Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I go about getting this colour?

Length
    ?/JL/JL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Default How should I go about getting this colour?

Hello again!

Let's get right to the point. Recently I found this picture in google images:

http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/77b1...a-murderer.jpg

Oh, do I love this shade of red! Last weekend I did my first henna and have been rocking my carrot coloured locks ever since but I've been thinking about whether or not I should go redder. In all honesty I think the orange is tad bit too garish and I think this colour would look better on me.

Here are two pictures of me currently:

http://imgur.com/thYAG9d
    http://imgur.com/icV3i0u

I'm assuming I can achieve a colour similar to this with around one or two more full applications of henna. I used Jamila for my first henna (no wonder it went so orange!) and I have some Rajasthani sitting in my freezer; would letting it sit on my head for around 4 hours get me close to this colour? Do you think it'll suit me, more importantly?

Also, I just wanted to say how amazing that film is of which that girl in the image is from. I ended up watching it out of curiosity and got hooked! It's a very peculiar film, but I found it fascinating. It's called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Watch at your own risk! I might just have to read the book.
    Growing out hair dye since December 1st, 2017.
    May my hair growth be plentiful!

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: How should I go about getting this colour?

Two things:
    1. Yes, this is the kind of red you will have right after henning (for few days at least) and than it will turn more aburn. Probably one more application will not go too dark on you, but it is always a chance.
    2. This kind of professional photography (cinematography) is done withe a tone of different lights and camera filters to achieve exactly what a DOP (director of photography) wants visually, so it is not representation of that's girls real color. I think she might have hair more like yours IRL.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Erizu View Post
    Hello again!
    http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/77b1...a-murderer.jpg
    (...)
    http://imgur.com/icV3i0u
    (...)
    Also, I just wanted to say how amazing that film is of which that girl in the image is from. I ended up watching it out of curiosity and got hooked! It's a very peculiar film, but I found it fascinating. It's called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Watch at your own risk! I might just have to read the book.
    Oh I read the book - it is *amazing*! Do read it when you get a chance! If you don't want to be in the head of a serial killer, skip it.

I think it's one thing to get totally infatuated with a movie to where you want a person's color, it's another thing to transport this all into reality. I think your color is pretty similar already, it just depends on the lighting. If you had artificial lights on you like that character, then it would be the same color. I think you don't need to do a thing to it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ?/JL/JL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Oh I read the book - it is *amazing*! Do read it when you get a chance! If you don't want to be in the head of a serial killer, skip it.

I think it's one thing to get totally infatuated with a movie to where you want a person's color, it's another thing to transport this all into reality. I think your color is pretty similar already, it just depends on the lighting. If you had artificial lights on you like that character, then it would be the same color. I think you don't need to do a thing to it!
    It sounds right up my alley! I ordered the book today; I'm not sure if I've ever been this excited about a book before. To be honest, I think all the colours on the henna spectrum are beautiful. I originally wanted to go completely red so I think this colour will be a good compromise!

OMG I love your hair more than hers including the color! Personally, I wouldn't apply more henna over what you already have. I have never done henna before but I have had RED hair for 2-3 years. From what I've seen, multiple all over applications of henna can potentially darken your hair... and if you get it darker and darker it will start to turn auburn and then wine and then brownish and it will no longer seem red anymore. I'm sure most people do scalp-only or roots-only applications for the new growth only.

My recommendation is to use a diluted semi-permanent dye. Yes, it will be brighter at first and fade out but it can stain permanently, which could potentially be a good thing. For that shade of red I would mix Ion "blood orange" with "red" and a squirt of "cantaloupe" (a yellow color, so it's not too unnatural looking and dark) and dilute it in some coconut milk or conditioner. Try to do test strands or go easy on the semi-permanent dye at first, because too strong a concoction could end up being shocking. I have only used Ion semi permanents and Manic Panic personally and I much preferred the Ion brand. You could use any you desire!

Length
    ?/JL/JL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Hm... I do like the colour I have right now. I'd just like a little more 'oomph'. What about henna glosses? It would be a much more controlled process of getting a colour I'm happier with. What do you think?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hm... I do like the colour I have right now. I'd just like a little more 'oomph'. What about henna glosses? It would be a much more controlled process of getting a colour I'm happier with. What do you think?
    It will be a weaker color still. And as with everything regarding henna: strand test on shed hair first.

Length
    ?/JL/JL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    It will be a weaker color still. And as with everything regarding henna: strand test on shed hair first.
    Well, I'd expect for the colour to be weaker. Do you think it's a bad idea? Sorry for all the questions, by the way!

Length
    ?/JL/JL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by kidari View Post
    OMG I love your hair more than hers including the color! Personally, I wouldn't apply more henna over what you already have. I have never done henna before but I have had RED hair for 2-3 years. From what I've seen, multiple all over applications of henna can potentially darken your hair... and if you get it darker and darker it will start to turn auburn and then wine and then brownish and it will no longer seem red anymore. I'm sure most people do scalp-only or roots-only applications for the new growth only.

My recommendation is to use a diluted semi-permanent dye. Yes, it will be brighter at first and fade out but it can stain permanently, which could potentially be a good thing. For that shade of red I would mix Ion "blood orange" with "red" and a squirt of "cantaloupe" (a yellow color, so it's not too unnatural looking and dark) and dilute it in some coconut milk or conditioner. Try to do test strands or go easy on the semi-permanent dye at first, because too strong a concoction could end up being shocking. I have only used Ion semi permanents and Manic Panic personally and I much preferred the Ion brand. You could use any you desire!
    After thinking about this for a little while I've decided I'm intrigued by the idea of using semi-permanent dyes over henna. The sheer amount of options is a bit overwhelming, though. Maybe I'll have a look at Directions as I think they're more easily found in the UK.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well, I'd expect for the colour to be weaker. Do you think it's a bad idea? Sorry for all the questions, by the way!
    It's fine, asking questions! Honestly!

Just get yourself some henna, and collect shed hair for a few weeks, then test on that. Don't use your head as a lab, because you might regret it and henna is *so* darn permanent, you'll have lots of issues just trying to bleach it out.