rather than vinegar.
    Thanks, Silver & Gold.

I still can't believe I forgot that, what a brainfart.
    I know what you mean about the brainfart. I manage at least one a week myself.

When you used lime juice, did it impart any kind of lime smell to your hair? Or was it too mild to notice? I'm thinking since I love to use coconut oil as a leave in I might wish to consider using lime juice as my rinse. Cause the doctor said if I put the lime in de coconut . . . er, ummm . . . or maybe I'm supposed to drink it all up?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post
    I know what you mean about the brainfart. I manage at least one a week myself.

When you used lime juice, did it impart any kind of lime smell to your hair? Or was it too mild to notice? I'm thinking since I love to use coconut oil as a leave in I might wish to consider using lime juice as my rinse. Cause the doctor said if I put the lime in de coconut . . . er, ummm . . . or maybe I'm supposed to drink it all up?
    Hee hee! Now THAT'S FUNNY!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil