Thread: Henna + coconut oil = ?

Length
    28/33/35

Default Henna + coconut oil = ?

Okay, quick question before dyeing my boyfriend's hair tonight.

What happens when you mix coconut oil with henna? Does the hair suck up the dye more effectively? Or should we treat his hair with oil before applying the dye? How about afterwards? Is it deadly to use both in succession?

I appreciate your expert input!
    "...and he knew her hair to be the golden veil through which he beheld his dreams." - Dante Gabriel Rossetti
    "Artists aren't really people. I'm actually 40% papier mache." - Morrissey

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Henna + coconut oil = ?

I've put 2-4 tbsp of coconut oil in my henna mix before with no issues. Some people report less dye uptake that way, but I didn't have issues. Also, I've heard that using coconut oil prior to coloring, however you color, can protect it but I've never done that myself.

My usual mix is my Rainbow henna dark brown, with a few squirts of camellia oil and 2 tbsp organic ACV, all mixed with a hibiscus based tea. It works well.

Length
    28/33/35

Thank you, Rymorg. The boy mixes his red henna with red wine, and we were wondering if it would be sensible to oil his hair so that the wine doesn't strip it. It's probably trial and error.
    "...and he knew her hair to be the golden veil through which he beheld his dreams." - Dante Gabriel Rossetti
    "Artists aren't really people. I'm actually 40% papier mache." - Morrissey

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I can't speak for coconut oil specifically, but I use a couple tablespoons of EVOO in my henna mix, and it's had no effect but making my hair more soft afterward.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I've used coconut oil in my henna mix with no problems, and still had good dye uptake. I suppose individual results vary. I have also used coconut milk, with good results
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!