Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of dry shampoo

Default Re: Benefits of dry shampoo

I have had cornstarch and a cosmetic brush in the bathroom cabinet since Sept 2013 when I joined LHC (just in case)...and have not used it yet
    Generally my hair is not greasy, and to stretch washes I use my BBB; it disperses what little sebum I have over the length
    (can't even see/feel it) = shine and scalp hair fullness.
    Back in the 60's I used MINIPOO a lot; but my now my silver is very fine and dry, so it has lots of life between shampoos.
    IF it needs a shampoo...then it really needs it
    I should go dig that out of the cabinet ...it has not been used over 4 years after all lol
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; February 16th, 2017 at 02:22 PM.

Length
    17/18/35
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Well, I never had tried dry shampoo, but a couple weeks ago I bought Batiste dry shampoo to give it a try, my scalps gets oily really easy so I applied once and my hair got to look clean and less dull after that, so I thought that the result was not bad!
    But the day after that, I shampoo my hair and my scalp felt very dry under the water. I don't know if thats good or bad, but I'm still gonna keep trying until I found a reason to hate it or love it.

I think I've only tried dry shampoo once, but it wasn't a good experience for me. I'm generally pretty oily, and I wash daily. I used an Herbal Essences one once when I tried to skip. The scent got overpowering over the day, and my hair felt heavy, hot, and really dirty. I liked that it gave me some texture and lift at the roots, but I never did use it again!

Before that, I tried cornstarch/cocoa powder with some disastrous results--white roots, couldn't comb it out, cocoa powder also wasn't the right color (but then again, I'm just clumsy, and maybe I should have used less?).

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by missrandie View Post
    I'm a fan of dry shampoo when I need it. It's especially handy when you sunscreen your hair part, only to realize that the sunscreen greased your hair. So you spray the dry shampoo and voila! No more greasy sunscreen part.
    You sunscreen your hair part?! I find that so odd, for some reason. Never known anyone to do that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

There's a big down side to dry shampoo if your sebum is too thick and waxy, though. If you touch your hair when it looks greasy and your finger feels oily, it'll probably work for you to some degree or another. If your hair feels dry when it looks greasy, though, then the active portion of dry shampoo (which is usually corn starch and/or arrowroot powder) will just stick to the sebum and build up further. My sebum is a little bit waxier than coconut oil, so dry shampoo does nothing for me, and a boar bristle brush won't move my sebum so much as half a centimeter down the hair shaft. Unfortunately, some of us are just cursed to have to wash our hair every time it starts to look dirty.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    waist/TB/long

I don't think there are any benefits to it. Just wash with a gentle product.

Length
    ch/sh/wl
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PixieP View Post
    Because not everyone has thick hair like you. Those of us with thinner/finer hair cannot camoflauge oilyness as easily as those with thicker hair. The thinner and/or straighter, the more greasy-looking it gets. Also some people have scalps that procude too much sebum no matter their thickness, and some people will turn into greaseballs for a limited period because of stress or other reasons. Just because you personally don't need it doesn't make a product worthless.
    I certainly didn't mean to imply that the product is worthless because it doesn't work for me! I apologize if I offended you or came off as rude. All I meant was that I was struggling to understand the concept when the goal of stretching washes was to allow your hair to absorb it's natural oils. I mentioned the thick part because I don't personally have a need for it. I understand that there are different hairtypes that require different care and products. I apologize for offending you in any way.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain
    Your resident crazy bunny lady

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Dry shampoo didn't make sense to me, either. When my hair is dirty, I want to wash the oil away, not add something to the oil. But I did have occasion to try it recently, and it gave a nice result.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I haven't used it myself because when my hair is dirty, the oil isn't too bad to deal with (I just pull it back, I think it looks normal unless it's down). But the problem for me is that my scalp starts to itch a little after 5 or 6 days, and flakes start to stick to my oily hair and are noticeable, especially if I brush my hair (made that mistake today). So for me, I wouldn't want to add more white powdery stuff to my dark hair that already has too many little white flakes starting to appear.

But my friends with blonde or light brown hair love it, and people who have less volume swear that at the roots it helps give them some lift when their hair wants to fall flat. I've seen it suggested for retro-style updos to help achieve a poof without hairspray. I think it works for some people better than others depending on hair thickness, oiliness, and hair colour. (Also whether or not you have a flaky/irritable scalp....)

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Usually I only touch it if I need 1 extra day and can't shower or whatever. I hardly use it though. I prefer cleaned and washed hair.