Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benefits of dry shampoo

Length
    CBL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Benefits of dry shampoo

I prefer the feeling of clean hair, but prefer the look of my hair with dry shampoo in it. I use Batiste and it is the best I have tried so far.
    It's nice because you only need to use it on the very top of your scalp so it's a very gentle way to refresh the appearance of your hair.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

I hate dry shampoo. It soaks up oil but it doesn't make my hair look any nicer. Instead of greasy and limp, it looks dry and limp and feels even worse. If my hair is oily to the point I feel I need to do something about it, I wash it. I don't just cover up the grease.

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Dry shampoo used to be my lifeline to stretching washes, but I have since moved to scalp-only washes when it gets that bad (ie, two days after a wash because I'm a greaseball). But... I have been considering picking up dry shampoo again for the convenience of not having to take the time in the morning to wash my scalp.

As for the original question... leaving grease in your hair is not really good for your scalp, especially if your sebum is super thick/waxy. It can be a breeding ground for all sorts of scalp issues—I know my scalp gets sore/develops acne if I don't do something about it. Dry shampoo just absorbs the excess basically.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Personally, I vastly prefer scalp-only washes and partial scalp-only washes (just the hairline) to dry shampoos. I'd just rather avoid any risk of build-up on scalp and I don't like adding more powdery product to my scalp when I what I actually want to do is to clean it. I should add that I have thick hair that I wear up all the time and it's dark enough that I can hide greasies very easily. I can definitely see how dry shampoos can be hugely helpful for many people.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

With my fine, thin, often wavy hair I have had trouble finding a dry shampoo that works. I can get by with most types when my hair has been blown out and straightened but certainly not when it's in its natural state. This kinda defeated the purpose for me, so I stopped trying it. I recently found that I do have great results from the bumble and bumble powder, I can use that brand without having to style my hair in any way prior. It actually gives it a lift on the second or third waterless day.

Length
    tba/tba/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I always have thick bangs, so dry shampoo is pretty much a given by day 2, and absolutely crucial on day 3. It's really convenient and keeps my hair looking clean while I can let my length/ends have a little down time. I use a SLS shampoo (Suave or Head & Shoulders) just on the roots (unless I'm clarifying), and I have no issues washing out the dry shampoo.

Length
    32/35/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kae612 View Post
    I haven't used it myself because when my hair is dirty, the oil isn't too bad to deal with (I just pull it back, I think it looks normal unless it's down). But the problem for me is that my scalp starts to itch a little after 5 or 6 days, and flakes start to stick to my oily hair and are noticeable, especially if I brush my hair (made that mistake today). So for me, I wouldn't want to add more white powdery stuff to my dark hair that already has too many little white flakes starting to appear.

But my friends with blonde or light brown hair love it, and people who have less volume swear that at the roots it helps give them some lift when their hair wants to fall flat. I've seen it suggested for retro-style updos to help achieve a poof without hairspray. I think it works for some people better than others depending on hair thickness, oiliness, and hair colour. (Also whether or not you have a flaky/irritable scalp....)
    Batiste has a dry shampoo for brunettes with a hint of brown color. I have it on my shelf for emergencies and it works relatively well without leaving the white dusty look on my hair. It can theoretically color your clothes like hats and hoods so I usually stick to dark clothing on those days.