Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The Water-Mostly/Hybrid WO Washing Thread

Length
    TWA/APL/Waist
    Type
    4b/M/ii

Default Re: The Water-Mostly/Hybrid WO Washing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    I'll borrow all the "I don't give a damn" vibes I can get right now. It's an attitude I try to cultivate but my default state of being is giving far too many damns about most everything .

I actually haven't tried keeping masks/washes off my scalp. When I did WO the biggest issue I had was my scalp--hairline and top of head only) getting a buildup of what I always assumed was waxy sebum. Scalp didn't itch and wasn't inflamed or anything, but every time I would scratch there would just be all this powdery stuff under my nails (lovely). So when I switch to herbs etc I've always made a point of applying the mix directly to scalp with an applicator bottle and massaging it in, often letting it sit for a few minutes before applying to the rest of my hair. Between washes I scritch with a comb and usually there is stuff that comes up (shampoo or no shampoo, it's the same and sulfates make it worse). My face is the same way actually-- it's like my skin doesn't want to exfoliate properly. Oiling helps but as much as I would like to just oil rinse my hair it's too fine to support that on a regular basis. Oil cleansing works great for my face though.

I might just need to learn to live with it because honestly there are no visible flakes or anything until I scritch and as long as I do that before every wash it's clear afterwards for a day or two. it didn't occur to me that maybe messing with it is part of the problem?
    I wonder if a light oiling of the scalp prior to cleansing might help. Have you tried fresh aloe yet? I know some use AHAs, BHAs, or exfoliants designed for the scalp. Or, it could be as you said, it does not like to be fussed with.
    No shampoo
    No conditioner
    APL to BSL come grow with me!

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I do oil my scalp prior to washing which really helps to clear it, but doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of recurrence. I am feeling more and more drawn to aloe for its chemical exfoliating properties. I've wondered if ACV left on long enough might have a similar effect but it's not as soothing. I think when I do a WO wash mid week I'm going to do what Reyn has been doing with aloe on the scalp. I can't use my Lily of the Desert gel as a leave in (leaves a residue), but it might be just fine if in massage it in just prior to washing and then rinse it out. And also don't put it all over my face and leave it on for too long .

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hey everyone! Looks like you've all been busy here while I've been, well, busy!

Ophidian, I'm sorry to hear that the doubt/anxiety has been getting to you lately. It is really hard to get past the uneasiness of feeling like you might be judged badly for the way you are, I know. But remember, most people probably aren't thinking super deeply about your hair, throughout the day. If it's within a range of somewhat "normal" looking, it probably draws almost no attention from other people most of the time. And besides, it's not about what anyone else thinks or feels about what you're doing, it's about how YOU feel.

In general, you should always aim to do what feels good and right for you, whether that's experimenting with herbs and the such because it's fun and relaxing, or using S&C once a week, or WO whenever, or whatever!

And Ophidian, you're totally right about people all over the world having success with alternate methods of haircare. We're somewhat instructed by our culture in what's "normal", but if something works better for you, or makes you happy, who's really going to look that closely and police you about it?

Now, for my little experiments. I was able to use aloe three times on my scalp so far, kind of like a scalp conditioner right after "washing" (preening). I wasn't able to use it when I washed my hair this morning, because I didn't have time. BUT, overall, the aloe seems to have done the trick with the scalp dryness/dandruff/flakiness problem.

The first time I used it was pretty much an immediate success. It felt soothing right as it went on, made my hair super soft, and kept my scalp moisturized for a good 5 days after washing. The second time I used it, it also felt good right away and had the same effect on dry skin, but it made my hair just a tiny bit over-moisturized. It looked still damp/ a tiny bit greasy/whatever for a day after washing (but after that it dried out and looked nice and clean). The third time I used it I used half as much aloe, diluted into more water so it would cover my whole scalp still. I also put a few drops of rosemary essential oil in that one, which smelled really nice. That time I made sure my hair was fully dry before I put it up, so it wouldn't look stringy again the next day. It took a little longer again to dry (I think from the aloe being so moisturizing), but it was better. Dry skin started coming about around day 5 again, so I think I can stick with the lesser amount of aloe.

I'm pretty certain that it's only a matter of time before the dry skin comes back, so I will almost definitely keep up with the aloe scalp treatments.

How exciting of me, making alllll these changes to my routine! [/sarcasm]
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks for the wise words Reyn

You're totally right--people are usually too busy with their own lives to be paying too much attention to little details. I appreciate you all taking the time to give me a gentle reminder. Feeling a bit less thin skinned today and ready to go back to my projects

Re: aloe, do you leave it on after you apply it or rinse it out?

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

You're welcome, Ophidian. And regarding the aloe, I have been rinsing it out, but.... I don't want to say it's not thoroughly, because there's none left on my scalp, but I don't rinse to the point that there's none left in my hair, either.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks Reyn! Because my aloe has the extra ingredients I think I'll have to rinse it out well but I'm encouraged by your results.

I also had a realization, which is that if oil cleansing works so well on my face, there's no reason I can't extend my face-skin care routine about an inch into my hairline. So basically that means spraying with rosewater and massaging in a tiny bit of oil (right now I'm using a blend of castor, grapeseed, and olive). Maybe if I do this a few times throughout the week it will help deal with what I'm thinking could be basically combination skin issues. For my face, oiling damp skin is basically the only thing that works. Scrubs, soaps, astringents, etc all just make it feel tight and dry and then I get both oil and dry flakes at once.

Also, I found this blog from a young woman whose family still practices a lot of traditional haircare though she has branched into beauty blogging and more mainstream stuff. I love her posts that talk about things like her mother's routine and grandmother's herbal hair wash recipes. If I needed a reminder that these methods can be used to grow healthy long hair here it is. Anyway, thought I'd share because I thought it was both sweet and inspiring.
    http://www.makeupandbeautyhome.com/2...nd-photos.html

Aaaanyway I'm certainly feeling chatty today.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I have a question for you guys. I like to CO once a week, but often rinse with water every other day. The place I just moved to has fairly hard water, and I've been using an ACV rinse. It helps a lot but, if I use it too often my hair gets stringy. Is there a way to prevent that and still rinse often? I don't want the lank, greasy hair from the hard water either.

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I have a question for you guys. I like to CO once a week, but often rinse with water every other day. The place I just moved to has fairly hard water, and I've been using an ACV rinse. It helps a lot but, if I use it too often my hair gets stringy. Is there a way to prevent that and still rinse often? I don't want the lank, greasy hair from the hard water either.
    Hey! Maybe try rinsing without the ACV a few times a week? I find if I use ACV rinses a lot my hair gets stringy. Maybe mixing it up would help.

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Ophidian, I agree that others are most likely too busy with their own issues to pay attention to anyone else. I understand how you feel. I really wonder about growing long hair at my age. Not that I think it's a problem, but I think others might. I've only had good comments and I still wonder if others disapprove! If it's important to you, which I believe it is, then don't worry about the opinions of others. As long as it is not something that hurts other people then I don't think you have to adjust what you are doing. And hair and hair care would only really bother others if THEY have a problem. At least that's how I see it. You have been a great influence here in this community I greatly appreciate it. Chin up, woman!
    While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. ~~~ 30" 01/01/18~~~34" 01/01/2019~~~37" 01/01/2020

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by vpatt View Post
    Ophidian, I agree that others are most likely too busy with their own issues to pay attention to anyone else. I understand how you feel. I really wonder about growing long hair at my age. Not that I think it's a problem, but I think others might. I've only had good comments and I still wonder if others disapprove! If it's important to you, which I believe it is, then don't worry about the opinions of others. As long as it is not something that hurts other people then I don't think you have to adjust what you are doing. And hair and hair care would only really bother others if THEY have a problem. At least that's how I see it. You have been a great influence here in this community I greatly appreciate it. Chin up, woman!