Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Fishtail Braid

Gather a hair into a ponytail and divide into two equal halves (main sections). From each half take a small (even) section and cross each small section over to the opposite main section. Repeat. Secure the end of the braid. If the small sections are not taken evenly, the braid will twist and the volumes in the main sections will not remain even.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ammonite Bun

Create a fishtail braid (use a ponytail base if you want the bun centered in a specific location). Wrap the braid in the same spiral pattern as a Cinnamon Bun. Hide tassel, pin securely.

Finished bun resembles the interior structure of an ammonite fossil.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

This thread has been on my mind - I wanted to add a post of mine from another thread that helped me with securing buns in general. The context is for hair that has grown longer and buns that previously worked are now not sitting right because the added length has changed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by teal View Post
    Also in terms of holding with a single stick - I ran into a problem where I'd put the stick in and it'd rotate down and wobble, no matter how tight the bun was (my hair is very, very slippery, escaping from buns even past mid-thigh length). Very annoying, the weight shifted off balance and it looked unintentionally haphazard to boot. For that, I inserted into the side of the bun and down to the scalp at 12 o'clock, rotate stick to be tangential to head, then (for a right-hand insert) angled towards 4 o'clock to grab some hair, then sharply towards 7 or 8 o'clock through the center of the bun, dip to scalp to grab a bit more hair, then up and out.
    Let me know if that needs clarification.
    bsl > mbl > hip > [tlb] > clsc > fingertip > thigh > knee > ???

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

How to do a married-status woman's Joseon bun. (From http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post2527638)

Step 1 - Part your hair down the center. Gather the hair at the very base of the neck. This is important, because it affects how the final bun will set. I smooth out the hair as best I can using a boar bristle brush (which I suspect is fake, go figure). Unlike a single woman's (or maiden's) braided hairstyle, there are no braids (french or laced) on the sides.
    Step 2 - Braid the ponytail into a simple 3-strand braid. Take it as far towards the ends as possible. It's perfectly fine if you want to use hair extensions or a parandi/paranda to thicken your braid. During the Joseon era, it was common to use horse hair to thicken and/or lengthen the braid. In fact, the more fancy ones would do a few rounds of the loop. You'll understand in the later steps. The key here is that a thicker braid makes for a more balanced bun. For all you super long-hairs, I envy you. This bun is right up your alley.
    Step 3 - Loop the end of the braid up under the base of the ponytail. Use a soft elastic to attach it, or use the super wide, long ribbon or a scarf needed in the next step. If you have layers, like me, the elastic may pull loose some of your layers within the braid... which it did to me.
    Step 4 - Wrap the chosen item around the attached area. This covers the work you did to attach it. It also adds needed thickness to insert the Binyeo, or hair stick.
    Step 5 - Now add the hair stick, pushing it through over-under-over. The loops hold it in place. It's best to use one of your longer hair sticks. It's perfect if you have a decorative hair stick, such as with a carving on the end. Most Binyeo have a larger end, typically pushed right-through-left, since being right-handed seemed common.

In Korean dramas, I usually see a much longer part, but my hair doesn't seem to cooperate that way. I realize my bun looks very "left heavy," but I did my best. Without extra hair, such as a synthetic add-in, I wouldn't get much out of it. In Korean dramas they usually use wigs anyway, and as I mentioned earlier, it was common to use horse hair. Don't even get me started on the wigs a Gisaeng would use, haha. I may update this post with the photos since my ponytail did not want to behave. I realize it keeps pointing left.

Speaking of Gisaeng, there's a similarity to the base portion of their hairstyle. I'd noticed they'd loop the braid as I've shown here, but it goes around the head entirely, just before the wig is attached. The wig is attached over the line the braid makes. The braid becomes a headband of sorts. I'm unsure how they would secure the braid, but my guess is small pins, just as the wig would need to be pinned down.

For a nobleman's daughter (unmarried maiden), I'm still on the fence between the side braids being a laced braid or teased dutch/coral braid in Korean dramas. The initial image from the OP's example does not look like what I've seen used commonly. If anything, that looks like a lazy version.

But an update on how I've seen the daenggi tied: I realize now that the one in the image is simply tied either once or twice the common way (one end over the other twice, to knot). The difference is the decorative pieces are carefully placed to be displayed. The half-rabbit ear loop I've mentioned before is commonly used for larger tied ribbons, such as a Yanban's decorative headband, the strings of his Gat (horse-hair shaded hat), and all Hanbok.

Since no one else has more accurately detailed info, I hope that my posts have been helpful enough.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Knot Bun (from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post1408991)

I think there's no tutorials about it, because it really just is a knot
    Like, do a ponytail (with or without elastic at the base), make a knot into the length near your head and pin it with whatever works for your hair (sticks, u-pins, screws, scrunchies, hairfork/comb etc.).
    If there's excess length you can wrap it around the bun or do the other version of this bun, which is sometimes referred to as "comet-knot", but it's basically a knot-bun with unpinned length.
    The length is just left hanging down, instead of wrapped around the bun. A great style to "shorten" the length of a ponytail which distributes the weight of it better and makes an ordinary ponytail look a bit more fancy.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Disc Bun (Modified from http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332)

1. Gather your hair in a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. If you need to secure the pony do so, but if you can avoid it, I'd skip that step. (I'm right handed and I hold the pony with my left hand.)

2. While you hold the ponytail with one hand, divide it into 2 sections and use your fingers to keep them separated (I keep one section between ring and middle finger and the other between thumb and fore finger). Separate the sections properly by raking through them.

3. Take the first section, I always start from the one I have between ring and middle fingers. Fold that section over your ring finger and make a loop by wrapping the rest of the tail around the base of the ponytail (I don't make my loop tight, in fact I loosen it a bit manually before I start wrapping). I wrap in anti-clockwise direction. Tuck the ends carefully under the base of the ponytail/bun.

4. Repeat the same with the other section, only this time fold it over the thumb (again loosely) and wrap in other direction, that is, clockwise. Tuck ends carefully. I want to avoid any pinning, but my ends are blunt and will easily start poking out and unravel. I have found out I can avoid than with very careful tucking.

5. Secure with a stick, inserting through one finger held loop and exiting through the other.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; February 11th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Three-Strand Disc Bun (From http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332)

3-STRAND DISC BUN HOW TO:

1. Gather your hair in a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. If you need to secure the pony do so, but if you can avoid it, I'd skip that step. (I'm right handed and I hold the pony with my left hand.)

2. While you hold the ponytail with one hand, divide it into 3 sections and use your fingers to keep them separated (I keep one section between ring and middle finger, one between middle and fore finger and the last between thumb and fore finger). Separate the sections properly by raking through them.

3. Take the first section, I always start from the one I have between ring and middle fingers but it's not that important where you start (also feel free to play with the wrapping directions). Fold that section over your ring finger and make a loop by wrapping the rest of the tail around the base of the ponytail (I don't make my loop tight, in fact I loosen it a bit manually before I start wrapping). I wrap in anti-clockwise direction. Tuck the ends carefully under the base of the ponytail/bun.

4. Repeat the same with the second section, which for me is the one between middle and fore finger. Fold it over middle finger and again form a loose loop. When I wrap anti-clockwise I guide this section under the first loop. Tuck the ends carefully.

5. Repeat the same with the last section, only this time fold it over the thumb (again loosely) and wrap in other direction, that is, clockwise. Tuck ends carefully. I want to avoid any pinning, but my ends are blunt and will easily start poking out and unravel. I have found out I can avoid than with very careful tucking.

6. Secure with 2 sticks. Both come out from the thumb-loop and go in from their own loops at the other side of the bun.

So everything is the same as in normal disc bun, but with one extra section/loop. I even tested this with 4 loops but haven't yet been able to make a sturdy bun that way. This one holds well, is comfortable, hair friendly, no twisting bun; and while it takes a bit longer than normal disc bun, is still a style I consider quick.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; February 11th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Lazy Wrap Ponytail

Gather hair in a pony where you want the base of the ponytail. Section out one small section that will be used to wrap and secure the ponytail. The amount of this section will depend on your thickness. Continue holding all hair in the ponytail with one hand and extend 1-2 fingers from that hand, wrap section up in front of the fingers and then behind the pinkie of the same hand and then around the base of the ponytail until all length is used and ends are tucked in. The fingers have been holding a loop, insert stick, fork, ficcare, etc through one end of the loop and out the other using the fingers holding the loop as guides. Done.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Link Bun

Origin thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...highlight=link

Gather hair into a ponytail, wrap all hair over and down behind two fingers, then under and around base of ponytail. Make a second loop over and down behind the same two fingers and then wrap the remaining length around the base. Insert stick through one loop and out the other.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Link Link Bun

Constructed like a Link Bun (but keep linking), I found that the first loop needed to be smaller than the second and twisted or it slid off the end of the stick. Twist and wrap on index finger, wrap around base, wrap around index and middle fingers, wrap around base, wrap around middle finger, around base, around middle finger, and around base. Phew! Then insert stick through the second, third, and fourth loops (pull loops toward tip of middle finger and insert stick while removing finger) and out through the first. This probably wont work on thicker hair! You can twist the whole length through the wrapping but it isn't structurally necessary for more than the first loop.