Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Text-based Hair Tutorials

Spirit Bun

1. make a regular braid.
    2. insert a stick horizontally through the hair near the base of the braid
    3. insert a stick through the hair near the top of your head
    4. take the braid and wrap it in a figure eight style around the two sticks.
    5. then wrap the remaining hair around the figure 8 and viola there is your bun.

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...php/t-684.html
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; February 20th, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Center Held Braided Bun

Start with any braid (any kind), insert tool of choice (stick, fork, barrette) before the braid starts, wrap the braid behind the tool, wrap the tail tight behind the bun. Stays in place without pins. (Add a pin or another stick for security or appearance.)

Aka pinless braided bun
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; January 21st, 2018 at 08:20 PM.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Thanks. I was just wondering where in the world this thread had gone to...so thanks for digging it up.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You are welcome! I came across it while looking for other lists of hair styles. I'm going to paste any good text tutorials I find here and then link to the individual posts from the directory I'm working on. This project is going to take a while!

If anyone wants to help either finding existing tutorial text or creating their own, check out the list of hair styles I'm working from over here. For now you can assume that if there isn't a text tutorial for a style in this thread, one needs to be added.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I've posted this one before, it's ajr's orchid bun:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post1241677

I quote:

| Note... at the beginning, the stick is NOT through any hair, it is just held above the pony.
    |
    | 1. Hold hair in unsecured pony with left hand.
    | Right hand hold a hairstick horizontally above the pony (pointing at 9 o'clock).
    | 2. Flip the pony up over the stick, then down on the left side of the head.
    | (The tail is now hanging behind the stick on the left side.
    | 3. Rotate the stick CW. I usually rotate until it points at 1-2 o'clock position.
    | Don't hold the tail firmly when you do this, let it loosen if it wants
    | (as long as it's still wrapped around the stick), otherwise it will be too tight.
    | 4. Wrap tail loosely in the CCW direction around the whole thing,
    | behind the stick. Tuck ends under.
    | 5. Pick up the scalp hair and invert the stick like normal
    | (From 1-2 o'clock to 7-8 o'clock position). Come up over the loop(s) you made in step 4.
    | The stick will keep the loop(s) in place. You may have to loosen these loops
    | (that you made in step 4) a bit if it feels too tight.
    |
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Short how-to for a Chinese bun is:
    1. Make a ponytail and put a hair-stick through the base of it, between the elastic and your scalp.
    2. Divide the ponytail into two equal halves (left and right).
    3. Put the right halve over the right end of the hair-stick and the left halve over the left hair-stick.
    4. Wrap the remaining length around the base of the bun (between hair-stick and head) simultaneously. One strand clockwise the other one counterclockwise, crossing over each other on top or beneath the base of the bun.

From: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post1239946

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Short how-to for a Japanese bun is:
    1. Make a ponytail and put a hair-stick through the base of it, between the elastic and your scalp.
    2. Divide the ponytail into two equal halves (left and right).
    3. Cross strands under the bun.
    4. Wrap the remaining length around the base of the bun (between hair-stick and head) simultaneously. One strand clockwise the other one counterclockwise, crossing over each other on top or beneath the base of the bun.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Coronet Bun

This style requires enough hair for 1/4 of the hair to wrap around the head when braided. For most people, this starts at about hip length. It's a great style for heavy thick hair as it distributes weight well. It also gives the crown braid effect without actually Dutch braiding it or having hair long enough for a full coronet braid.

There are two ways to do this. In both, 3/4 of the hair gets braided and then bunned, while the remaining 1/4 is braided then pinned around the head and the ends wrapped around the bun.

Version 1:

Put hair in a medium to low ponytail.

Separate hair into two parts, one 1/4 thickness the other 3/4.

Braid the sections.

Bun the thicker braid.

Wrap the thinner braid around the head and pin it.

Wrap the end of the braid around the bun and pin the end securely.

Version 2:

With this version, you do not need a ponytail first.

Separate about 1 inch (+/- to desired thickness) thick section of hair from under one ear to the other on the back of the head. English braid the hair above that and bun it.

With the hair left loose, dutch braid starting from one ear going towards the other until there is no more loose hair and then braid to the ends. Wrap the braid and pin around the head, wrapping ends around bun.

From: https://web.archive.org/web/20080813...e&articleid=62
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; January 22nd, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Dianyla braid - sectioned English Braid

Create the front section by using finger or tool (hair sticks are great) across your head from left to right: ear to ear, temple to temple, across the top of your head. The second and third sections are the remainder sectioned straight down the middle to nape. Braid as usual.

This braid creates a slightly different appearance from the front (that first deliberate section) and some with thick hair find it to be more comfortable than three random sections.

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

French Braid:

A French braid starts with three small sections of hair near the crown of the head, which are then braided together toward the nape of the neck, gradually adding more hair to each section as it crosses in from the side into the center of the braid structure. Cross a section over the next nearest section when bringing it to the center. The final result incorporates all of the hair into a smoothly woven pattern over the scalp.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; January 26th, 2018 at 07:28 PM.