Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Dutch Braid:

A Dutch braid starts with three small sections of hair near the crown of the head, which are then braided together toward the nape of the neck, gradually adding more hair to each section as it crosses in from the side into the center of the braid structure. Cross a section under the next nearest section when bringing it to the center. The final result incorporates all of the hair into a raised braid in the center.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; January 26th, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Edwardian Twist

A two-strand lace braid along the front hair line. It is helpful, but not essential to first section out the front fair that will be incorporated into the Edwardian Twist. This helps prevent stray hairs from being pulled in the wrong direction. Create a part, often a deep side part, but it can be anywhere and then create the section all the way behind the ear in the direction the twist will run. Select a smaller section of hair closest to the part, divide in two. Put one section forward and the other over the first and back, creating an "x". Select the next small section of hair and add it to the forward section, cross forward section over and back to become the back section. Repeat, adding new sections with each cross over and back.

Once the ear is reached, the two strands from the twist can be turned into a rope braid and used as an accent, or left unbraided and incorporated into a bun along with the rest of the hair.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Equilibrium Bun

This bun is the most basic using the "doubled twist." Gather all hair into a ponytail, hold the tail against the scalp with one hand (first hand- usually left for the right handed), two fingers extended over the tail and the other hand pulling the hair up over the two fingers to form a loop over the fingers. Continue holding the tail with the second hand, use the fingers of the first hand to slowly pull the length of the tail while making a twisting motion like drawing circles with the fingers, stop once the end of the tail reaches the beginning of the gathered ponytail. You will have effectively halved the length of the hair, simultaneously twisting it together and hiding the ends inside the twist. This is the doubled twist. Wrap the double twist into a cinnamon bun, keeping at least one finger inside the loop at the end. That loop is used as either the entry or exit point of a hair stick or tine of a fork depending on its position.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Everyday Bun

Gather all hair into a ponytail, hold the tail against the scalp with one hand (first hand- usually left for the right handed), four fingers* extended over the tail (thumb under) and the other hand pulling the hair up over the fingers to form a loop over the fingers. Continue holding the tail with the second hand, use the first hand to slowly pull the length of the tail while making a twisting motion like drawing circles with the fingers. Make only one twist. For longer lengths, you may be able to wrap the loose length around the base. The loop still on the first hand is then placed around the base, forming an outermost ring. Insert fork through the middle, exiting over the outermost coil on the bottom of the bun.

*fewer depending on length/thickness, may take some experimentation to find the right size for each individual.

Hypnotica describes this one:
    Make a ponytail. Then you make a loop, twirl your hand, grab the coiled piece of hair and secure it. When you stab that twisted hair, stab it somewhere in the middle. The fork should exit over the bottom coil.

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

(hmm, I'll give this a go)

Amish braids

Part hair all the way down the middle into two sections. Take the upper third of one section and begin English braiding it, without adding any sections in. Braid for a few "turns", then take the middle third of hair and add it to the braid all at once. Continue English braiding for a few turns (or until the braid reaches the remaining third of hair on that side), and add in the bottom third of hair. Continue English braiding to the ends of your hair. Repeat on the other side. You should now have two braids on either side of your head, beginning near the top of your head and anchored at two separate points, creating two braid "loops" on each side (these "loops" should be laying mostly flat along your head). Now take the end of each braid and lace it back and forth between these four "loops" until the length is used up. Tie the ends together with ribbon or pin them down.

This is the style I remember, but it may not be 100% clear or accurate.

Temporary goal: Classic, Final goal: To infinity and beyond!!
    currently at TBL, pressing on and hoping for Classic before I'm 20

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Bow bun (with braid):

Make a ponytail held with an elastic on the crown (very high!). Take a second elastic and holding a section of the ponytail in a loop secure the loop at the base of the original ponytail with the remaining length falling toward your face. This loop will become the two loops of the bow, so take that into consideration when creating the size of the loop. Braid the remaining length coming out of the ponytail. Divide the loop into equal loops - one toward each ear, pull the braid back and between the two loops. Depending on your length you may need to get creative to accommodate the length of the braid. At the perfect length, you should be able to fold the tassel back under the braid and pin right behind the bow. A solution for longer lengths may be to pin behind the bow and unbraid to that location, rebraid as two braids and use those braids like two cut ends of a ribbon, pin in place or allow to hang loose. Place a couple pins on the underside of the bow loops to secure them in place.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Bweeta's Buns

From Torinpaige: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0QSgCdeKU

Make pigtails secured with elastics evenly placed center back. Divide each pigtail into two sections (one slightly larger, one smaller). Braid the smaller sections in rope braids and the larger sections in English braids. Take each rope braid and wrap it around the pigtail it belongs to and pin, cinnamon bun style. Take the English braid from one side and wrap it under and over to go around the opposite bun and then depending on your length, back around the bun it came from. This should create a figure 8. Tuck tassel away and pin. Take other English braid and wrap it under and over to go around the opposite bun and back around the bun it came from, tuck tassel and pin.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Cameo Bun

The basic idea is that this bun is formed from two sections: The center is a twisted bun such as the cinnamon bun, the second section becomes a braided "frame" for the first.

Section from ear to ear going around the crown of the head. This forms top and bottom sections. Braid the top section. Temporarily clip the braid out of the way. Create a cinnamon bun with the bottom section, pin securely. Take the braid and wrap around the cinnamon bun, pin securely.

This can be done with any bun/braid combination.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Figure-8 Bun

Gather ponytail, place a little higher than usual. Twist. Start a twisted bun with the loops going behind the first (Like a Bee Butt Bun). Take top coil and flip it down. Insert hair stick through top coil and exit through bottom of flipped coil. Add pins or second stick if other upper coils want to come loose.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Infinity Bun

Gather ponytail, place off-center. Twist. Start a twisted bun with the loops going behind the first (Like a Bee Butt Bun). Take top coil and flip it to the opposite side. Insert hair stick through top coil and exit through far side of flipped coil. Add pins or second stick if other coils want to come loose.