Thread: I need to roughen up my cuticles...

Type
    1a/F/i

Default I need to roughen up my cuticles...

I'm just in love with purple in my hair. I can't give up the dye - luckily I've settled on some good brands like special effects dye and arctic fox (new to the market, similar to manic panic and special effects in ingredients but different color options.) the thing is I'm realizing if I want the color to stay I need my cuticles to be a bit rough. I don't want to go back to bleach if I don't have to so any advice?

I was thinking of using sun in a few times in my virgin roots, not so much to lighten it but to just make the hair slightly porous so the dye sticks. Everything on my ends sticks of one seeing as that was previously bleached, but my virgin hair is a different story.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I need to roughen up my cuticles...

How long do you want the color to stay? Mine lasts for months but gradually fades a bit every time I wash it.

I wonder if it would help to do a baking soda rinse before applying dye. I added baking soda to my shampoo once, and it roughened up my cuticles so badly that my hair practically felted together. It took about 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks - that's the only way I could comb my hair - before my hair returned to normal.

Type
    1a/F/i

@spidermom Funny you say that, I saw a few sites recommend a baking soda rinse before applying dye. I've done them before to clarify my hair and my hair wasn't super against it, so that might not be a bad idea.

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Honestly, I just use either a clarifying shampoo or a dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders with hot water, and then no conditioner or oils of any kind. When my hair dries, I apply my dye and let it sit under a shower cap for as long as I can stand before rinsing out with cool-cold water and conditioning, again with cool to cold water.

Don't use sun-in. It's not as safe as you think. You'd honestly be better with a low volume bleach bath for extra lift, it's far more controlled.