Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my avatar photo always so small?

Type
    2a/C/ii

Default Why is my avatar photo always so small?

Hello, the title says it all: Whatever picture I upload it always end up really small, why is that?

I see people on here with twice the size of my image.

/Margo
    Last edited by Estrid; October 24th, 2015 at 04:03 AM. Reason: all them spelling errors...

Length
    pixie/chin/waist

Default Re: Why is my avatar photo always so small?

I don't know, I have the same problem, I feel that my picture is tiny compared to others.

Type
    2a/C/ii

Feels like I can't have too "zoomed out" images since the details won't show when it is that tiny, it might not even be clear what it is supposed to be at all. A bit sad, if you ask me.

I have thought about it maybe being a post-related thing? but that seems weird, why should avatar size be linked to your post count?

/Margo
    Last edited by Estrid; October 24th, 2015 at 04:42 AM.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

What are the dimensions on the image you're uploading?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/C/ii

The one I currently have is 641 x 415 pixels and 104 kb. I have tried multiple different sizes and they end up tiny, all of them.

Do I need something that is just under 1 mb? feels like it should be the pixels that needs to be bigger but the picture I have now is huge. It just doesn't show here.

/Margo

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

While the avatar uploader states "whichever is smaller," the vBulletin software technically sets the all around cap using both dimensions and file size, so the cap is 100x100px and 1mb. If an image exceeds that cap in either dimensions or file size it will either be rejected or the software will autoresize it and reduce the quality of the image.

I've dealt with that in the past with sig pics and album pics, too. The forum's autoresizer isn't kind.

Type
    2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    While the avatar uploader states "whichever is smaller," the vBulletin software technically sets the all around cap using both dimensions and file size, so the cap is 100x100px and 1mb. If an image exceeds that cap in either dimensions or file size it will either be rejected or the software will autoresize it and reduce the quality of the image.

I've dealt with that in the past with sig pics and album pics, too. The forum's autoresizer isn't kind.
    But when I make pictures 100 x 100 in paint they go extremely small (or well, the size of every single avatar have become after I've uploaded them here). Do you mean they go bigger when I upload them here with less than 100 x 100 pixel? If not, how do some get bigger avatars?

/Margo

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Estrid View Post
    But when I make pictures 100 x 100 in paint they go extremely small (or well, the size of every single avatar have become after I've uploaded them here). Do you mean they go bigger when I upload them here with less than 100 x 100 pixel? If not, how do some get bigger avatars?

/Margo
    Hmm. Good question! Would you be able to point me toward an example? The requirement has been around since I joined, so anything atypical would be very interesting. This is confirming it's the avatar that displays to the left of a post under the username, correct?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Some of the pics I see (perhaps cached) are 150 pixels in the larger dimension. Did the dimensions get reduced in one of the upgrades?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Some of the pics I see (perhaps cached) are 150 pixels in the larger dimension. Did the dimensions get reduced in one of the upgrades?
    It's always possible! I've seen it before with how the software handled jpgs for a while, and how it determined what qualifies for autoresizing, etc. Much fun, those settings.