Also someone who got into long hair care from Curly Girl method (it's literally what made me think I could actually take care of long hair again, tbh.) I definitely pick and choose - I don't even remember the full instructions anymore. I never use gel unless I'm doing a very specific style that has to stay photo-pretty all day. I think the last time was at my sister's graduation and I'd done a french twist the first time.

I CO wash, use hair oil for flyaways, and only shampoo if I got something in my hair like gel, chlorine, or saltwater. I shift between a leave-in and a regular conditioner - the brands I use are Beautiful Curls for leave-in and Giovanni for wash-out, and I keep both on hand all the time. I avoid cones and sulfates, but that's as much because I have to have a gluten-free conditioner which pushes me into fancier cone-and-sulfate-free brands on its own. The main thing I have struggled with is that if I'm not careful about how MUCH leave-in I use my hair can wind up greasy, but if it does I just use the wash-out conditioner the next couple times until it's rebalanced.

Again, watch your hair and see how it does with your product of choice, but since you asked for brand suggestions those're mine. I think a technique you're comfortable using consistently will matter more than what exactly you're using in the end.