Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anybody use sulfate Shampoos?

Length
    2/22/24/25

Default Does anybody use sulfate Shampoos?

Currently, Im using a sulfate free shampoo. I've been using it for about 10 months, but I kinda have the feeling that I need to switch now to something else. I'm considering going back to regular shampoos, I don't know... I just found these articles.

http://simplyorganicbeauty.com/why-s...ing-hair-loss/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...ate-hair-loss/

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Does anybody use sulfate Shampoos?

I use sulfate shampoo always (anything from Balea) and I never noticed any extreme hairfall. It's the only thing that properly cleans my scalp

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

My scalp is happiest with sulfate shampoo.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There is nothing wrong with sulfate shampoo if your scalp can take it. I say don't change a winning team. I tried to go sulfate free and tried to CO-wash as well: disaster. I have SD, so I need harsher cleansers. Imagine if they were to all ban sulfates from shampoos. I think I would be having to buy Nizoral all the time. Although, I have a backstash that will last me for a few years still.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

The only problem with sulfates is if you have a particular sensitivity or allergy to them, they can be irritating even in small amounts. For the most part as long as you rinse your hair thoroughly after shampooing (and make sure the length and ends get enough conditioner!) there is absolutely nothing to fear from sulfates.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I always use sulfate shampoo, I just make sure it doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate because that one irritates my scalp. But sodium laureth as well as any of the ammonium sulfates are fine for me. Sulfates are the only way to get my scalp area feeling really clean and volumized and to keep my lengths feeling really good and silky. I think it's because I wash off any chance of buildup at every shampoo so my conditioners and oils can really penetrate, thus keeping my hair moisturized.

edited to add that I have no problems with losing too much hair, I've used sulfates for years and if anything since I found LHC my hair has gotten thicker.
    Last edited by arr; May 26th, 2016 at 06:05 AM.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Yep, my shampoo is SLES. I usually dilute it substantially and use it mainly on my scalp. Works fine for me and distributes better watered down.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Lots of us here use sulphates and I'm one of them

I know many hold fast to the notion that our own natural sebum is the ideal oil/conditioner, but that simply doesn't hold true for me. My hair hates the oil my scalp produces and gets sticky with any accumulation - pairs of strands get stuck together as if glue has dried on them, and having to detangle when my strands are in that state is one of the ways I've accumulated a sizeable amount of damage. My hair is happiest when it's stripped regularly of buildup, and for me clear sulphate shampoos are best at doing that job.

My compromise for minimizing possible drying out from sulphate use is to shampoo twice a week, followed by a rich conditioner with a light silicone, and every remaining day of the week I just CO with that same conditioner. In truth, I could probably S&C daily with sulphates and silicones and my hair would be happy happy - I did that for years and my hair was in great condition! In fact it was when I moved to a sulphate-free and a more 'natural' routine that I developed problems with buildup, dryness, tangles and breakage. And it was when I moved back to sulphate shampoo and silicone conditioner that I was able to re-establish hair health and get ahead of the damage cycle. My scalp has never been finicky, so sensitivity to sls/sles has never been an issue for me.

Of course this is what MY hair wants, not necessarily anyone else's. We're all different, and there simply is no one product type or routine that's universally beneficial. Use what works, ditch what doesn't, and be flexible enough to change it up if something stops working for you - I think that's about as universal as hair advice gets
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I use a sulphate shampoo every two weeks or so. Often it's a clarifying wash like Joico. Sometimes just regular shampoo, sometimes a dandruff shampoo.

Length
    Chin/Hip!/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

When I was last active on LHC awhile ago, I began an all-natural, no-cones, no-sulfate routine. I didn't really notice a change in my hair, except in the amount of shedding and breakage. It was excessive!

When I ran out of my organic, all-natural stuff while out of the country, I had to use cones and a shampoo labled "low-sulfate" for about 2 weeks. I immediately noticed less shedding while washing/conditioning. Just to double check that it was indeed my all-natural products that was causing the shedding, I returned to it until the bottle was empty. Once I used it up, I didn't re-purchase. Instead, I began using Tresseme Naturals (which, looking at the ingredients, doesn't seem very "natural" at all). I had a half bottle of both the conditioner and the shampoo left over from my pre-LHC days. Again, much less shedding. So now, I'm trying to find a good cone-y conditioner and a lower-sulfate shampoo.

Anyone have any opinions on low-sulfate vs. Regular ol' sulfate-y shampoos? I think it's the cones that are making a difference in my shedding and breakage so I'll need some kind of sulfate to prevent build up. I'm interested to see if anyone here thinks low-sulfate is any different or less damaging than shampoos that aren't labeled "low-sulfates".