Thread: Hello darlings!

Length
    SL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Hello darlings!

Hey there! I'm Caoimhe (or Keeva, if that's easier for you ;P) and I've been lurking here on and off since 2008 or something, which was when I first dyed with henna... so it's about time I signed up, eh? I've recently decided to commit to growing my hair as long as possible, so here I am!

This is what I'm working with as of this afternoon:

Apologies for the rubbish quality!

Length: 38.5 inches / 98cm / very very nearly waist, with layers.
    Goal length: Hip length for now, which is probably possible based on genetics, but ultimately classic, which has no precedent in my family so I have no idea!
    Colour: Ginger, maybe equivalent to a level 7 to 7.5 in lightness, 8 at the roots
    Type: 1b/1c (I think? this surprised me!)
    Texture: Fine (definitely not a surprise)
    Thickness: Average (borderline thick, also surprising!)
    Last trim: 6 months, which cut the last of bad bleach damage out, so this is 3 years and 3 months of growth
    Current routine: Mostly I shampoo 4 times a week, with the help of dry shampoo, and up to every day without. If I can get away with less (aka, if I can get away with not leaving the house without wearing a hat!) I'll do it less. I condition whenever I have time, so usually twice a week, but I've been known to go without for over a month. I never deep-condition. I usually towel-dry very lightly to break up the wet strands (or it would dry 100% straight, which I dislike intensely on me). I brush about 3 times a week, sometimes 5 or 6, rarely every day. I've heatstyled it twice in the past year (maybe longer, but I can't actually remember), once to experiment with volumising mousse for a wedding and once to do it for real, and haven't dyed it in nearly 3 and a half years. I use clip in extensions maybe once every two months for about 8 hours each time, and on a day to day basis I usually throw it up in a messy bun or a french braid.
    Condition: Pretty great. Extremely soft, very smooth (at least, it is when I bother to brush it), reasonably shiny, very few split ends. Lots of shedding, but that's to be expected, and not so much that I think it's reached terminal length. I'm pretty lucky, it's extremely low maintenance!

I should note that I took this photo after I finished signing up, and seeing as I'm a newbie, I can't correct the 1a/1b label - because of those few errant-but-obvious waves at the back I guess I'm more 1b/1c, but because they're at the back I've honestly never noticed before! It was certainly a pleasant surprise. My hair used to be super thin (~2 inches circumference or less) and ruler straight (and still dries that way if I dare brush it while it's damp), but in the last two years it's literally doubled in thickness to almost exactly 4" in circumference and has magically acquired a bit of a wave, a trend I'm desperately hoping will continue! I've been told that it's quite common for hair to change texture and/or thickness in early adulthood, and I'm 22 and a half - has anybody else had this sort of experience? I'm definitely not complaining

That was a rather long introduction so props to you if you read all of it!

xxx

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Hello darlings!

Greeting
    Yes I have had that happen. My hair changes textures and degrees of thickness. When I'm eating well and taking care of myself in general my circumference can change dramatically .... Up to an inch difference in circumference. Different seasons, illness, stress, mechanic damage, hormone fluctuations , thyroid etc. There's other contributing factors but yes it happens to most of us.

Welcome to the board .
    Last edited by hennalonghair; October 6th, 2015 at 09:15 AM.

Length
    14/14/...?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hello!
    Isn't it funny what you discover when you really look at your hair? My waves surprised me too, when I did my first hair-typing. My waves are the type that, when I brush my hair, they straighten out and go all frizzy. Oh well. And, yes, my volume of hair has changed as well, though not as drastically as your has. It's fairly common. Mine changes with my health. I've fluctuated from ~3.5 inches when I joined the board to up into 4 in. territory, back down to 3.25 and back up again. I'm sitting right at about 4 right now.

Welcome to the LHC!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Welcome! If this is not a proper hairtyping photo, then I assume you hair might be even wavier and you might find yourself in the 1c-2a or 2a category in the future

Yes hair type changes are common, although I haven't heared it being possible for the number of hair follicles on the scalp increasing. So this being said, if you individual hairs have not started to grow in thicker (is possible) it is to my understanding likely that the waves are making your hair appear thicker, as waves are more voluminous/less compact than straight hair (this kind of hair change is also possible).

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    SL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

@hennalonghair - Hi, and thank you! ^^ I think my eating habits have made an enormous difference, as you mentioned. Whenever I go through a less-than-stellar phase of dietary choices everything goes all limp and uninspiring.

@Pearly~91 - Hello! Yeah it's pretty incredible how different the picture I had in my head is to the... well, the actual picture! I think because I grew up with such fine, thin, straight hair (and people telling me as much) that I was stuck in that mentality, so to say I'm pleased with these new findings is a drastic understatement

@Arctic - Heya Yaich, 2a... one can dream! Hahaha. Maybe if I wish hard enough it'll come true. That one random section at the back is definitely showing promise, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! And I think the thickness is, as I mentioned above, a lot to do with my current reasonably healthy diet, and hormonal changes (or lack thereof, seeing as the bulk of the changes started as I left my teens), but aye, I've never heard of an increasing number of follicles either. Again, one can dream, haha.

Welcome
    Sounds like you have a good routine ~ your hair looks great!
    Happy growing

Length
    SL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

@Groovy Granny - Thank you! It's not much of a routine but I'm lucky with my super-low-maintenance and extremely forgiving hair. It almost makes up for my skin being a disaster for years, haha.

Length
    CBL/24/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Hello! very pretty hair! You must be doing something right to gain that much thickness!

Lady Amethyst Rosevyn, Kynd Sempstress of the Land of Frosted Woodlands
    Wishing the burgundy henna would have stayed! Now growing out bleached henna...
    Just Brushing BSL Hoping for Waist wavy by end of 2017

Length
    SL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

@RavenRose - Thank you! ^^