Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair-related annoyances that other long-hairs will understand

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Angry Hair-related annoyances that other long-hairs will understand

I looked for a thread for these and didn't find anything that wasn't archived.

So I thought I'd start a thread for the little aggravating hair-related things that people with long hair will understand but others might not get.

I'll go first. Today I have my hair in an English braid. I went to the supermarket for some stuff and upon getting out of my car, I got the end of my braid caught under the strap of my cross-body purse, so I set down something and moved the purse strap off my braid. Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.

I figured y'all would understand my annoyance.
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Hair-related annoyances that other long-hairs will understand

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRose View Post
    I looked for a thread for these and didn't find anything that wasn't archived.

Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.
    Losing or snapping the only hair tie you have stretched out to a comfortable length, so you have to start again with a new too-tight hair tie. So annoying.

Pulling the mane into different 4 or 5 times because the b***dy thing keeps pulling, but as soon as you go back to the first bun, the whole just sits there behaving itself. (rather like a toddler, drives you completely bonkers while looking like an angle who could do no wrong)

I like this thread

Length
    15/21/54
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

When I braid and as im braiding, some shed hairs get tangled with the strands along with my fingers its super annoying...I hope i'm not the only one with this problem haha

I'm going to love this thread. The other day I went to my neighbor's apt and just as her hubs opened the door and asked how I was I scowled because yet again my purse was sliding off my arm and taking my hair with it. It was the 5th time that day and I was so annoyed by that point. I also understand the re-doing the bun thing. Every time I do a bun or a braid there's always a strand that pulls and hurts.

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Oh, spirals, I have SO been there. I carry a cross-body purse because carrying a single-shoulder bag hurts my neck (don'tcha just love getting older? Oh well, it beats the alternative). Anyway, when I put my purse on or take it off, the strap goes over my head, and if I'm wearing a hair stick or fork, I seem to invariably catch the strap on the hair toy. Sometimes it just snags, but sometimes it dislodges the hair toy and causes my hairdo to fall apart; it seems like the latter tends to happen when I'm in a hurry (but that's probably confirmation bias talking).
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

MY hair is not really super long yet, but compared with a few months ago when it was shorter I've definitely found a few annoying things.

When I'm lying in bed and my toddler decides to walk around and steps all over my hair. It's so painful!

Using a backpack when my hair is down and having to move it so that the backpack doesn't pull it.

Unlatching my Flexi-clip and finding broken hairs that were caught between the beads.

Length
    SL/APL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRose View Post
    I'll go first. Today I have my hair in an English braid. I went to the supermarket for some stuff and upon getting out of my car, I got the end of my braid caught under the strap of my cross-body purse, so I set down something and moved the purse strap off my braid. Well, in the process, I apparently caused my hair tie to slide off the end of my braid. Now, it's just a hair tie, but it was a hair tie in a type I really liked and haven't been able to find, and it was the last one of that type I had. So not the end of the world or anything but just aggravating. Grr.

I figured y'all would understand my annoyance.
    I totally understand your frustration!

My main annoyance currently is that all the silk scrunchies I use for messy buns at home are stretched out too much and donīt really hold anymore. And doing an extra loop is too tight. Grr. I am seriously thinking of sewing some silk scrunchies myself with a flap/hole in them so that I can easily replace the elastic inside when needed!

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by catasa View Post
    I totally understand your frustration!

My main annoyance currently is that all the silk scrunchies I use for messy buns at home are stretched out too much and donīt really hold anymore. And doing an extra loop is too tight. Grr. I am seriously thinking of sewing some silk scrunchies myself with a flap/hole in them so that I can easily replace the elastic inside when needed!
    YOu can also take a seam ripper, rip out about an inch of the sewing of he ones you have, take the elastic out, put elastic back in, resew the elastic and resew the scrunchie closed. The fabric hasn't stretched, but only the elastic has. Of course if the fabric has got dirty, has holes or something you might just want to make more. Making scrunchies is very easy, but repairing them does save you the steps of cutting out the fabric and sewing it together.
    Instruction are on youtube somewhere I'm sure.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

Shutting your hair in the car door ����

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Long, shed hairs everywhere. Everywhere! Youīll find them in places you didnt even think were possible.