Thread: Hendigo GLOSS

Length
    pixie/bob/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Talking Hendigo GLOSS

I'm thinking about doing a hendigo gloss. Has anyone here tried this? I'm also curious how long it lasts and if when it begins to fade, is it reddish?

The recipe I've seen is:

1tsp henna
    1tsp indigo
    Mix both together in conditioner (no dye release) and apply immediately for 30mins to an hour. Rinse.

I have very short, medium brown hair and am trying to cover some (not a lot) of grey AND darken my hair a bit. I prefer more brown than red. Any and all information is appreciated.

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Hendigo GLOSS

Although I've not used that method, I suspect it would yield the same results as a pure indigo gloss, since indigo releases dye immediately, whereas henna does not. So, you'd get the dye effects of the indigo, but not the henna.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Having done this in the past, my experience is that the indigo faded rather quickly.

Indigo *always* fades quickly for me, unfortunately. I'd say about 3 weeks tops and the henna starts showing through.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've been doing this for the last year on my husbands light brown 'salt & pepper' hair.

The henna does take - and so does the indigo, but, yes, the indigo is the first to go and that leaves him with reddish hair

Maybe consider doing less henna to indigo i.e. flat teaspoon henna to rounded teaspoon of indigo.

Even so, the indigo will wash out sooner leaving you with the reddish lights.

However, the way around that is to do what I do with DH.

Do another gloss with indigo alone. Eventually, it may stick and become permanent.

Ultimately though, you'll want to redo your roots, and at that point you'll need to bring henna back into the frame. But it can be done - and a lot of us henna-heads are doing it all the time, even though it's more of a hassle than conventional hairdyes.

Length
    pixie/bob/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I went ahead and tried the hendigo gloss but I couldn't tell that it changed anything. Maybe I didn't use enough in the conditioner... who knows! I'm definitely looking into natural hair color vs. chemical because I feel that is the best, most healthy thing to do! Thank you for the feedback!

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by smilinjenn71 View Post
    I went ahead and tried the hendigo gloss but I couldn't tell that it changed anything. Maybe I didn't use enough in the conditioner... who knows! I'm definitely looking into natural hair color vs. chemical because I feel that is the best, most healthy thing to do! Thank you for the feedback!
    smilinjenn71, wait a few days to allow for oxidisation. You may have more color deposit than you realise.

When I lay down a hendigo gloss for DH, typically (and especially in evening light) his hair just looks a boring lightish brown.

As the days pass, the color enriches somewhat.