Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else find the long hair growth journey kind of cathartic?

Length
    Pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Default Re: Anyone else find the long hair growth journey kind of cathartic.

I do find it so cathartic! It makes me appreciate MY hair. I am learning to finally stop comparing it to everyone else's because it will never be like anyone else's. I was made fun of as a child because of my appearance, my hair being one of the main targets (glasses, braces, skinny, you get it). Now I am learning that my hair just wants to be itself. It's made me realize that me being my true self is a wonderful thing. My hair does not want to be smothered and beaten into a preconceived ideal. It wants to be wild and curly and a little witchy. The longer my hair grows, the more I see that I too am unconventional. Being conventional and toeing the line all my life has not brought me the happiness I wanted. Being me, a little quirky, a little crunchy, a little witchy, makes me much happier. Fighting the urge to cut makes me look at the underlying reason behind why I am having that urge and making me address the cause, instead of taking it out on my hair.
    Pix~Bob~CBL~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~TBL~CL...We'll see
    WO/SO due to scalp hating EVERYTHING! Slowly regrowing from a massive shed and trimming often to keep the ends healthy.

Length
    APL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Anyone else find the long hair growth journey kind of cathartic?

I also find it cathartic. I once had long hair, TBL, and I'm trying to get back to that. The journey makes me reflect on those times in my life...what I miss, what I cherish, what I'm glad has changed. It's easy for others to think hair is just a vain thing but it really isn't.

Length
    CBL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Oh I'm right there with ya!

I never finish anything because I get extremely impatient. Now since starting my hair journey, I now have a set deadline to a goal that will come. No matter what I do, hair does grow, so I know this is one goal I will actually reach. ( for once!)
    This gives me confidence to take it a step further, to sort of "revise" myself. (Not sure if that is the exact word I was looking for)

My first goal as far as hair goes is hip length. By then my other self improvment goal should be met, it is to also be fluent in Chinese.

I'm also learning other new things as well, and even started playing Piano again!
    For years I have started tasks and stopped. There are so many things I've wanted to do. So now I'm on my way to accomplish everything I once started and more.

It all started because of my decision to grow out my hair
    Watching it grow month to month isn't so much about length anymore.

I don't just see my hair slowly growing, I see myself slowly growing.
    Last edited by Mrstran; January 15th, 2017 at 08:09 PM.

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Growing my hair has taught me patience. I also want instant gratification. I have done many things while waiting for my hair to grow. I've gotten my economy squared away. I've relandscaped my garden.

Throughout my years of growing I've had bad times and good times. During the bad times I've consoled myself with the thought that at least I've got my hair.
    Lady Malene of the Misty Memories of Yore, Shieldmaiden in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'd say the growing process is a catharsis for me in several ways.

- As some have mentioned, the growing process was a great way to learn patience after half a lifetime of impulsive hair choices. It's taught me to sit down and think about what I really want, in the short and the long term, and how I really feel about something, and I've been able to apply that to other parts of my life for sure.

- It took me about 4 years of growing, but once my hair hit a certain length I started to feel more like myself in a way I'd never experienced. If I hadn't had the patience, I would never have found this feeling of fundamental rightness. Which seems silly, because it's just hair after all, but sometimes you just don't know what's right for you until you try it. Every new little milestone feels almost oddly familiar, like I should've been feeling it my whole life but was missing out.

- My hair is an outlet for my anxiety. When I'm feeling worked up, I can detangle or work some oil or serum into it or put it up in a different style from what it was in, and it helps me to calm down a bit. It's stuff that needs to be done anyway most of the time, but it's like a little ritual. I can visualize every tangle or every dry spot as something that's bothering me and working it out is getting rid of the problem, or I can pretend that my previous style was holding all my frustrations and that taking it down is setting them free so the new style is fresh and empty of worry.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Love this thread! In terms of growing, it's nice to always have something to come back to, regardless of where my life is going. And it's nice to be able to toss it up and forget about it and head out into the world to CONQUER. It sounds like others in this thread understand that I also like suddenly realizing my hair grew a bunch while I wasn't watching xD

Hair styling and treatments and detangling and all that good stuff is also an outlet for me. I call it self care cause I feel so much better afterwards, and it gives me something to focus on instead of focusing on anxious thoughts. It makes it easier to remember to be gentle.
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It went past me a couple of times, as I experimented heavily with henna, color, and bleach even (to get it all back out). I was just very critical of my own hair color, that took me back to chin *twice*, and after a chemical cut & burn I said, now, this is it. And then I grew it out. There was an episode of perming *twice* in there too, which had me back from hip to BSL in the end. Yeah, I came a long way. I can't say it was a journey I was particularly conscious of. Time passed and it grew. It grew to classic. I maintained that for a year, then cut back to hip. Now I'm on the no trimming 2017 thread and I am growing it back out. Hair changes, lengths change. I don't think it's necessarily an end-journey. I think more of it as being constantly evolving, depending on how you feel.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Absolutely. I love what you said about hair length representing personal growth. The longer mine has become, the more I've matured and learned about life. I've definitely grown as a person since I started my hair journey, and I plan to continue on this path of self discovery.

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

So I'm biased because I'm the op but I'm really enjoying this thread! It's really inspiring reading your posts, about all the great things you guys are getting out of growing and looking after your hair. Who'd have thought such a simple naturel thing could lead to so much more!
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

This has been my first time growing it long and I definitely have. One, it has been fun to slowly see progress and experience a bunch of new things that I didn't appreciate. Two, it's been good for my patience, particularly the awkward stage. Three, I have learned to deal with criticism and not worry about what others think when it comes to something that really doesn't affect them. It a fun way to track time too since I can associate certain memories with how long my hair was, and looking at pictures form the last 2-3 years has been fun too.