Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hair doesn't grow past a certain length

Default Re: Hair doesn't grow past a certain length

I want to be more consistent with braiding and see if this makes the difference. I used coconut oil last night, too. Baby steps ! Has anyone used the product 'for hair that doesn't grow past a certain length'? Any good ?

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid.hairr View Post
    Just started using argan oil of morocco but it requires you use heat when you put it in so sometimes I blowdry just for a couple minutes.
    Huh? This "argan-oil" thingy requires heat to work? Since when? Maybe Ive missed something here, but Id say throw that snake oil out and get yourself some real, natural argan oil. No heat needed for that to work. Ever.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Huh? This "argan-oil" thingy requires heat to work? Since when? Maybe Ive missed something here, but Id say throw that snake oil out and get yourself some real, natural argan oil. No heat needed for that to work. Ever.
    Yes, that had me puzzled too, that it needed heat to work. Huh?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    How long is your hair?
    I think when you wear your hair up with a stick it's not damaging. My hair got some damage from being up with bobby pins and metal crocodile clips.
    I'd say a little past BSL. In December I cut about six inches off with a ponytail method that took mainly the sides of the hair off because the sides were so much longer than the back. The sides of the hair is also much thicker than the back. Because my hair is so fine and thin (always has been) it has always been up in some fashion. I used to braid a lot. But if I was lazy I'd stick it up with combs or clasps. I think those caused stress problems on the back of the hair, so I have stopped using that method. My preferred style is a top bun in which I can disguise the fact it is so thin and it doesn't cause a lot of stress, but still the back hair doesn't grow long. Just recently noticed how terribly transparent is sometimes looks and I think I cut a bit too much off the sides. It doesn't seem to have grown much since December.

Six inches sounds a terrible amount of hair to come off, but if you saw it you would be amazed it really was just a puny strand that came off.

From remembering what school was like, I certainly believe that lots of people cannot grow their hair very long. Some girls just seemed to have hair that grew very long and others like me never had very long hair.

I have gone through stages when I cheat with hair pieces and recently discovered a lovely artificial hair scrunchie that takes no time at all to do and when I wear it people in the office really think it is my own hair! It also doesn't cause headaches or hair pulling like some of the other styles that I wear. Bobby pins are okay for me, but I don't usually use them.

I don't really like the shape of my face when my hair is up either so I prefer softer looking styles but this is sometimes difficult to achieve with hair like this.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Put your hair up when you sleep. It's possible that you're breaking it off on the pillowcase. (I wear a topknot. Rolling around on braids in bed is hard on my ends. But, that's just me. )

Keep an eye on your roots, and try to get a handle on how fast it's growing out of your head. (Easy for me. Gray temples make it easy to see when they need some henna slapped on!)

Once you have a decent idea on how fast it's growing, you should be able to estimate how much growth you can expect. Wear your hair bunned up, protect your ends, and it'll come around.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Estas mi Esperantist' languagenut's Avatar
    Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I have the same trouble, only mine has been alternating between waist and scraggly hip for years, with no overall increase in length. Right now it's the latter, by the end of the day it'll be the former, as my mom is doing trims today, and between waist and hip is so scraggly that I don't see much help for it but to trim back to waist. There might be something I can do to help it after the trim, but I'm not sure I can keep it bunned up, as my mom isn't crazy about that, and given the amount of friction in the relationship already, I certainly don't want to make more. I don't have a sleep cap; do you think just braiding at night would help any? As we come into warmer weather, I usually braid it more anyway, maybe that's how it got to waist instead of BSL.

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post

Yeah, I don't know. The back of the bottle says to use heat. Maybe it isn't necessary, but the product make it seem like that

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I don't think 'school' counts.
    In school, those with very long hair were the ones who had that strong hair that will grow long even if you wear it loose. It was like, nobody had it up and so only the genetically gifted got past BSL (at most. some people rub off at shoulder. Or even shorter than that).
    On LHC there are many who had hair that 'never grew' and now its tailbone or classic, and those who are genetically gifted are at knee, or floor.
    I'm not long for LHC but i'm very pleased to at least two inches longer than I ever thought I could grow (I was a 'stuck at brastrap') and it appears to be still growing. Mine takes literally FOREVER (because I'm a tightly curly, so even when it grows, it doesn't look like it grew), but just hang in there, give it a couple of years, vent here a lot and ask for advice and you will most probably be surprised that your hair has grown longer than it ever did-although of course your definition of 'long' will have gotten different by that time...constantly seeing pics of floor length hair does that to one...
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    20 in/34 in/52 in
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

my hair stopped growing abruptly at knee-length, been this long for half a year and my hairs normally quite fast growing (3/4 inch a month). it could be terminal, but its still fairly blunt and thickish so i'm hoping its not terminal. i've been quite ill lately which could be a factor. i'll be trying to up my nutrient intake and moisturise my ends more.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by languagenut View Post
    I have the same trouble, only mine has been alternating between waist and scraggly hip for years, with no overall increase in length. Right now it's the latter, by the end of the day it'll be the former, as my mom is doing trims today, and between waist and hip is so scraggly that I don't see much help for it but to trim back to waist. There might be something I can do to help it after the trim, but I'm not sure I can keep it bunned up, as my mom isn't crazy about that, and given the amount of friction in the relationship already, I certainly don't want to make more. I don't have a sleep cap; do you think just braiding at night would help any? As we come into warmer weather, I usually braid it more anyway, maybe that's how it got to waist instead of BSL.
    Just wondering why you wear your hair the way your mom likes it and not the way you like it? A sleeping cap or braiding at night - or both - should help protect your hair a lot.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR