Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What actually happens if you use hair color over henna?

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default What actually happens if you use hair color over henna?

Searched for this topic but nothing came up for some reason.

Yeah, so what happens if you put dye over hennaed hair? I've been trying henna and now my color is looking very dull, and my hair is dry overall. I was thinking about using Naturtint hair dye to take it to my natural dark brown, but am scared my hair will fall out or something. I guess if that's not a good option, I could just keep using the Rainbow dark brown until it builds up to the dark color I want, but as I said henna is pretty drying on me.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What actually happens if you use hair color over henna?

You can do chemical color over Rainbow henna, I have done that and it's just fine. However, that Rainbow dark brown will get very dark if you do multiple applications, so you might not need to do the chemical color.

Have you tried doing some honey conditioning for the dryness?

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Still worried that it will fade to the current brassy hue or that it'll even end up worse. I may just go back to Rainbow and see if it builds up more... very scared of using chemicals because my hair is so healthy now.

Mellie, I tried using honey with an SMT once and it seemed to make my hair dryer I'll try it one more time for good measure, perhaps minus the aloe gel. I did buy some shea butter today and will try that also.
    Last edited by Tangles; October 5th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Still worried that it will fade to the current brassy hue or that it'll even end up worse. I may just go back to Rainbow and see if it builds up more... very scared of using chemicals because my hair is so healthy now.

Mellie, I tried using honey with an SMT once and it seemed to make my hair dryer I'll try it one more time for good measure, perhaps minus the aloe gel. I did buy some shea butter today and will try that also.
    try just honey mixed with your condish or applying straight aloe after your shower.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I did a honey lightening treatment which made my hair super glossy, here's the results:

After one treatment:

After 2:

I also tried a hibiscus rinse after a honey treatment, which was also very conditioning, although it made a red color:

I don't use conditioner in my honey treatment. I made a chamomile & mullein tea and added in some alfalfa honey, left it on about 1 hour.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Your hair won't fall out. I've chemically dyed over BAQ henna several times already (including naturtint).

All that happens is the henna prevents the chemical color from looking flat and shines through as red highlights.

My profile photo is henna with hair dye over it.

In my case, I couldn't get chemical dye to stick/stay in my hair when applied over henna. Granted, I had/have many, many layers of henna on my hair which makes me wonder if that somehow prevented chemical dye from binding, but I did try both demi-perm and perm. colors and they all washed out within about 2 weeks and did leave me with some damage.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Ahem... Uh, why yes even though I know better I have "been there, done that!"

Firstly, I had attempted to strip the offending bad color of henna (well, now come to find out part of the reason it turned out icky on me was because it wasn't just straight henna, but henna + indigo) with a mineral oil procedure (several times). I am not really sure that that whole thing had any effect at all, but anyhow...

To get to the point, the dye (bright bright red) did take, however it took in an extremely patchy manner, with parts of the henna showing through underneath. The overall effect was very bad. So bad, in fact, that shortly thereafter I cut it super short, then when that wasn't enough to cover how bad it was (and with no other recourse in sight) I buzzed it off myself and wore hats/bandanas for a while.

Yes, this is a sad yet true tale. PM me if you have any further questions. *I would not recommend dyeing over henna after this experience.*
    The Uncut Story <><><> Fragrance Free Options <><><>Aspiring Fairytale Ender

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I used straiight BAQ henna and afterwards hard trouble getting it to stick and had to dye more frequently.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Okay, Naturtint is out, too much risk of 1) damaging my hair or 2) having to redye frequently and therefore drying out my hair.

Honey is out, I do NOT want to lighten my hair.

Therefore my only option is to keep using Rainbow Dark Brown until I get the brown-black I want.