Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Achieving cool red tones with henna

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Achieving cool red tones with henna

i joined here wanting this tone. it's taken me about 4 applications (month) 6/8 hours each to leave in to get this now which won't colour wise take in anymore, which i happy with now. at first i did debate on adding indigo but i actually liked the red so i'm staying with it.
    i believe there are some variations and ideas you should consider -
    .water type (do you need acidity in your mix)
    (i personally only need just warm chamomile tea in my mixture)
    .hair type and colour (darker it is naturally the darker the outcome if you use purely henna otherwise add cassia)
    .virgin/damaged hair- damaged hair like i had soaks up quicker than virgin.
    .henna gloss ? works well to get the henna colours slowly
    .it's very permanent
    .conditioning benefits
    .henna type, some are more orange and some come out darker.

naturally dark brown but starting picture was blonde and black streaks. eek
    middle pic was adding process of the henna
    last two pics are the colour i have now- very close to your colour your after.
    yemeni henna use here.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Rach, I do have a question. Does your hair looks plain brunette indoors or does the red shows in any light?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Heidi_234 hope this helps

ok i've made a pic for this.
    ok it's hard to tell what people see as what colours. because the purple thing with henna i can't quite relate to. henna to me is either orange or red.
    brown has red in it so it's hard to say it's not brown in some lights.
    maybe a super rich brown i'd agree with but it is red just more of a natural red then chem red .

henna in different lights (fully oxidized colour)
    1.dark room
    2.by window
    3.outside cloudy
    4.by window sunny
    5 and 6. both sunny lights up and down.

but the confusion in henna is it is forever changing colour in different lights so i hope i've covered the colours here.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

ooops i've really got to pay attention to the dates of posting on here. lol.
    la la la............. hope it's some use to someone

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the detailed (and illustrated ) reply, it helps alot!
    I assume it's all relative, but your is surely looks redder than mine, even indoors. The reds really vanish from my hair when I'm indoors. Here are the most true-to-life in color pictures I have - this is pretty much how my hair looks:

So if you compare this to your pics you'll see the redness. Mine comes off red only with direct flash on.
    Beautiful color!

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

my darker, course hair is closer to this colour . texture and darkness seems to be a variation in henna. while my under hair is darker, my top hair which is finer is brighter and my baby wispy hairs by my temples are the brightest red which is i bit to bright when freshly hennaed but it mellows.
    it's nice holding the natural variations without the plain blank colour which would never suit me .

i still think the rich colour in yours is pretty. and although this topic is about cold reds it still a warm colour.
    i was thinking i'd make it more to yours or Emichiee colour but i know that won't happen unless i add indigo. but i'm enjoying my red and i'm surprised on how well it suits my skin tones so it's for keeps in my eyes and it's doing so much good the the strength of my hair.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rach View Post
    my darker, course hair is closer to this colour . texture and darkness seems to be a variation in henna. while my under hair is darker, my top hair which is finer is brighter and my baby wispy hairs by my temples are the brightest red which is i bit to bright when freshly hennaed but it mellows.
    it's nice holding the natural variations without the plain blank colour which would never suit me .

i still think the rich colour in yours is pretty. and although this topic is about cold reds it still a warm colour.
    i was thinking i'd make it more to yours or Emichiee colour but i know that won't happen unless i add indigo. but i'm enjoying my red and i'm surprised on how well it suits my skin tones so it's for keeps in my eyes and it's doing so much good the the strength of my hair.
    I do like the color I have, relatively to my natural color it is very rich. But it tends to hide in many light setting and become the same old dark brown, which I find boring and common. That's why I like your color so much, it's beautiful and it still shows indoors, so it's still red and unique in every light setting.
    It's interesting that your color doesn't go darker anymore. Does henna still conditions your hair as much as it used to?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekins View Post
    I did three applications of henna that was mixed with water and a splash of lemon juice, frozen, then thawed for use (left on for four hours + heating pad). I got really great strong stains that was the perfect red-purpleish color - just shy of "dark enough" for me. Last time, though, I only used water (then froze/thawed, etc.) and there's a bunch of orange tones. It's like my hair didn't darken at all, but became brighter and more warm orangey-brown. Guh. So while lemon juice/acid isn't necessary for dye release, it seems to play a role in the tones of red achieved.
    That's interesting that you got a darker stain When Iris was working with lemon juice and henna we found that too much acid inhibited dye release, and adding it to already dye-released henna could actually make brown mud go back to green and not stain.

Did you use distilled water or tap water? I'm thinking if you tap water was alkaline then perhaps the acid brought it closer to neutral, hence the better results?

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I do like the color I have, relatively to my natural color it is very rich. But it tends to hide in many light setting and become the same old dark brown, which I find boring and common. That's why I like your color so much, it's beautiful and it still shows indoors, so it's still red and unique in every light setting.
    It's interesting that your color doesn't go darker anymore. Does henna still conditions your hair as much as it used to?
    still conditions but the oxidizing colour hasn't changed since april (roots downwards) which makes it easy on me on that i don't have to bother with just roots, i can be lazy and just do the whole lot so the whole hair feels the benefits . i still have to leave it on for 4 hours minimum or my roots will be orangey which isn't very consistent. so the difference i get now is roots refreshing.
    the biggest benefit is with the merging of my streaks i had put in . maybe it just happy in only fulling in the hair shafts hence not seeing the separation of the virgin to chemical streaks -
    (less colour in the blond so fills the space with more henna than with virgin colour?)

see both virgin and chemical dyed streaks on here.

did i mention i like henna

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Just to add another 2 cents to my previous post on logwood - I did find that freezing and thawing henna gave me more jewel tones than any of my other experiments with plants.