Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about hard water

Length
    zip/knee/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Questions about hard water

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Diva View Post
    I feel like I try and try and nothing is ever REALLY going to work that well EVER here, without a price. Chelating often enough to get the minerals off has a price I believe for the somewhat fineness level of my hair: if it is strong enough to work, it's harsh and stripping. And all I would have to do to get much better, satisfying hair is move? (And spend years growing three feet of hair without that stress/ damage from constantly stripping it, and fighting tangles, and breakage, so it would grow out healthier, no question). It's very frustrating, and I feel angry when I encounter my hair doing instantly, noticeably better with soft water, in a childish, 'it's not fair' kind of way.
    I live with the hardest water in Canada, I feel this pain.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    It was no fun since the henna literally bled orange water all over me
    My henna usually *stuck* to my hair pretty well! Apart from maybe the first few washes afterwards.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    CL/APL/WL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I live in Los Angeles, and the water here is terrible. It's better where I live but 40% of my week is spent at my boyfriends house in Echo Park and the water there is HORRIBLE. My hair feels 10x better since I used a chelator. I did it once and can totally feel a difference. Now I just need to find a balance, what to do in between using the chelator. My hair seems to like shampoo bars and an ACV rinse with every wash. Hard water does take a lot more effort to fix. Maybe see if you can afford a water filter?

Length
    APL/~BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Pantene ice shine is an excellent inexpensive product that clarifies and chelates due to its formula. I've added it weekly or biweekly, and it's a godsend for me. I love the easy one step process of a clean hair start. Just make sure you deeply moisturize after.
    Lady Maple
    Mistress of the
    Red-Leaf Glade in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HIP

Length
    zip/knee/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

And just so people know the frustration isn't just one sided, in areas with super soft water, newcomers get grumpy that they can't get soap to rinse out and that their water tastes "flat".

I should mention the soap thing though (this applies equally to detergents), if you are used to soft water, do not be alarmed if things don't lather as well as you are used to. They still work okay, but you might need to use slightly more than you would have before. Conversely, the first time I went somewhere with very, very soft water, I was super amused by how fluffy the soap went the first time I washed my hands. It felt comical! I have moved many times and literally travelled around the world, the difference the water can make really can be very dramatic.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.