Thread: Herbal Treatments & Henna - which order for most colour & curl retention?

Length
    Pixie/20/30
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Herbal Treatments & Henna - which order for most colour & curl retention?

Hi guys, i really need some advice.
    I havent been on here for ages, been slacking quite a bit in my hair care lately, trying to get back into things now that i'm having more time inside to let things sit and soak in again but im a little rusty on my herbal hair care advice and a little pressed for time on an action plan, so i've come to the pros for some guidance.
    So,
    1) I have brown hair, medium to pretty dark, with a small handful of greys at the top - my hair presently has a nice natural wave/flippiness to it that i dont want to lose, because on days it loses that i have to actually do something with it and im way too lazy for doing that!
    Fyi -I usually just shampoo and go. But sometimes (infrequently lately though) "shampoo" instead with a mix of a sprinkle kf each of amla, shikakai, aloe powder & hibiscus powder, and rinse and go - that seems to really activate my waves and flips, which i love.
    2) planning on going back to dying with henna, probably soon as in the next week or so
    3)I have had great success in the past with catnip tea as a rinse, and/or leave in conditioner, and i would like to get back into using that as soon as possible, so i want to keep away from anything that will leave a coating/buildup on my hair because i remember that conflicting
    3) i have on hand already the following herbs: henna, cassia, ziziphus, amla, aloe powder, hibiscus powder, neem, rhassoul clay, a mix called sukesh ayurveda that contains a mix of cassia, amla, neem, aloe vera, tulsi, bhrami, bhringraj & shikkakai, and im picking up a fresh pkg of catnip today to make tea because my cats must have gotten into my old stash.
    ** So - my question to you guys is:
    Would there be any benefits (conditioning wise, or colour-wise or curl-keeping-wise) or negative effects (colour-absorbing-wise, or curl-keeping-wise) to doing any of these herbal treatments before or after the henna? Ex. If i have the time and advance planning, whats my best course of action to maximize colour and curl (and if possible conditioning although my hair is in pretty healthy shape right now)
    Would you bother to - i dont know, say cassia or ziziphus or sukesh ayurveda treatment, then henna with hibiscus, then aloe/amla, then start my catnip leave-ins, for maximum conditioning and curl retention? Or would you henna first while hair is still in kind of raw shape to soak up as much colour and strengthening as possible, then start other conditioning treatments afterwards, then the amla?
    I dont have experience with cassia or ziziphus to know how it would effect my waves, so any experts on that tag them to chime in, and even with my former henna eclerience my hair was much longer then so it weighed it down more straight i dont know how much wave was lost from henna or just not noticeble because of length weight. (My hair is pretty thick or there's a lot of it, but its only shoulder length now)
    I have a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and i was hoping to have that henna glow going on but keep my effortless beachy waves for easy styling. But i dont want it all crispy and crunchy either so if theres a good order to maximize conditioning and curl and colour the best, direct me accordingly because i have to start this process soon.
    Tag any appropriate herbal experts (i know ktani is the catnip girl but im not sure who is the go-to-pro for henna colour or curl maximizing, etc.)
    Oh also, my aim is to get the more like bugundy/cherry/mahogany whatever cooler/less orangey orange effect from the henna if possible, if that makes a difference in what you'd recommend using together. I have Red Raj from henna sooq and i think Hibiscus powder in the mix is supposed to help with that as well. i think using amla in your henna mix is supposed to tone down the red leave things more brown so i didnt want to use it that way, i figured best to wait until after the henna has "taken" first before using your amla again? Let me know if that is right or not.
    I just need help deciding what would be best. Lol. My hair needs to look nice enough to distract me from the fact that i'll be in a bathing suit, you know what i mean? Lol.
    Thanks guys.

Length
    Pixie/20/30
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Herbal Treatments & Henna - which order for most colour & curl retention?

Little disappointed at the zero replies.
    Gave up waiting, have red raj henna and hibiscus on my head now.
    Can anyone chime in on opinions on how long to wait before i use any amla if the henna has taken away my waves? I dont want to take away any of the colouring effects of the henna.

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Herbal Treatments & Henna - which order for most colour & curl retention?

I have little knowledge of the others but I know that Amla will make the henna more brown so stay away from that! Also, oil can pull color. I'm wondering about curl retention as well.
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Ear-Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL->Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic