Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Water-Mostly/Hybrid WO Washing Thread

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: The Water-Mostly/Hybrid WO Washing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vpatt View Post
    I still have oil in my hair......this was my second or third rinse or wash. I've last track since I've been sick. But it will take more shampoo, I think. Not worried about it today, I still feel icky.

Couldn't stand it, washed again. I think I used too much shampoo...but it will be ok.

Thank you Ophidian. This is nasty stuff.
    Update: I used my Shimmer Lights diluted and then put a small dollup on my crown. It cleaned my hair and then some. It is so slippy slidey that it wont stay in a braid! I don't really dislike it, but it is totally different. I feel like it is not going to last long before it starts getting greasy again. Sigh.

I feel like I already posted this....or was that a flu induced hallucination?
    While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. ~~~ 30" 01/01/18~~~34" 01/01/2019~~~37" 01/01/2020

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I haven't seen anything

What is Shimmer Lights?

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    I haven't seen anything

What is Shimmer Lights?
    It is a purple shampoo (Clairol, I think) that whitens up silver hair. And I think it acts as clarifying for me. I just don't remember my hair ever being so slippery before. I won't use coconut oil in my hair again. I seems it made the ends crunchy. I might try jojoba as it is close to human sebum, I think. I wonder about hemp oil, also. Have any of you tried hemp oil?
    While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. ~~~ 30" 01/01/18~~~34" 01/01/2019~~~37" 01/01/2020

Length
    Chin/Waist/Class
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

I feel like I'm unintentionally inching towards water mostly/only like I did with silicones. I've taken to diluting my conditioner as it works better.

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

It is a purple shampoo (Clairol, I think) that whitens up silver hair. And I think it acts as clarifying for me. I just don't remember my hair ever being so slippery before. I won't use coconut oil in my hair again. I seems it made the ends crunchy. I might try jojoba as it is close to human sebum, I think. I wonder about hemp oil, also. Have any of you tried hemp oil?
    I have never tried hemp. Yeah, I think coconut can do that. My hair likes it but I hear the crunchy thing a lot. I've heard good things about jojoba, and it's pretty light so that might be easier to get out without a full CO or shampoo wash? I've been thinking about trying it for scalp massage. My scalp is so much happier when I oil it lightly a few times between washes but I do notice some increase in shedding (not terrible but noticeable). I'm wondering if a different type of oil might work better for me (usually use a castor blend).

I've been a weekly washer for a long time but the last few weeks I've stepped it up to twice, sometimes WO and sometimes dilute shampoo, and feel like this might be my happy medium.

In other news, I found some old articles on herb washing from the old LHC and I'm super exited to try a few in lieu of shampoo.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Class
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    I have never tried hemp. Yeah, I think coconut can do that. My hair likes it but I hear the crunchy thing a lot. I've heard good things about jojoba, and it's pretty light so that might be easier to get out without a full CO or shampoo wash? I've been thinking about trying it for scalp massage. My scalp is so much happier when I oil it lightly a few times between washes but I do notice some increase in shedding (not terrible but noticeable). I'm wondering if a different type of oil might work better for me (usually use a castor blend).

I've been a weekly washer for a long time but the last few weeks I've stepped it up to twice, sometimes WO and sometimes dilute shampoo, and feel like this might be my happy medium.

In other news, I found some old articles on herb washing from the old LHC and I'm super exited to try a few in lieu of shampoo.
    Green tea and ACV works great as shampoo alternatives for me. Green tea is a little more astringent though.

Length
    TWA/APL/Waist
    Type
    4b/M/ii

I wonder about hemp oil, also. Have any of you tried hemp oil?
    Hempseed oil is my second favorite oil, softens my hair when I do oil rinsing. It contains a high amount of ceramides, which protect the hair strands for protein loss. It does have a strong grassy scent, but I cover that with essential oils. I mix mine with castor oil and keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh.
    No shampoo
    No conditioner
    APL to BSL come grow with me!

Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by likelikepenny View Post
    Green tea and ACV works great as shampoo alternatives for me. Green tea is a little more astringent though.
    I have used herb/ACV rinses before as a boost to WO washing but these recipes are based around herbs that contain saponins (yucca, soapwort, soapnuts/aritha all create mild suds). They also contain a thickener (cornstarch or arrowroot) so the consistency is supposed to be somewhat shampoo-like. Will report back

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thank you all. I think I will try jojoba and hemp seed oil. It sounds crazy that I want to add oil to an oily scalp. But I am going on the thought that adding oil might help the scalp to stop producing oil.....do I have that right? Am I understanding that you all use oil on your fingertips to cover the whole scalp? One dip for the whole scalp?

I really want to try stretching washes, but here I am on Friday after washing on Monday and my scalp is getting oily. I know I only did the WO for 3 weeks before washing due to my coconut oil fiasco. But I guess not only am I impatient but due to my oiliness I wonder if I will succeed at WO. Fine hair and medium thickness......what do you all think? Is this a hair type that typically adjusts?

I really want to try soap nuts when I find mine, if they are still good. Also, I tried green tea and I didn't see that it did anything to cut the grease.....maybe there is a particular way to use it? Ditto for the vinegar and for plain water. In other words there was still oil after these rinses. Am I expecting too much too soon?

I feel that I will be starting over completely now because I used more shampoo than intended.

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Sorry for the duplicate.

So....this morning I washed with diluted Shea Moisture Shine and Curl.....put a bit of condish on the ends and then worked just a bit of Shea Moisture Smoothie thru scrunched and let it dry. I did comb out in the shower. So the results are in the siggie. As usual, poor picture.

I realize that doesn't sound like it's for this thread, but I was trying to kind of start over with some form of WO and I had to get the oil out. So now tell me. When your hair gets greasy and you rinse with water does the water really get out the grease? Or is your head just greasy until your scalp finally adjusts?

March 1, Another update: this morning I did a water only rinse and it seems as if it may have cleansed my scalp better. However, what is it with me and oils, lol? I worked just a touch of olive oil into the ends before my rinse and it seems even that small amount may have been too much. But I will see how it is by tomorrow morning. So I began about January 30....that is one month and I used shampoo only twice I think. It is fairly wavy...from water only or from olive oil? Hmmm....
    Last edited by vpatt; March 1st, 2017 at 09:59 AM.