Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Henna Help Dry or Damaged Ends?

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

Question Does Henna Help Dry or Damaged Ends?

I was wondering if henna can help my dry, rough ends. They tangle alot and are frustrating to deal with. I don't want cut them without trying my best to help improve them in some way. Has anyone hennaed only their ends? Did the henna strengthen your ends? Did it improve their texture? Thanks in advance for any replies!
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Does Henna Help Dry or Damaged Ends?

I don't know if it'll strengthen them, I'll leave that answer to the more experienced.

But if you don't want red ends, maybe you should consider cassia instead? It's basically colourless unless you have very light blonde hair, then it gives a sort of golden sheen.

June 2018: Big chop
    CBL - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by PixieP View Post
    I don't know if it'll strengthen them, I'll leave that answer to the more experienced. But if you don't want red ends, maybe you should consider cassia instead? It's basically colourless unless you have very light blonde hair, then it gives a sort of golden sheen.
    Does cassia has the same effects as henna? I have nearly black hair, so color is not likely to show up vividly.
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think it can, but some people also find henna drying. Mine often likes some additional conditioning immediately after, or some conditioner mixed in to counter the drying effects. I don't really know how my hair responded to some treatments pre-henna (which i started using in about 2004 or 2005), but after henna it doesn't care for protein and really liked moisture treatments.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would not do it, unless you have tried the standard things like clarifying. If that doesn't work, try protein, then moisture. Then do henna. Henna was always drying for me, even after rinsing out and after next washes. It had the same clingy effect as bleach did. With virgin loose hair and a scarf, my hair never bunched up at the nape, with henna it did. Goes to show you how rough my cuticle was with henna, and I had the same thing with bleach.

So I would give cassia a go first, if I were you. It's milder, less drying (on me).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I think it can, but some people also find henna drying. Mine often likes some additional conditioning immediately after, or some conditioner mixed in to counter the drying effects. I don't really know how my hair responded to some treatments pre-henna (which i started using in about 2004 or 2005), but after henna it doesn't care for protein and really liked moisture treatments.
    Henna makes my hair kind of dry, too. What else can be used to make henna less drying?
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would not do it, unless you have tried the standard things like clarifying. If that doesn't work, try protein, then moisture. Then do henna. Henna was always drying for me, even after rinsing out and after next washes. It had the same clingy effect as bleach did. With virgin loose hair and a scarf, my hair never bunched up at the nape, with henna it did. Goes to show you how rough my cuticle was with henna, and I had the same thing with bleach. So I would give cassia a go first, if I were you. It's milder, less drying (on me).
    I tried all of those things, but nothing seems to work. It feels exactly the same.
    SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL

Length
    6/7/15
    Type
    1c/M/i

Henna definitely makes my hair softer but it always breaks hairs off on the under layer. Maybe because it's heavy or dry on those parts. Not sure. For that reason I'd be hesitant

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

You may be better off doing an SMT treatment after clarifying. You find this will work very well for you.
    Also check out the catnip thread for split ends. I've not tried it yet.

I do think henna strengthens hair but it's not for everyone. You need to love red and be ok long term with that color. As henna settles hair can feel dry for several days. It's nit drying to the hair, it's just all that packed henna doing its thing. Henna adds amazing shine and health to the hair. Some hair types simply never calm down with henna. I'm not sure why but I know some say it causes more tangles.
    I'm a big henna fan and since I can't use regular dye it's my hair life partner.

Cassia will not work like henna. You can get shine and short term help but nothing long term.bi never had the strength from cassia that I get from henna either.
    Last edited by Lavendersugar; May 27th, 2016 at 09:42 AM.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It does for my hair, it leaves it stronger, thicker and healthier. My hair couldn't survive without henna, it would be weak and breaking all the time. I love the red glow and I never have any problem with using it.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!