Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Rope Braid

Gather hair in a ponytail (to keep this braid centered it may be easiest to secure with an elastic before braiding) and divide in two sections. Twist each section independently in the same direction and then twist them together in the opposite direction of the independent twist. This is a traditional rope making method. The opposing twists keep the two strands together while maintaining visually distinct twisted strands. If the two sections are not distinguishable then there is an error in the twisting, likely the two sections are being twisted together in the same direction of the independent twists.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Rose Bun

This is a rope braid that is coiled into a cinnamon bun and has a very distinct appearance.

Rope Braid

Gather hair in a ponytail (to keep this braid centered it may be easiest to secure with an elastic before braiding) and divide in two sections. Twist each section independently in the same direction and then twist them together in the opposite direction of the independent twist. This is a traditional rope making method. The opposing twists keep the two strands together while maintaining visually distinct twisted strands. If the two sections are not distinguishable then there is an error in the twisting, likely the two sections are being twisted together in the same direction of the independent twists.

Rose Bun
    Start twisting the rope braid at the base in the same direction as the final twist (otherwise you will untwist the braid). As it twists, start wrapping it around the base in a circle shape. Pin loops down as you go with pins. Can be held by other methods such as claws, hairsticks and forks.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Seashell Bun (aka Moezland bun)

from: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=65935
    1. Make a mid-high ponytail. Do not secure.
    2. Coil your hair up (it doesn’t have to be coiled all the way to the ends)
    3. Take two fingers from your right hand and put them underneath your long coil
    4. Take the coil and wrap it behind your fingers
    5. Wrap again, but this time wrap your hair around just your index finger
    6. Flip to the left and slide your fingers out slowly
    7. If your tail sticks out, tuck it underneath the top right side of the bun. Insert your hair stick beginning at the top right, catch hair in the middle, and poke out of the left side coil.

Voila! Beautiful seashell bun!

Tips:
    ~This bun is much more secure if you wear it with two sticks. I like to put mine in an X shape
    ~For longer hair, this bun works if you first wrap it around 4 fingers, and then wrap it between 2 fingers instead of the 2 and then the 1
    ~Weaving your hair sticks through the bun helps secure it too
    ~This bun can also be secured with hair pins, Amish pins, spin pins or hair screws, claw clips, beak clips, and Ficcares. Sticks are my personal favorite way to secure it though. However, if the sticks don't work for you, you can try a number of different ways to secure it

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Serpentine Medusa Wiggle Bun

Like the mythical Medusa, this bun is made up of multiple snake-like coils.

Gather hair into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Section as many times as you desire for appearance, thickness, and length. Tightly twist each section until it coils upon itself and pin. Pin each twisted section next to each other until all hair is coiled and pinned.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Brioche Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap hair around hand once and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of the loop. Using fingers grasp length and pull through loop fully to form a knot. Wrap remaining length behind knot. Flip knot down, separating it from the wrapped length. Secure with two sticks or fork.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Seubian Knot

Gather hair into a ponytail, twist and wrap around hand once and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of the loop. Using fingers grasp length and pull through partially for form a loop sticking out of a knot. Wrap remaining length behind knot and secure with pins, stick, fork, etc.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Shell's Everyday Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail and wrap around two fingers once (creating loop 1) and then around the base of the ponytail until it reaches the fingers sticking out of loop 1. Grasp length between two fingers, insert one finger from free hand in loop 1 and pull opposite the fingers pulling the length part way through loop 1 to create a small loop 2. Switch fingers so that loop 2 is held by thumb and loop 1 by a finger. Wrap remaining length behind knot. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Sock Bun

If using an actual sock, the common recommendation is ankle or mid-shin length. Cut the toe off the sock. If the material of the sock unravels darn the edges or choose another. A sock close in color to your hair color will blend in best. For less added volume, use a ring of pantyhose.
    Put your hair in a ponytail, secure with elastic. Roll up the sock so that it forms a ring and slip it over the ponytail. Pull it to the base of the ponytail so that all of the hair is gathered inside of it.

Pull the sock to the ends of your hair as close to the ends as you can. Tuck the hair around the side and into the center. Roll the sock down. Hold the ends of your hair at the center of the sock and roll the fabric down towards the base of the ponytail. The hair will gather in a ring around the sock. Rotate the sock as you roll it down so that it is completely covered by your hair.

When the sock has reached the base of the ponytail, adjust the edges so that none of the sock can be seen through your hair. Use bobby pins to secure the bun to your scalp if it feels loose or moves around at all.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Spidermom's Bun

Gather hair into a ponytail. Wrap length up over two fingers and down twice to create two loops. Wrap remaining length behind. Insert stick through one loop, behind center, and out other loop. Hair can be twisted while forming bun, but it is not necessary. If no twisting is used, the top layer of hair can be gently spread across the bun for a sleek look.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Spock Bun

Named for the starting position of the holding hand: pinky and ring fingers together, middle and index fingers together, and thumb extended: The Vulcan salute. "Live long and prosper."

Gather hair in a ponytail, form the Vulcan salute with one hand and place hand so ponytail emerges in V between fingers, wrap hair down over lower fingers, around and up again, then start as if wrapping around the base of the ponytail. When you reach the thumb, make sure thumb catches hair to hold a loop extended from the base. Maintain hold and continue wrapping around base. Insert fork through first loop held by fingers and out through loop held by thumb.