Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Log Roll

Gather ponytail and twist your hair a bit upwards into a "column", loop it around your thumb or a finger or two (whatever hold is most comfortable) and then wrap the rest of the hair around the column. Another way to describe this, the column is that distance between the base where the ponytail was initially gathered and the loop formed by holding the hair with thumb or finger(s), the length is wrapped around this section, so the distance between the base and the fingers will depend on your thickness and length. Tuck in the ends and secure with a Ficcare, other clip or sticks through (or over depending on tool) the loop held up and against the scalp hair.

Note: twisting not required for bun structure, substitute wrapping if preferred.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Neoma Knot Bun

Neoma Knot Bun (from: https://imgur.com/a/70kZU)

1. Gather hair in a ponytail in the middle of your head. Do not secure it with an elastic.
    2. Hold the ponytail with your left hand, fingers on the top of the pony, thumb underneath.
    3. With your right hand, lift the ponytail over the top of your left hand and drape it over the palm side of your left hand.
    4. With your right hand, bring the ponytail to the right til it reaches the donut hole in th eloop that you just created with your ponytail. Do not wrap the ponytail around another time.
    5. Continue to hold the ponytail with your right hand.
    6. Use the index and middle fingers of your left hand to pull the ponytail partway through the donut hole, only until you make a loop. Do not pull the pony all the way throug the donut hole.
    7. Thi is where it gets a little tricky. . .At this point, you should be holding on to two loops: the donut hole and the second loop. Use your right hand to open the second loop just a little.
    8. Put the thumb of your left hand through the donut hole to keep it open and put the pad of your thumb against your scalp.
    9. Insert the index finger of your left hand into the second loop and rest the pad of your index finger on your scalp.
    10. Use your right hand to wrap the remaining hair counter clockwise under the two loops, which will resemble a figure-8.
    11. Insert a hairstick through the top loop, picking up scalp hairs along the way. Exit the bun through the bottom loop.

Viola! You are finished. It looks and sounds complicated, but it only takes me a few seconds, and it holds securely all day.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; February 19th, 2018 at 06:37 PM.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Off Coil Bun

aka Tri-Coil Bun

A twisted bun, but instead of the twists wrapping around each other (cinnamon bun) or behind each other (bee butt bun), they are artfully arranged partially overlapped. Depending on thickness and dexterity, it may be necessary to pin each coil as it is created.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Palmier Bun

Bparnell's original description:

Let me see if I can describe it. pony goes under two fingers and up and around them. Then making the shape of a figure eight around the thumb and back round the original two fingers over and over until the length is used up. tightly holding the hair around the two fingers slip it off and put the fork right into the middle of that first loop, under original pony and through the loop that came off of the thumb. I kinda squeeze the two loops together as I put on the fork. Neither arm ever goes over the head. That's the best I can do. I will work on camera and way to record a tutorial then post it........THE PALMIER "NO BUN" BUN.

Input from Wispe:

Okay, I had to try it out for myself because reasons. I think I got it! I can hold it with a fork but all mine obscure the loops, which kind of defeats the point IMO, so I tried and just managed it with a stick, but it's less secure this way. The way it wraps likes to stick out weird from a side view, but it is minimized if I twist the tail before wrapping around the fingers. I suspect if I had a french barrette or smaller slide I could pin that bump down right above the bun and it'd look fine, but I don't own any clips like that as they all just slip right out of my hair. I get better hold and less of a hump if I braid nearly down to the nape, then twist/bun the remainder and make sure the stick goes under/through the last stitch of the braid...

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Pansy Bun

Gather hair into ponytail, doubled twist once to create a loop, twist and wrap length around loop, wrap end behind and tightly for security, spread loop up and over wrapped length (will not surround wrapped length on the bottom), insert tool just inside loop, behind center, and out just inside loop on opposite side.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Paracord Wrap (from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=117810)

Alright, so I’ve had a couple requests for an explanation on how to do hair wraps with paracord, so get ready for a bunch of pictures!

The wrap is really just a bunch of hitches in a row around the length of the hair. You can see this method on sailboats as ‘coxcombing’.

There are two main looks do doing this hair wrap, straight bar, and spiral. I’m doing the straight version in this tutorial, but if you want to do a spiral, don’t reverse the direction of each hitch, this will make sense once you’re actually doing it. Coxcombing is normally the spiral version. You can mix it up a little by alternating hitch directions at a different rate, like 3 left, 3 right, repeat, that would make a small zig zag pattern.

Paracord works well for this wrap, since it’s thin, strong, and smooth. For this tutorial I’m using some hemp rope I made because it shows up better in pictures, but you probably shouldn’t use something that thick (5mm) unless you have very thick hair all the way down your length. With a cord this big the hitches get unwieldy around a thin (<5” circumference) amount of hair. So use paracord at first, and once you get comfortable with it, you can try other things.

I would recommend starting with 10’ of paracord, the end result won’t be really long, but it’ll help you get an understanding of what the basic steps are. Plus, a really long wrap with paracord is stiff, and you likely won’t be used to having a stick growing from the back of your head.

You’ll probably want to start off by putting your hair in a ponytail, you won’t need to as you get better at doing this, but while you’re still learning, it’ll help a lot! I should have used one for this, as doing things with one hand and trying to take pictures with the other really messed me up.

TL;DR: Get 10’ of paracord and stick your hair in a ponytail.

Step 1: Find your ends

Step 2: Find the center of your rope. The little loop here is called a bight.

Step 3: Move your bight down the rope to form two loops. The bit my thumb is touching is the center of the rope.

Step 4: Fold the loops together, with the center of the rope wrapped around them.

Step 5: Put your hand in it like you would a ponytail holder. Keeping your pinky on the outside will help to keep the shape.

Step 6: Put that loop on your hair like a pony tail holder, and carefully tighten. Take note that the rest of the rope, which I’ll now call the tail, is pointing to the right.

Step 7: Make a loop, with the tail pointing to the left. Even if you do a spiral, the first hitch should be in the opposite direction of the ponytail loop to make it hold in place.

Step 8: Pull your hair through the loop like a ponytail.

Step 9: You’ll probably notice that now the two strands of the tail are wrapped up, rather than parallel. Make sure you have a little slack, and untwist them.

Step 10: Carefully tighten the hitch.

Step 11: If you want to do the straight bar, make a loop with the tail pointing the opposite direction of the last one.
    If you want to do the spiral, make a loop with the tail pointing the same direction of the last one.

Step 12: Pull you hair through the loop like a ponytail, uncross the strands, carefully tighten the hitch.

Repeat Steps 11-12 a lot.

Really, a lot.

Keep going.

Step 13: You’ve reached your ends, they might be even, they might not be. You can either continue hitches until only the tiny nubs of the ends remain, or you can knot them. If they’re uneven, you’ll probably want to knot them.

Step 13b: Wrap the ends around your hair so they’re on the underside of your wrap. Tie them in an overhand knot.

Step 13c: Make another overhand knot, forming a reef knot.

Step 13d: Twist the ends so they point vertically and are less likely to be seen.

Step 14: All done! Make sure to check in the mirror and carefully form the wrap into a straight line, they can get a little wavy. See my mess up at the bottom? I did two hitches in a row with tails to the left.

Remember how I warned you about stiffness?

If you get a tangle in your hair, try adding slack to the loop, moving it upward and out of the way. Then you can detangle and continue hitching.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Paranda

Habioku's instructions (adapted from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=91490)

How to make a yarn paranda:
    Choose material similar or contrasting to your hair color.

Number of strands depends on your hair thickness and your preference.

Measure the length of your ponytail and add about 10-15cm/4-6inches to this length; your wool strands have to be twice as long as this.

I use my table plate (90cm/35inches) to wrap the wool around (number have to be divisible by three), then I cut the strands on one end, so I get 180cm/70inch long strands (if you have no suitable item to wrap the wool around, you can simply measure the size you need)

Divide your strands in 3 equal parts and fold them in half.

Use the loop ends to knot all 3 strands together.

You can decorate the ends with tassels (traditional), pearls or other stuff; or just leave it like this if you want to wear them in buns (like I do).

How to use paranda:

I place the joint of the Paranda in the back of my neck, one strand over each shoulder and one down my back.

I part my hair, add the left Paranda strand to the left strand of my hair and the right Paranda strand to the right strand of my hair.

The joint of the Paranda is now right beneath the middle strand. Begin normal braiding (every strand of hair is thickened by the Paranda).

I finish the braid by wrapping 2-3 single wool strand around the braid and tie them to 2-3 other wool strands.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Pha Bun

Gather hair in ponytail, place hair stick or small fork along left side of ponytail, and pulling ponytail to the left over the stick twist the stick so that the tip of the stick is not pointing straight up. Holding stick with right hand, twist and wrap length around and behind the stick until ends are tucked in, lift top of stick straight up carefully inserting stick close to scalp and behind wrapped length and then out through the bottom loop.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; February 19th, 2018 at 06:52 PM.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Puffed Not-ilus

From Neoma's Nautilus tutorial:
    Gather your hair into a ponytail (do not secure with an elastic). Hold the ponytail with your left hand.
    Take your right hand and extend 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers. 1 if you have short hair, 4 if you have very long hair, and 2 or 3 if your hair is something inbetween.
    Place the extended fingers of your right hand below the gathered ponytail. Your palm should face down.
    With your left hand, guide your hair over the extended fingers and around them, so that it loops around your fingers and points back up (the tail should be to the left of the base of your ponytail).
    Don't let go of the tail with your left hand, but hold it gently so that it can move.
    Bend the fingers of your right hand so grasp the hair. Your fingers will be at your palm.
    Turn your right hand so that the knuckles move along the base of the ponytail and your palm faces forward, and straighten your fingers. You have now made a loop, which you will keep on the fingers of your right hand.
    With your left hand, begin wrapping the length of your hair. If you are looking at the back of your head, it will go clockwise. Continue wrapping until you get to the ends.
    With your right hand, spread the loop a bit if needed, add your thumb (entering the loop from the same side as your fingers), and slide the loop over the length that you just wrapped. Do not twist it again at this step.

Modification:
    Grab the center of the bun, the part that was wrapped and lift it up and over the loop toward the crown.
    Secure with a fork through the pulled wrap at the top and out through the bottom of the loop.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Rag curls

Start with damp hair. Rags can vary in size depending on desired outcome and hair length. They need to be long enough to tie after wrapping.

Position a rag about 1 inch from the bottom of a section of hair. Gently wind the tail of the hair around the rag and use your fingers to hold the tail in place as you roll the rag up toward your head, until the hair winding around it holds it in place. Roll it all the way up to your head and tie a square knot in it.

A useful modification to the traditional rag curl uses a sharpie or other fat pen with a clip. Slip end of rag behind pen clip leaving about an inch sticking out of the clip at the top and rag draped down the length of the pen. Begin wrapping hair around pen and rag. When wrapped all the way up (or as high as you want) slide the end of the rag out of the clip and slide the hair off the pen. Tie the two ends of the rag together in a square knot.

Once set, carefully untie the rags and unwrap the hair. Gently separate sections into smaller sections.