Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a dye that wouldn't ruin my hair?

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Is there a dye that wouldn't ruin my hair?

Since I have 15% gray in my hair, and it makes my hair look rather dull. I'd like to do something about it.

I had tried some experiments with henna/indigo. But the indigo washed out very quickly, leaving very red hair. Unfortunately, I do not make an attractive redhead at all!!!!!

When I tried catnip, it fried my hair, at the recommended measurements.

Am I left to the the hair damaging choices of permanent color dye?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Is there a dye that wouldn't ruin my hair?

We have some members here who use semi permanent dye, and Manic Panic is a name that pops up a lot. I hardly ever dye my hair, just sometimes for fancy dress using a darker shade of an 8 wash dye and that hasn't caused me any damage, but I haven't used it long term.

There are some ideas for darkening herbal rinses in the articles section, but these are mostly going to just temporarily stain your greys darker. It may be worth a look?

Dying your hair to it's natural shade or darker will never be as damaging a lightening it, and most dyes now are gentler without ammonia or peroxide.

Hopefully a dyer will be along who can help you, or one of our cosmetology know-alls!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Elumen is said to be good, and there is a huge thread about it in this section somewhere.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by K_Angel View Post
    Since I have 15% gray in my hair, and it makes my hair look rather dull. I'd like to do something about it.

I had tried some experiments with henna/indigo. But the indigo washed out very quickly, leaving very red hair. Unfortunately, I do not make an attractive redhead at all!!!!!

When I tried catnip, it fried my hair, at the recommended measurements.

Am I left to the the hair damaging choices of permanent color dye?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
    I have never had catnip fry my hair at any strength and I have tried most of them. It may be that you had residue on your hair that can make catnip's conditioning effects less effective. No matter.

You can use a number of dyes that are gentle, semi-permanent dyes with peroxide and demi colours. If you pre-treat your hair with coconut oil or argan oil or both you can considerably reduce the chances of any damage, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...nnovative.html

Length
    28"/36.5"/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Another vote for Elumen. I had all over color done 2 weeks ago (red) with no fade thus far. My hair shows no damage or dryness. I have tried Sruples (salon professional) and Aveda. Aveda was very drying even the permanent Auburn shade.

My stylist said that she had had success covering grays using elumen alone, however many mention using Topchic and then covering with elumen.
    HTH

Length
    27/28.5/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Herbatint is another (presumably) low harm box dye that I've seen mentioned around the forums here. I read that it's vegetable based, but I don't know a lot about it. One of the things I tucked into the back of my mind for later.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeSophia8 View Post
    Herbatint is another (presumably) low harm box dye that I've seen mentioned around the forums here. I read that it's vegetable based, but I don't know a lot about it. One of the things I tucked into the back of my mind for later.
    I have a friend who uses it. It can be quite drying.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Plant or veggie-based dyes, Aveda like someone had mentioned, and Indigo/Henna. Oh, and Manic Panis is a much better alternative to bx dyes.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

It has taken me several years to get my henna mix where I like it so with some more experimentation you may still find that is a viable solution.

I have dark brown hair and this mix makes my silvers a nice dark blonde. It blends in well without really affecting my natural color but gives me alot of shine and highlights.

2 TBSP Cassia
    1/2-1 TBSP Henna
    1/2-1 TBSP Buxus (Katam)
    1 tsp amla (optional)

The henna and buxus need to be equal parts. If I want a darker color on my gray I use 1TBSP of each. You can also increase the Cassia to make it lighter. I adjust it accordingly. I use catnip as my liquid. I dye release at least 3 hours or more. I mix the amla with warm water and then add to the mix if I want to tone down the red. I then apply and leave on at least 3 hours or more. It works pretty well for me.
    Last edited by LaurelSpring; September 14th, 2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added info
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

ktani: I know my hair must be weird or had residue on it or something, because most people have great success with catnip!

I'll have to read about Elumen. And laurelspring your recipe is great! Maybe it's just the indigo that doesn't like my hair.... I actually have all of the ingredients except the buxus. Where's the best place to purchase that?

Thanks all, for your help!