Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: shapley's mtg oil?

  1. #1

    Default shapley's mtg oil?

    Does this oil really work? I've read about it in the ethnic hair forum and there were a lot of raves.
    I noticed the main ingredient is sulphur. I did some research and they said sulphur helps with hair growth. Also MSM is sulphur. So Im thinking of making my own sulphur oil. What do you think?

  2. #2
    Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,473
    Length
    ?/33/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    I can't find an ingredients list for this oil so it's hard to say how good it does or doesn't sound.....though it seems like it's worked well for horses!

    I did find this on yahoo questions though
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0213318AA8GFRx

    I found this post particularly interesting:

    "Wel I just visited the website www.grow-long-hair-fast.com and I must say that I would be sceptical! I looked on the ingredients tab, and what was listed was 3 out of the 17 "secret" so called all natural ingredients. I don't know but for $50 every two months, I wouldn't waste my money on something that even the distributor won't honestly just tell you what it is.

    I have also been experimenting with hair growth enhancers. I am currently using a hair oil that is infused with sulfur. I know it sounds scary, but the sulphur doesn't smell! Sulfur has also been PROVEN to increase hair growth not as much as the Nara claims, but still at least an inch a month. The thing that I like the most about it is that it lists the ingredients on the front of the bottle. THREE ingredients. Two carrier oils and powdered sulfur(Cocos nucifera, olea europaea, sulphur). The website that I got it from is www.growthspecifics.com. You can also just make your own using jojoba oil and sulphur powder. You can add any oils you like, but jojoba oil is closest to the sebum that our scalp produces so it is absorbed very well. Also if the scent is still a bit off putting, you can add different essential oils or scented oils.

    Now I am a black woman and I have a short afro so all the oil in my hair doesn't really reveal itself. If you are concerned about putting oil in your hair, then I would try MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). This is water soluble sulfur that you can purchase in tablet, capsule or powder form and can be taken orally. I have seen rave reviews as to how peoples hair and nail growth takes off! You can find more information about MSM at http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com...

    Hope that helps."

    I like the idea of adding sulphur to a home made hair oil, but i'm wondering what would be a safe concentration. I remember at beauty college many moons ago it used to be mixed into masks for acneic skin, and sometimes would be used neat on inflamed areas, so i guess i can assume it's fairly safe. Unfortunately all my old textbooks are still in storage so i can't look it up at the moment.
    Do you have a recipe in mind?
    http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7074/chloenewbig8rh.jpg
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

  3. #3
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I can't find an ingredients list for this oil so it's hard to say how good it does or doesn't sound.....though it seems like it's worked well for horses!

    I did find this on yahoo questions though
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0213318AA8GFRx

    I found this post particularly interesting:

    "Wel I just visited the website www.grow-long-hair-fast.com and I must say that I would be sceptical! I looked on the ingredients tab, and what was listed was 3 out of the 17 "secret" so called all natural ingredients. I don't know but for $50 every two months, I wouldn't waste my money on something that even the distributor won't honestly just tell you what it is.

    I have also been experimenting with hair growth enhancers. I am currently using a hair oil that is infused with sulfur. I know it sounds scary, but the sulphur doesn't smell! Sulfur has also been PROVEN to increase hair growth not as much as the Nara claims, but still at least an inch a month. The thing that I like the most about it is that it lists the ingredients on the front of the bottle. THREE ingredients. Two carrier oils and powdered sulfur(Cocos nucifera, olea europaea, sulphur). The website that I got it from is www.growthspecifics.com. You can also just make your own using jojoba oil and sulphur powder. You can add any oils you like, but jojoba oil is closest to the sebum that our scalp produces so it is absorbed very well. Also if the scent is still a bit off putting, you can add different essential oils or scented oils.

    Now I am a black woman and I have a short afro so all the oil in my hair doesn't really reveal itself. If you are concerned about putting oil in your hair, then I would try MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). This is water soluble sulfur that you can purchase in tablet, capsule or powder form and can be taken orally. I have seen rave reviews as to how peoples hair and nail growth takes off! You can find more information about MSM at http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com...

    Hope that helps."

    I like the idea of adding sulphur to a home made hair oil, but i'm wondering what would be a safe concentration. I remember at beauty college many moons ago it used to be mixed into masks for acneic skin, and sometimes would be used neat on inflamed areas, so i guess i can assume it's fairly safe. Unfortunately all my old textbooks are still in storage so i can't look it up at the moment.
    Do you have a recipe in mind?
    Your black with an afro?

  4. #4
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,252
    Length
    28/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    I can't find an ingredients list for this oil so it's hard to say how good it does or doesn't sound.....though it seems like it's worked well for horses!

    snip

    I like the idea of adding sulphur to a home made hair oil, but i'm wondering what would be a safe concentration. I remember at beauty college many moons ago it used to be mixed into masks for acneic skin, and sometimes would be used neat on inflamed areas, so i guess i can assume it's fairly safe. Unfortunately all my old textbooks are still in storage so i can't look it up at the moment.
    Do you have a recipe in mind?
    I researched this and will be making the sulfur oil as soon as I stop being lazy about it and calculate the amounts needed. From my research I found that the sulfur has to be 7% or less concentration to be safe for this use, and I'm talking about pure sulfur, not MSM. I probably have the reference to where I found this info on my other computer and will look for it once I get home.

    ETA: Note to self any anyone that wants to try making this.

    Sulfur oil 5% concentration (lower then 7% to be safe)
    50ml total end product.
    Weigh out 2.5 g sulfur, put a bit of oil in the measuring container. Add the sulfur powder, then add the carrier oil to 50 ml a bit at a time mixing a bit in between adding more. Make sure all the sulfur is diluted.

    Test for reaction before use!!!
    Last edited by mira-chan; October 6th, 2008 at 10:01 AM.
    Blog private,100 posts/2 months.
    Indian herb hair care article Western Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .

  5. #5
    Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,473
    Length
    ?/33/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    Your black with an afro?
    Haha hunni! Actually there was a time years ago in my uber-retro phase where i wished i could pull off some mad coloured afro and do that glitter overdose, platforms to break your neck in, disco look but the closest my hair got was when i took out microbraids and looked like i'd been plugged into an electric socket!

    Mira, thankyou so much for posting that, i remembered there was a thread either here or on the old boards about sulphur with a maximum concentration given but i had no idea where to look. I actually nearly picked up a bottle of powdered MSM today buying the tablet forms, but i had already spent more than i intended to so decided against it until i get to the beauty supply store (sally's) and see how much pure sulpher of the yellow variety is, once i get some i'll definately be including it in an oil though....i take it that it dissolves easily-ish (or at least is doable) then?
    I'm quite excited about this now (i know, sad with no life! )
    http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7074/chloenewbig8rh.jpg
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

  6. #6
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,252
    Length
    28/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Haha hunni! Actually there was a time years ago in my uber-retro phase where i wished i could pull off some mad coloured afro and do that glitter overdose, platforms to break your neck in, disco look but the closest my hair got was when i took out microbraids and looked like i'd been plugged into an electric socket!

    Mira, thankyou so much for posting that, i remembered there was a thread either here or on the old boards about sulphur with a maximum concentration given but i had no idea where to look. I actually nearly picked up a bottle of powdered MSM today buying the tablet forms, but i had already spent more than i intended to so decided against it until i get to the beauty supply store (sally's) and see how much pure sulpher of the yellow variety is, once i get some i'll definately be including it in an oil though....i take it that it dissolves easily-ish (or at least is doable) then?
    I'm quite excited about this now (i know, sad with no life! )
    I have not tried dissolving the sulfur as the bottle that has measuring marks is currently being used for another mix that I'm trying to finish now. MSM is soluble in water, elemental sulfur (which is what would be used for this) is not water soluble. Elemental sulfur is harder to dissolve but should dissolve in oil in the small quantities. If there is some left undissolved, gently heat it.

    As to getting it. Make sure you are getting elemental sulfur, as some compounds containing sulfur are dangerous. Sulfur in any many forms, especially elemental sulfur, are volatile. Be careful.

    I've never seen elemental sulfur in Sally's. In some areas it's illegal to sell it for anything other than lab work as it can be used to make explosives. I got mine at the Russian pharmacy (chemists). Mine is a small (50 gram? 100 gram? something like that) bottle and it was less than $10.
    Blog private,100 posts/2 months.
    Indian herb hair care article Western Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .

  7. #7
    Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,473
    Length
    ?/33/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    I have not tried dissolving the sulfur as the bottle that has measuring marks is currently being used for another mix that I'm trying to finish now. MSM is soluble in water, elemental sulfur (which is what would be used for this) is not water soluble. Elemental sulfur is harder to dissolve but should dissolve in oil in the small quantities. If there is some left undissolved, gently heat it.

    As to getting it. Make sure you are getting elemental sulfur, as some compounds containing sulfur are dangerous. Sulfur in any many forms, especially elemental sulfur, are volatile. Be careful.

    I've never seen elemental sulfur in Sally's. In some areas it's illegal to sell it for anything other than lab work as it can be used to make explosives. I got mine at the Russian pharmacy (chemists). Mine is a small (50 gram? 100 gram? something like that) bottle and it was less than $10.
    Ah thanks for the warning there.....i'm wondering about those sulphur blocks you get to put in dogs water in hot weather.....i know it would be laborious but as 5g (i'd make 100ml of oil) shouldn't be that much then maybe it could be ground up in a pestle and morter. That's if i cant find the elemental sulphur in sally's.....i figure if it's sold to put in dogs drinking water it should be safe enough for topical use?
    http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7074/chloenewbig8rh.jpg
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

  8. #8
    Member Ms Monnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Age
    24
    Posts
    757
    Length
    APL/Waist/+++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    I made an oil with sulphur once. I can't tell whether or not it worked, my hair grew very fast at the time but it could have been a number of factors. I just measured it out (got the safe proportions somewhere else on this site) and dumped it in. It didn't dissolve and it was quite lumpy and separated and blocked the tip of my scalp applicating bottle. It was a little frustrating. Maybe I will make it again and heat it this time.

    It also smells funny .

    Redheads not warheads.

  9. #9
    Mad Scientist mira-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,252
    Length
    28/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Ah thanks for the warning there.....i'm wondering about those sulphur blocks you get to put in dogs water in hot weather.....i know it would be laborious but as 5g (i'd make 100ml of oil) shouldn't be that much then maybe it could be ground up in a pestle and morter. That's if i cant find the elemental sulphur in sally's.....i figure if it's sold to put in dogs drinking water it should be safe enough for topical use?
    Make sure those dog blocks are pure sulfur. There are many sulfur compounds but yes if it's safe for a dog to drink, it's generally seen as safe on the skin.

    Ms Monnie, I'm sure it was an oh so pleasant smell (rotten eggs anyone?).

    Adding the solid sulfur a little bit at a time then shaking to dissolve might help reduce the clumping too, even before adding heat.
    Blog private,100 posts/2 months.
    Indian herb hair care article Western Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .

  10. #10
    Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,473
    Length
    ?/33/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: shapley's mtg oil?

    I found this place that sells sulphur....
    http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Herbs-Root...owder/9084/413
    It's actually somewhere i keep meaning to take a trip to as well
    http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7074/chloenewbig8rh.jpg
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •