Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my hair - drying ingredients

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Question Worried about my hair - drying ingredients

Without going into the details of my medical condition or history, I recently started to use a medicated topical liquid on my scalp (doctor's orders).

My hair has been behaving strangely ever since, which led me taking a closer look at the ingredients, and I got a bit worried for my hair's health.

In addition to the active ingeredient - which I think is irrelevant to this post - and purified water there are:

Isopropyl alcohol
    Carbomer 974P
    Propylene glycol
    Natrium (sodium) hydroxide = lye

Now I only apply this liquid to my scalp, hanging my head upside down while doing it (for easier application and minimum hair contact). I use only very little, as per instructions, so certainly not dousing my scalp/hair in this stuff.

Somehow the ingredients seems to work their way down my hair shafts, all the way to the tips (approaching APL). It makes my hair tangly and sticking together, in a word acting very strangely for my hair.

I am now worried if this stuff will trash my hair?
    How could I protect my hair from it?

Note I cannot use oils because they cause acne and skin infection on me, so please do not suggest oiling. (No doubt someone will, anyway, ha ha )

I will need to use this liquid for 6 weeks, spread over 3 months time period, so 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and so on.

Thusfar I can't see any other negative signs on my hair than the tangling/sticking together, but seeing it has so much alcohol and even lye, I became worried. I might be over-worrying though, I have read user experiences of this medication, and haven't seen anyone mentioning this stuff trashing their hair - but their hair might not be LHC quality hair.
    Last edited by Arctic; November 17th, 2015 at 10:48 AM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Worried about my hair - drying ingredients

Perhaps instead of hanging upside down for application, lift your hair in sections and use a thin applicator tip to get it to the roots. That way gravity isn't helping the topical move down your hair.

How long does the stuff take to dry? If it takes a while, you might want to clip the sections up somehow while it is drying.

Once it is dry, are you braiding as usual? If so, that may be part of why it gets worked down the hair shafts.

Good luck!
    Last edited by missrandie; November 17th, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missrandie View Post
    Perhaps instead of hanging upside down for application, lift your hair in sections and use a thin applicator tip to get it to the roots. That way gravity isn't helping the topical move down your hair.

How long does the stuff take to dry? If it takes a while, you might want to clip the sections up somehow while it is drying.

Once it is dry, arebyou braiding as usual? If so, that may be part of why it gets worked down the hair shafts.

Good luck!
    MissRandie, I have tested the standing upright and applying part by part method too, but found the upside down method easier, and I can get away with little bit less liquid that way (which is good, the less one uses, says the instructions, the better).
    Both upright and upside down methods lead to the tangling in my experience, but I might do some more testing with upright position.

The liquid seems to dry very quickly, but I haven't timed it. I's say if I apply to dry scalp, my scalp is dry in 5 minutes, but I would need to time it tonight to make sure.

I usually leave my hair down at least for a while after applying it, but might braid or bun after a while. I think I wear my hair up/down quite evenly 50% of the time in general.

I could try the clipping my hair up, thanks for all the ideas!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Oh, and I should add, that when I apply it, only my scalp and the very roots seem to get damp, so it looks like the stuff really only gets to scalp, but yet it still causes tangling and sticky hair as low down as the tips.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe only apply it right before a wash, and detangle your hair before applying it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/SL/BSL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Is it getting down the shaft when you're washing your hair? Maybe try coating the length in conditioner before you get your hair wet?

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Do you have to wash it out after a certain amount of time, or do you apply and leave it on? If it's the first,could you coat your hair in a conditioner or something that works for your hair (aloe,honey...)
    What about bagging the length in plastic?

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Maybe only apply it right before a wash, and detangle your hair before applying it.
    Unfortunately it needs to be applied after washing (if it's wash day) per instructions. I need to use it daily.

It's not an issue of so much knotty-tangling that is taken care by detangling, but sticking together tightly tangling, that no detangling corrects - the hairs just stick together again. It's like bad case of build-up without build-up. That being said, maybe I will need to use my clarifying shampoo during this period more often than I already do, it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetaj View Post
    Is it getting down the shaft when you're washing your hair? Maybe try coating the length in conditioner before you get your hair wet?
    It might be, although I would imagine since I use it so little it would be absorbed by my skin by the time of next wash. I could try CWC washing though, my hair likes that (for short periods. It causes me build-up fast and a need to clarify often, so usually I avoid it. But temporarily like duing the medication, it could be very helpful!)

Today I'm planning to do a pre-poo deep treatment, I hope by moisturizing extra often during this time I could avoid any possibly drying/damage. Maybe I'll use my clarifying shampoo too. (deep treatment - clarifying - normal conditioner - leave in)

Length
    CBL/BSL+/Hip?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sweetaj View Post
    I would definitely second this suggestion, in fact could you wet and condition your lengths before you apply the topical lotion to your scalp? Any barrier to protect your lengths whilst you apply sounds sensible to me. You could then bun/braid the lengths out the way until you wash to prevent the conditioner encouraging acne. I suppose this does depend on how soon you could wash your hair after application though. I doubt you want to walk around for days with conditioner in your hair!

Another thought - lye is extremely alkaline I believe, this could be causing the tangles possibly. Could you follow your washes with an acidic rinse? Something like diluted ACV or lemon juice. I'd definitely rinse it out though - don't want to cause a neutralisation reaction when you next apply your topical lotion!

Finally, this is all temporary by the sound of it, so I'm sure your hair will recover with plenty of love even if it's not too happy now!

Edit: Just saw your answers above, looks like some of my suggestions are not helpful, sorry. I'm sure you'll get there though!
    Last edited by Pol; November 17th, 2015 at 08:54 AM.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Swan Maiden View Post
    Do you have to wash it out after a certain amount of time, or do you apply and leave it on? If it's the first,could you coat your hair in a conditioner or something that works for your hair (aloe,honey...)
    What about bagging the length in plastic?
    I apply and leave it on, it should be re-applied once a day, regardless whether hair is washed or not. I am almost daily washer myself, so it does get washed every 24-48 hours or so.

It is possible the ingredients are not all absorbed by my skin during the time it's on my scalp, and possibly some of the ingredient will glide down my hair when I wash, so CWC might be very helpful. I will give it a try!