Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar Bristle Brush Stinks?

Length
    Chin/SL/Tlbne

Default Boar Bristle Brush Stinks?

I recently bought a new boar bristle brush, but today I decided to wash it after using it, so I used hot water and shampoo. After I washed it, it seemed to smell really bad. Like a pig sty. It didn't smell like that before I washed it. It's almost dry now but still has that terrible smell. What can I do about it?

Type
    2c/C/iii

Default Re: Boar Bristle Brush Stinks?

They do smell bad when they're wet. I assume it's going to stop smelling when it's 100% dry, like mine always does.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

This just happened to me, and it will stop smell when it's dry, luckily!

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Put it in a place where it can dry throughly. There have been recent posts about it where advice was given, and I think mainly what you can do is put it in direct sunlight to dry.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

The smell goes after a while, just fill a jug with warm soapy water and swish it around and then leave it to dry, do this a few times and it will go!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Type
    2b/M/iii

Do not put it in direct sunlight.

It might be that the shampoo you used has something in it that does not mesh well with the boar bristles.

Next time, try a gentle hand soap..Ivory for example. Use warm, not hot water, and don't let the brush soak for more than 7 minutes. Rinse well with cold running water. Shake out all of the excess water you can by fanning the bristles several times with your fingers, and wipe off the rest of the brush. Place it bristles side facing downward on a lint free cloth to dry.

I am at a loss to understand why your bbb should smell. In over 40 years I've never had one do that. Good luck!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Do not put it in direct sunlight.

It might be that the shampoo you used has something in it that does not mesh well with the boar bristles.

Next time, try a gentle hand soap..Ivory for example. Use warm, not hot water, and don't let the brush soak for more than 7 minutes. Rinse well with cold running water. Shake out all of the excess water you can by fanning the bristles several times with your fingers, and wipe off the rest of the brush. Place it bristles side facing downward on a lint free cloth to dry.

I am at a loss to understand why your bbb should smell. In over 40 years I've never had one do that. Good luck!
    great advise, my smelt a bit when i first got it, but nothing too bad! I wash mine in baby bath lotion, rinse and then leave it on my dressing table table to dry.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

this happened to me too! Just bought a brand-new 100% boar bristle brush, washed it and the smell is bad. really bad. noticed that it was made in China. wonder if country of origin has anything to do with it?

The thing is, I have had boar bristle brushes all my life, washed them, but have never smelled one like this. in fact, have never noticed a smell at all when they were wet. my other non-stinky brushes are Mason Pearson and Flarence Billion.

can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't smell?
    Last edited by Lavenderhaze; August 24th, 2016 at 01:24 PM.

I have one by Conair; I love it and never had it smell after cleaning it
    https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Stylin...ars+hair+brush

hi groovy granny, thanks for answering! The one I just bought that is stinky is a Conair paddle brush with a wooden handle. it is really a beautiful brush and couldn't believe it was only nine dollars. looks quite different from the one you linked to.