Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What actually happens if you use hair color over henna?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: What actually happens if you use hair color over henna?

There is this thread on molasses.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=163

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I tried several chemical colors and the henna always came through. So, I just decided to keep doing henna and I finally have it where I can say I actually love it. It has taken many layers of different kinds of henna, but the results are worth it. I think you have chosen the right path sticking with henna.

Length
    2/13/BSL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I tried an experiment to see if I could lighten my red as it was getting dark. I used chemical haircolor, Garnier, I think and it came out okay. It was slightly lighter but I lost the great condition the henna gave my hair. so, I henna'ed again, and its gotten its shine and health back. Right away actually. I won't do that again....I don't think...

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You will be fine . I have put darker colors over my hennaed hair and the red disappeared . I stopped hennaing in December last year and have used chemicals ever since , I am sure the henna red is underneath though. I do try to use red colors but when I haven't and have used a brown color the red disappears as I have said. My hair is in good condition.

Length
    31/32/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Hi there,,

After reading this thread it seems most of our friends dont mind dyeing on henna hair..

But something i should tell you out of my personal experience,,that DONT DYE RIGHT NOW,,
    This is one of my reasons of mine thinned hair,,I did the same mistake this june and end up with thin hair,,your hair is not gonna fall out just like that,, it will happen eventually..
    Firstly its gonna be rough,,that slowly that hairfall rate will increase..this is what happened to me,,Since then i have been thinking why did i do that?
    Anyways everyone's hair is different,,this is all my personal opinion,,I used Loreal excellence after putting henna..
    I have promised myself to be as natural as i can be

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Okay, Naturtint is out, too much risk of 1) damaging my hair or 2) having to redye frequently and therefore drying out my hair.

Honey is out, I do NOT want to lighten my hair.

Therefore my only option is to keep using Rainbow Dark Brown until I get the brown-black I want.
    Honey will not lighten your hair if you pop it in the microwave for a few seconds before applying it to your hair.

You should not have any problems dying over BAQ henna. Most people that complain of having bad results from doing so were not using straight henna. If the henna contains indigo (I'm not sure whether yours does or not) it can react to the peroxide in hair dye to create green tones, patchy color, damage, etc.

I tried henna for a little over 6 months, and it dried my hair out, made it fall out WAY worse than chemical color ever did, and I was unhappy with the color. I switched back to chemical dye, and haven't had any problems.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I think the Rainbow will definitely work for you. Try hibiscus or the microwaved honey for extra conditioning.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'm doing the Rainbow tonight. It was so tempting to just use one of those 10-minute dyes, but I just don't want to risk having the peroxide fade my hair to an even redder tint. Also, though henna IS drying, it's also true that it has strengthened my hair so much that I rarely get splits anymore. At this point I felt I had to take the whole growth thing into account as my hair is just long enough that I need to start being more careful with it. I'll simply have to oil/shea the heck out of my hair, LOL.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

How did it go? Please post pics so we can see!! :-)

Length
    12/12/33
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

I had very good results getting a dark brown by doing a full-head application of just indigo over my henndigo. I posted a pic in another thread, but so you don't have to go digging for it:

I only left it on for 15 mins, but as you can see it did darken quite well!
    Lady Woo, guardian of moogles in the Order of the Long Haired-Knights!