Thread: Benefits of dry shampoo

Length
    class/TB/class
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Question Benefits of dry shampoo

Heeeyy! :P

So I need explanation about something.

People say that washing hair too frequently is bad because it strips it from its natural oils and all.

But then they say we can use dry shampoo to make our hair look clean again and everything...the dry shampoo...absorbs the oils in the hair.

But isn't that taking the oils out of the hair as well?

I don't get it? xD

Anyways thanks, by the way why is my hair getting oily more easily these days? Is it just cause it's winter time?

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Benefits of dry shampoo

Personally, dry shampoo makes my hair look and feel worse! Stringier, tanglier, and overall not nice.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    ch/sh/wl
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I'm also curious about this. I have thick enough hair that I can go a week without washing and be okay, but everyone is raving about dry shampoo and it doesn't make sense to me.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureBailey View Post
    Heeeyy! :P

So I need explanation about something.

People say that washing hair too frequently is bad because it strips it from its natural oils and all.

But then they say we can use dry shampoo to make our hair look clean again and everything...the dry shampoo...absorbs the oils in the hair.

But isn't that taking the oils out of the hair as well?

I don't get it? xD

Anyways thanks, by the way why is my hair getting oily more easily these days? Is it just cause it's winter time?
    Dry shampoo only goes on the roots, to absorb excess oils. It's the lengths of the hair that is volnuerable to stripping and drying out. The roots are very new fresh growth that is very healthy and don't get bothered by the occasional dry shampoo round. The roots can take a bit of a beating without getting harmed. But the lengths of the hair is more fragile. So for my hair for example, it's better to use dry shampoo now and then which will allow me to stretch washes longer, which protects my ends more.

Quote Originally Posted by marvel-lover View Post
    I'm also curious about this. I have thick enough hair that I can go a week without washing and be okay, but everyone is raving about dry shampoo and it doesn't make sense to me.
    Because not everyone has thick hair like you. Those of us with thinner/finer hair cannot camoflauge oilyness as easily as those with thicker hair. The thinner and/or straighter, the more greasy-looking it gets. Also some people have scalps that procude too much sebum no matter their thickness, and some people will turn into greaseballs for a limited period because of stress or other reasons. Just because you personally don't need it doesn't make a product worthless.

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Dry shampoo never worked for me; back then when I was a teen it was a regular spray bottle (my grandma got it for me). I just needed to wash my hair at least 2x a week, that's all, that's what "solved" it.

I think my scalp has sort of "normalized", maybe with age as well. I can stretch to about a week (oil starts on Thursday/Friday). I wash every Sunday.

No dry shampoo.

I think I'd much rather just wash the hair; maybe do scalp washes if you have to wash frequently.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I could not live without dry shampoo. Not only does it allow me to not wash every day, it gives me more time to sleep! As Pixie said, it absorbs the oil at the roots because that is mainly where you'd apply dry shampoo. It doesn't absorb all the oil like shampoo but if you overuse it between washings, it can cause buildup and itchy scalp. Good question!

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I am life dependant on dry shampoo, I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue and sometimes I just do not have the energy required to wash my hair. Also my skin is water-allergic so I cannot shower when I have bad periods, so washing hair for me means standing upside down in the shower, which I also cannot do when my body hurts the worst. Then I need to be able to use a dry shampoo. I find the Batiste ones to be very good, they are cheap and do the job well, even if they smell a lot (I am fragrance sensitive but I have yet to find a single dry shampoo that isn't over-fragranced that also do the job). I tried making my own from corn starch, but either it didn't do anything because I didn't use enough or if I used enough it was so much that it made my roots look white. The Batiste also makes my roots lighter, but they are not white, so it's ok.

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

Length
    shldr/mbl/bcl
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Have you tried cacao powder? Or maybe mixing the cornstarch with cacao to get a slightly darker shade? My hair is very dark so for me cacao works better (it makes your hair smell like chocolate though :P). I use a "dry shampoo" when I just don't have time for washing and my hair is starting to look stringy. It isn't perfect but it helps to absorb the extra and keep it from looking greasy for a few extra hours. I've been a little worried about the spray type of dry shampoo because it has aluminum in it like deodorants.I only use natural salt based deodorant. I don't know if the hoopla around aluminum is true, but I would rather not be breathing it in just to be safe.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Since my hair is red and my re-growth is light blonde I don't think cocoa powder will be much better color-wise for me and I actually prefer the application of a spray vs powder and brush!

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm a fan of dry shampoo when I need it. It's especially handy when you sunscreen your hair part, only to realize that the sunscreen greased your hair. So you spray the dry shampoo and voila! No more greasy sunscreen part.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!