Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hendigo Newbie - Questions post-hendigo

Default Hendigo Newbie - Questions post-hendigo

Hey lovely Long Hair Community peeps. First time poster, long time reader.

I'm 26 and from Australia! I'm new to henna and over the weekend I did my first treatment. My hair is quite fine and thin, so I am just hoping to make it healthier by avoiding chemical colours (my virgin hair is a darkish mousey brown), and to make it mainly thicker, and stronger and GROW it LONGER!!! So I've decided to try henna, specifically hendigo - as I like my hair to be a nice dark brown.

I used Rainbow Henna in Dark Brown - one step. I added about 300ml brewed espresso coffee to the mix and added 2 tablespoons olive oil - as suggested. I followed as described on the pack (wrapped my head in cling film), rinsed out with hot water and then blasted with cold and used this Palmer's Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo 3 times to ensure all was out of my hair. The first wash was really dirty greeny/bluey residue, the second less, and the third perfectly clear. Then, as normal I conditioned with the same Conditioning Conditioner, left for about 5 mins, and rinsed out but shockingly there was a dirty orange tint in the wash out.

So, henna/hendigo expert ladies, my questions are:
    • Will hendigo thicken my thin and fine hair?
    • Will multiple treatments build it up and make the colour richer or make my hair thicker?
    • Should I be using henna only if I am happy with my natural colour? If so, would it change my colour at all, like make it bright orange?
    • Will using henna only make my more thick than using hendigo?
    • Did I do the right thing post-wash care? I am concerned the orange colour it started coming out after my conditioner? Am I using the wrong shampoo/conditioner or is there any preference to what I do?
    • My hair was a bit smelly after - is this normal? It smelt like yucky grass?
    • Should I have not washed or conditioned my hair? I read somewhere you need the colour to 'cure' or 'oxidise' onto the hair over 24 hours, is that true?
    • How often should I henna/hendigo to get the best hair thickening results, if I will indeed?
    • Can I add different oils? The packet suggested said olive oil. I was considering castor oil or coconut oil.
    • When should I next wash my hair?

Appreciate any help at all! I have a lot of questions and I am confused to would be very thankful! Impart your henna/hendigo wisdom on my!

I will post before and afters when I get a chance at home!

xoxo

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hendigo Newbie - Questions post-hendigo

I should get to bed soon, but I'll answer the high points real fast.

Hendigo or henna will probably make your hair feel a little thicker, at least for a while. It won't cause you to get new follicles or anything, but it might plump your hair strands a little. I don't believe one will have more of an effect like that than the other.

Repeat applications will build up more color. I don't know if you'll see much more thickening though.

Henna on its own is orange to red, generally in the terra cotta color spectrum. If you use it alone, it will pull your hair to a warmer shade than it currently is. You won't get a bright orange if you're starting with darker brown hair, but if you use it alone, you will probably see it shift to a deep brownish red. If you use henndigo instead, it will probably tone more to a darker brown, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still warms up your color a bit. Expect to see it flare with orange in late afternoon light as the sun gets low, and to shift colors a bit depending on lighting. Henna tends to do that. Also expect your hair to look a bit more orange for the first couple of days after you've hennaed and then for the color to settle down a bit. We tend to describe that slight browning of the color as "oxidation", but I'm not certain that's actually what's going on chemically.

A bit of color coming out in your first wash or two is totally normal. However, I wouldn't personally shampoo so many times -- my scalp would feel awfully dry after that. My typical post henna routine was more along the lines of rinsing well, then smearing in a bunch of conditioner and rinsing that. Maybe shampoo and condition once each a day or two later.

Your smell description sounds about right. Henna has a bit of a hay-like smell to it, which most people don't seem to mind. (A bit of powdered ginger in the mix seems to help counter that smell though, if you're among the people who hate it.) Indigo smells sort of like peas, and is almost universally thought of as stinky by people who run around with it on their heads.

Adding oils is optional. Many people avoid it because they think it'll harm the stain. I've never had a problem with that though, and I've done hennas with a LOT of olive oil dumped in. Probably any plant oil you like is acceptable though. Just mix it in after you've added the water component, or you'll end up with these little henna-oil clumps that just do not want to dissolve!

Wash your hair when you think it needs washed. Henna really doesn't wash out the way hair dyes do. 90% of people find they can't get it to go away even if they try. You might notice the indigo fading a bit, but it likely will become permanent too after 2-3 applications.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Anje covered everything, but I would add I like to throw in some essential oils to my indigo (and in the old days, my henna) mixes. It helps with the smell.

Henna smells like alfalfa to me. I would usually add something flowery (if at all) like a lavender, a DROP or two of geranium, or you can go the clove route for something less flowery. Some of these EOs contain terpinol which will boost your dye colors (a tiny bit, less noticeably for hair henna than skin art).

Indigo smells like spinach to me. I usually add stronger EOs to mask the smell. My favorite is a few drop of peppermint, this will make your whole scalp tingle for hours while you wear your mud (use sparingly!). I normally hate patchouli but a drop or two in my indigo will sometimes "counteract" the stink of the indigo, if that's a scent you might prefer.

Just a few methods I've used with both.
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Syrenka View Post
    • Will hendigo thicken my thin and fine hair?
    • Will multiple treatments build it up and make the colour richer or make my hair thicker?
    • Should I be using henna only if I am happy with my natural colour? If so, would it change my colour at all, like make it bright orange?
    • Will using henna only make my more thick than using hendigo?
    • Did I do the right thing post-wash care? I am concerned the orange colour it started coming out after my conditioner? Am I using the wrong shampoo/conditioner or is there any preference to what I do?
    • My hair was a bit smelly after - is this normal? It smelt like yucky grass?
    • Should I have not washed or conditioned my hair? I read somewhere you need the colour to 'cure' or 'oxidise' onto the hair over 24 hours, is that true?
    • How often should I henna/hendigo to get the best hair thickening results, if I will indeed?
    • Can I add different oils? The packet suggested said olive oil. I was considering castor oil or coconut oil.
    • When should I next wash my hair?
    Individual strands might "bulk up" a bit, but you're not going to get *more* hair, if that's what you mean. Unless you're not healthy and changing to a healthy diet and or vitamin intake.

Multiple applications will intensify the color a bit. You did use a box-dye henna, though, so be careful you use a good brand (without metallic salts). It is probably better to mix your own henna and use BAQ henna and good quality indigo. You can create a one-step process from that also.

The smell is totally normal - that's how henna smells, if you hate that, better to stop now. Mind you, you can't bleach it out, because you used indigo. Indigo + bleach = green hair. But you should know that already from being here and reading the threads.

You wash next, whenever you need to wash. There's no special requirement on this.

Oh, and welcome to LHC!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've noticed that henna has made my individual hairs thicker and stronger but it took multiple applications to achieve that. I have no idea if indigo will do the same thing.

I use orange essential oil in my henna to cover the smell. Works pretty good but there is still a slight hay scent for a few days.

I use conditioner to help rinse out the mud, followed by a gentle wash with sulfate free shampoo and more conditioner. After that I wash like normal with my regular shampoo. I'll get tinted lather for the first 3-4 washes, it's just the residue washing away.

You ladies honestly ROCK!!! Thank you so much for your responses. I feel like I am A LOT more educated now. Much love.

By thickness I do mean individual strands! How fantastic for balding would henna be if it gave us new hairs!?!! I am hoping it will bulk up what hair I have, as I seem to have quite a pretty good number of hairs (I think this means density) but the actual strand thickness is so thin and wispy - genetics I would say as well as a few good years of using artificial drugstore hair dyes.

What about frequency? I am thinking of doing hendigo every 2 weeks for a bit so see if I can get that thickness I am after quickly. I have also heard its a good conditioner, so would improve my hair quality quite a lot? Do you think this is a good idea? Or would it be better to try just henna? I am worried depositing too much indigo will make my hair way too black, but as I haven't washed yet, and will tonight, I will see how it looks after - might fade a little.

Have you found that hairs get stronger or more brittle as you deposit henna?

You ladies are honestly angels. I really appreciate your replies. I am hoping henna is the answer I have been looking for my whole life, and I've taken step one to achieve perfect, thick, glossy, healthy and LONG hair!!!

If there is anything else you feel I should know, please let me know?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think once a month should be more than enough. I wouldn't do a henndigo every 2 weeks. Yes, OTOH henna is conditioning, but OTOH it is also very drying to the hair. Give it time to settle down on your hair!

My hair felt brittle with henna, the same way bleach did. My hair didn't do too well with henna I'm afraid, even though there was a time I used it quite a bit.

Hang around here a bit and maybe read up some more on the henna thread.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I always was pretty lazy with henna, and only applied it every 2-3 months. Henna on (what should I term my color? It lost some red and isn't really auburn anymore. Maybe chestnut?) my hair didn't have enough contrast that the roots were obvious to people other than me, til they got pretty long. Monthly is probably fine, but I've heard of people doing weekly. Depends on how much you want to deal with it, I suppose. Just realize that the color will continue to deepen and darken for several applications at least before it reaches a saturation point.

Thanks ladies!

So hmm... I have noticed that my hair is breaking now. I have never had my hair snap off before, or in years at least. Is this normal??? What is happening? It seems to happen when I brush my hair - snapping of little pieces here and there. And I swear I have not had this problem or even slightly in recent memory!!! This is not fun.

Do I try and was more often to get the residue out? Or should I deep condition? HELP!!

Did I do the wrong thing my doing it with coffee - was it too acidic? I added 2 tablespoons of olive oil though to moisture? Don't know what to do!!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

That's weird. Is it really dry feeling? Henna shouldn't make your hair break, but it can be a bit drying, which might be exacerbating existing damage, maybe?

What I'd suggest you do is grab some of your favorite conditioner and some honey or molasses or similar. Mix about 4 big spoons of conditioner with one of honey, and heat it up so it's warm but not uncomfortably hot. Put it in your lower hair and wrap it up in plastic for maybe 30-40 minutes. Then rinse out. That should help moisturize your hair a bit, if it's dry, and hopefully stop it from breaking off.
    Last edited by Anje; January 18th, 2017 at 08:58 PM.