Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tales from the hairdresser's classroom...

Length
    WL/WL/HIP
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Tales from the hairdresser's classroom...

This is exactly why I abhor salons. I hate salons! They always wanna do what THEY want and not what you asked for!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think it would generally be okay for a stylist to make suggestions about what would look good and what wouldn't, but there's a huge difference between that and disregarding what you want to just do their own thing.

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lilin View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly it. I was ok with him going to town on me, but the fact that he put that forward as how they should treat every client really bothered me. And the fact that he didn't do what he said he'd do during the consult -- just the principle of the thing, if nothing else.

This is definitely true. My last cut, which just cleaned it up and pretty much left the length on top alone (I still hadn't decided if I was growing yet or not!) was a cut that lasted a few months before it started looking shaggy.

But what I got the other day? Honestly, I know I'll be taking scissors to the back of it within the next few weeks, because it will just start looking weird. Like a lot of "high fashion" cuts, it only looks right at the moment it's cut. I can tell already that even half an inch of growth is going to start throwing everything off.

Yet another reason I'd be mad if I'd paid for it, and been told initially that I'd be getting a cut that would be low maintenance and grow out more gracefully. This is definitely a high-maintenance cut that, if it were to be maintained, would need to be re-cut every month or so.
    One of my issues with short hair is that almost every short cut I've ever had needed another cut within a month to 6 weeks to stay looking good. And in practice, I'm the sort of person who tells myself I really need to get a haircut - for at least 2 months before getting around to it. Which means I was always fighting with hair that was too far grown out to look good. With long hair I can be lazy without looking like it.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

I was considering going to a salon. And this just made me reconsider. I will keep my hair, thanks
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    Pixie/18"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

That experience is appalling!

That being said, when I was keeping my hair short, I would usually bring a picture in and say, "I want something like this, I like these elements, please make it work for me and my hair, because you are the artist!"

I think most were relieved that I didn't want something that they do all the time. Asymetrical faux-hawk pixie? Sounds great, let's go for it! I don't have much waveto my hair, it's fine and smooth, ad it's easily styled. I tipped well, but I've never been to the same hairdresser twice - and it's not a personal thing, I just moved around a lot.

Now that I'm growing long again? I'll be my own stylist, thank you.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Wow this is really interesting!!! My mum is a hairdresser so I've never had anyone else touch my hair. It's crazy to think he is teaching his students to completely disregard his clients wishes and do what they think looks best! What happened to the customer is always right? I can't imagine he gets many repeat clients...

Eye opening!! But also sounds like a fabulous deal for you - enjoy the fun, varied pixies!