Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satin or silk pillowcase?

Length
    APL/BSL/tlb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Satin or silk pillowcase?

I decided it was time to switch from my cotton pillowcase, but have seen both satin and silk pillowcases mentioned. Which do you like better? Best place to buy one? Thanks

Length
    2/69/70?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Satin or silk pillowcase?

Satin is type of fabric weave, and silk is a fiber. You can have silk satin, cotton satin (which is usually called sateen), and polyester satin, among others. Some people find that silk sating absorbs moisture better than synthetic fibers, but I don't really notice a big difference.

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Having used both, I found satin to be more durable and slippery. I made the mistake of washing a silk pillowcase in the washing machine resulting in pulls and tears so bad I had to toss it out.
    Satin Pillowcases at JcPenney
    Satin and Silk Pillowcases at TenderHeaded.com

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I got a satin acetate pillowcase at Sally's Beauty Supply for not too much. My hair is definitely less tangled in the mornings.

I prefer silk just because it's a natural fiber and it feels softer and more luxurious to me, but it does take extra care.

If you do decide to go for silk I'd recommend going for top quality (look for momme (weight) and mulberry silk as well as thread count) as it'll be more durable and you should be able to wash it in the machine on a gentle cycle.

I got my pillow case from http://www.betweenthesheets.co.uk/ but it was pretty pricey (especially the shipping!) and if you're just getting one pillow case you might as well handwash it to extend the life even further.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I like satin pillow case but even silk is not a bad option at all. I buy the pillow cases from the best shop in town, although its pricey it provides with the best design and material.

Length
    22/28/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Silk is so much more expensive and a bit more hard to keep in good condition. Not a big deal if your ear-ring gets caught in a cheaper satin pillowcase.

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I find satin, even silk, creates static in my rather dry hair. So I use silk other silk weaves. My favourite is sluff or raw silk, which is a little grainy and stops any slipping and as it is more robust can be washed in the washing machine on the handwash option (is also the cheapest type of silk). Otherwise I have a charmeuse half slip which I put over my pillow (particularly good when traveling, no need to bring pillowcase in baggage) or a woven silk scarf both of which work really well.

On the laundry front the easiest way to wash delicate silk is to but it in a bowl of warm water with some delicate detergent and leave it to soak for an hour or two, then rinse, but I find the most important thing is not to wash it unless it needs to be and don't iron it. Depending on how my hair's behaving (it is very dry) my pillowcase sometimes doesn't get washed for months, hence I'm still using the same two my mother gave me five years ago and they're not showing any wear.

Hope you find what you need.

Length
    15/26/31
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

oh silk! silk !
    I bought two from http://www.slipslip.com.au/range.htm
    Definitely less hair tangles and they are gentle on (middle aged) skin..
    No static electricity from them and I'm sure I perspire less with silk than the satin pillow slips. I have been washing them for ages now on the regular cycle/cold water/gentle washing powder in the washing machine with no damage at all.

Length
    Bob/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I have some velvet pillowcase set with bedsheet, but can ask my mom to make me a silk pillow, and i just know she haves the perfect silk color for me royal purple