Thread: How to Improve Indigo Uptake?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default How to Improve Indigo Uptake?

Are there any tips to improve indigo's take on hair? Does adding a little bit of salt work?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Default Re: How to Improve Indigo Uptake?

I have had success with a tsp of salt added to the indigo helping it stick. My first couple of indigos didn't stick very well, but after a few more I didn't find it faded much. I think over time it builds up a little.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Your going to do indigo mellie? I was reading on henna for hair that its 1 tablespoon salt for every 100g and also alittle sugar will thicken it up. I have not done this but im going to soon,I was going to today but its to cold in my house and I dont want catch a cold.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Hi Aisha25! I've been using Rainbow Dark Brown henna which has indigo in it, but lately I've been washing with soapnuts (reetha) and they seem to pull out the indigo faster. So I want something to help the indigo stick to my hair better! :-)

I've read that adding amla to indigo just before application makes it quite dark and with staying power... I've not tried it though. I think it also depends on the quality of indigo, I can vouch for the staying power of the stuff from H4H

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've tried amla and indigo from H4H but I can't use them, unfortunately. The powders are too fine and my poor DH has sneezing attacks (even me to a lesser extent). So I had to give them away, very sad.

The Rainbow henna has been working great with very good staying power, just until I started to use soapnuts for washing. It's very weird!
    Last edited by mellie; October 13th, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: ETA: staying power

aha, then I would echo the suggestion to try adding salt to the Rainbow product... good luck