Thread: Hair that gets drier instead of oily when stretching washes

Length
    20/26/33
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair that gets drier instead of oily when stretching washes

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    This isn't too uncommon with dry hair.
    When my length gets dry between washes, I just do a mini-LOC : run wet hands over length and then spread a few drops of oil with a dollop of conditioner to lock in moisture right before bunning. When I take the length down, it's always soft and moisturized again.
    I have the same, and I do the same! It works great, I usually wash once a week - but you do need to know when it cannot be saved and you have to wash it

Also, I never brush my hair, EVER - only in the shower, finger comb with conditioner in it. So when I do the water + oil stuff, I just use my fingers to gently detangle it. And I never put it up or braid it after this, because then it gets funny.
    Last edited by maegalcarwen; February 28th, 2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Neck length 44cm -> APL 55 cm -> BSL 68cm -> Waist 85cm-> Hip 90cm -> BCL 96cm

Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chocowalnut View Post
    Thanks, I will try again and comb it next time. Normally my hair doesn't look good when I comb it though. If that doesn't work for me I have been thinking maybe I can cowash sometimes instead of stretching washes. That would be OK for my hair right? Because the only time I like my hair is after a wash.
    CO washing works perfectly for my hair, shampoo makes it drier and harder to manage and also greasy. My hair hates shampoo.
    Have you tried argan oil? it is lighter than coconut and fully absorbs, it is my favourite oil for my hair

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I have dry hair and a scalp that produces dryer sebum. My hair does not get oily, even after a month. What does happen is the dry tangling and scalp aches. I wash once a week. Oiling before wash can help break up any scalp crud. If your scalp tolerates it, a very light oil massage helps A LOT. CO washing didn't work for me, but I periodically leave my conditioner after the shampooing step, for up to 30 min as a deep condition. That works nicely. Also using a regular or a deep conditioner as a leave in, helps keep the ends nice longer.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chocowalnut View Post
    I wash with a shampoo (recently herbal essences Hello hydration) and then put a lot of conditioner (also HH) on from root to tip and wide comb through until completely detangled. Let it soak in for rest of shower. I gently pat and squeeze out excess water then let air dry. Sometimes I will put a little herbal essences curl cream in and scrunch a little before air dry. Sometimes I will put a little oil in (either biosilk drops or hair chemist coconut oil drops), and sometimes I won't put anything in it.
    I have dry hair/scalp issues as well. But one thing that definitely made it worse was the Hello Hydration conditioner. Has your hair always been like this or did it start recently? Maybe changing your shampoo/conditioner will help your hair stay moisturized longer.
    ~Closet Hiddlestoner~

Length
    None/HL/FL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I have curly hair but an oily scalp. The longer I go without washing, my roots will get oily and the length and ends of my hair will get dry. Water is the only way of truly adding moisture to your hair, so it’s not surprising that going too long without a wash can lead to dried out hair.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair gets dry when I stretch out washes. I normally just mist or use a misturiser and put an oil on top to refresh. But when that stops working, I know its time for a wash and deep condition
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RottenMango View Post
    I have curly hair but an oily scalp. The longer I go without washing, my roots will get oily and the length and ends of my hair will get dry. Water is the only way of truly adding moisture to your hair, so it’s not surprising that going too long without a wash can lead to dried out hair.
    My hair does the same. Sometimes I can comb it out and lightly oil the length to get it feeling and looking better (if also straighter), but I can't do that indefinitely. At a certain point it just still feels miserable under the oil and I must wash it.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Has anyone suggested ROO yet? That has really helped my ends and sometimes I dont even feel the need for leave ins and oiling after a wash(although I'm oil crazed to I usually at least lightly oil to seal as well ) Roo is the rinse out oil method, you oil your hair in the shower, ears down or ends only, after you shampoo. I let the oil sit for a minute then add conditioner 9n top and also let that sit for a minute. I usually condition twice but I know a lot if people have success with one conditioner. I also notice if I use an apple cider vinegar(acv) rinse my hair and ends in particular behave longer and I can usually get and extra day out of my wash when I do.

Length
    Pixie/ftl/knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I have the same problem too. I try to spray my hair with water and put some light conditioner or oil but the next day the ends look limp, greasy and dry at the same time. I've also tried lavender oil spray (cg method) but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.
    Let it grow, let it grow, don't cut or fry it anymore,
    Let it grow, let it grow, turn away from silicones
    ...clogged drains never bothered me anyway.

Even the best of products can leave a buildup. Start with the basics.

When was the last time you clarified?