Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thirty-somethings Thread (ages 30-39 welcome!)

Length
    Chin/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Thirty-somethings Thread (ages 30-39 welcome!)

I'm in my early mid thirties (32), and I can't say I've really run into much public comment on my age & hair (aside from my MIL, who keeps exclaiming how surprised she is that it's "getting so long" every time I see her)...but here goes:

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

Nope...hair is not a hot topic amongst my friends, I guess. If the question ever came up, I think we would all get a good laugh out of trying to define "age appropriate".

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?

I'd say it's up about 70% of the time these days, but I don't really think about how it looks, it's either up and out of the way, or down because I don't need it out of the way and it doesn't need washing yet. I guess I'm at a point where I don't really worry about how my hair makes me look...I'm enjoying it and that ought to be good enough for everyone else.

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable).

No littles here, just a cat (who definitely thinks braid tassles are toys). Hair goes up when hanging out with friends' littles, though, and I could see how a parade of sticky grabby fingers would present a unique challenge!

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

Um...not sure how to answer this, really, it's just not on my radar. I mean, aging is a fact, and it sure beats the alternative. I'm not in my 20s any longer, and they aren't some ideal I aspire to, you know? I am where I am, and my hair has relatively little to do with that. I think experience and confidence are a better indicator of being in one's prime, so to speak.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?

I would love to have long silvery hair with wild color streaks (hard to get teal over my current henna...and if my relatives are a good barometer, I'll have silver hair in my early 50s to play with!) However, if my hair became a burden (say, hard to manage for myself or a caregiver), it'd get shortened to a manageable length in a hurry.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha

I've never really felt the need to ask. I think he's happy as long as I'm happy with it. I do know he's not a fan of finding the occasional shed hair tumbleweed, though...

SL ~ APL
    ~ BSL ~ MB abyss ~ WL ~ HIP ~ TB?
    minor trims to thicken ends before traipsing on toward HIP!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Wow, looks like we have a bunch of strong, fabulous women here, who never waver due to societal, or other pressures Or even notice them! That's amazing!

I can't really say I am like that, to the core, and I completely (think I ) get what Leilani was after with her questions. I can identify with the spirit of OP, and I have been having similar thoughts; not about hair, though, but about my clothes and style and appearance and look in general in the past 2-3 years. I call it (part of) my age crisis (the big 4-0 is approaching...).

BTW, I'd love to open this thread for men also, the original questions were very female-centered. Any 30 something guys out there? How have you experienced this age when it comes to hair?
    Last edited by Arctic; July 8th, 2015 at 02:45 PM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    BSL/37/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Do you get a lot of comments from your same aged friends that hint they think you would look more age appropriate with a more "stylish" hairstyle? What do you say?

A friend (she is 36) I only see a few times a year insinuated she really liked it when my hair was cut in a bob at my chin (this was probably 8 years ago? I'm 35 now) She said she thought I looked "cuter". (she currently has a bob, for what that's worth. Nothing wrong with it if you like it, but it looked horrible on me with my face shape. Really horrible. I hated that bob on me very, very much. So never again)
    No one else other than her has said anything like that..

Do you wear your hair "up all the time"? If so, do you feel like it looks matronly, aging or old fashioned on you?

I do wear it up lately about 90% of the time. It's hard to wear it down anymore, it winds itself around everything and generally makes a mess. It actually *wants* to be in a bun now, it's "fully trained" finally!
    Do I feel it looks aging and old fashioned? Yes. Probably. I also feel like I am too hard on myself and I'm getting to the point in my life where I want to do what I want to do. And if that means wearing my hair up because it's more comfortable and practical, then... why the heck not?

Do you have small children? Does that make keeping up with caring for your long hair a bit challenging? (I'm soon going to be mostly visiting the shower with an infant and toddler so hair treatments are not really doable).

I don't have any children and will not in the future

Do you think your hair draws attention to the fact that you're not in your twenties /a "young lady" anymore, and thus make you look older than you are, or do you think it frames your face and features in a way that makes you look like you are in your prime as a woman (because you are, in so many ways!!!)...?

Hum...... I do kind of get what OP is saying with this question, at least I think I do (?)
    I never really thought of it like that though. I'm not trying to be someone I'm not. I haven't the faintest idea how I appear to others... people will judge you for absolutely anything and everything, not just hair. So, I guess I don't know. But I don't think my hair makes me look older than I am. When I had eyebrow-length-straight-across bangs a few years ago I looked younger with those. But I hated them. And I'm not trying to look younger. Sorry if that answer doesn't make any sense lol.

Do you think you'll continue the same hair length/style in your 40s? 50s/senior citizen years?

I will always try to keep my hair long if it's healthy and in good shape. Definitely. Probably never any shorter than BSL if I can help it.

Does your SO love it or do they wish you would get a simpler haircut so you can spend more attention and energy on them? Hahaha

He likes me to wear my hair down. He does not like buns. But I wear it bunned most of the time and by now he knows better to not say anything. I wear it down for him if we go on a date or something. And when we get home, it gets detangled and put right back up again.

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I edited the OP to encourage you guys to just answer the questions if you want to but those questions are not supposed to be the point of this thread by any means. I just wanted us to have our own general chat thread, and thought a few questions would help get the ball rolling.
    Sorry to those of you who didn't understand or were put off by the questions. I don't know anyone IRL with long hair so I felt like a bit of a rebel with it and around here ALL women approaching 40 or over seem to cut it very short and ditch their contacts and go for thick glasses and switch to a very androgynous look, so I guess my environment has played a part in my musings.
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Honestly, I haven't really noticed anything.

Then again, most people think I'm a lot younger than I really am. I'm mostly suffering from baby talk and failed attempts at procreation. *that* is the one topic I've been getting a lot and I just want to beat them all.

I'm 31, married for 6 years and have two fur children. How or when I'll have children is nobody's business but ours. ~.~ I'm slowly teaching my mom to knock it off.

she's a fan of long hair, though, so I doubt I'll get much complaint about it being almost CL. Her gripes are that I have it colored and its an 'obnoxious, unnatural color' nobody would *ever* take me seriously.

I don't know. A lot of people do.

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I guess I just don't see how it's anybody else's problem how I dress, wear my hair etc. I don't pay any attention to other people's clothes or hair because I'm not them. They have right to wear whatever they want and they usually have a reason why they have chosen a particular 'style'. Personally, I've been that overweight that it was really hard to find any clothes. If I wear tracksuit bottoms that doesn't make me any less of a woman. If someone thinks so, it's just sad and extremery narrow view of femininity. I work with 50+ year old women and they don't have short hair or 'androgynous look' but if they did, good for them. That doesn't mean I have to do exactly the same thing when I turn 40 years old. I'm not a sheep and neither are most of the women I know. Especially now after having a kid, it's really important to be a good role model to my kid(s), have good self-esteem and be strong and proud of myself. And let them know, they can rock any style they want. It's so sad that some mothers pass their insecurities to their children.

But enough of that

If you've already had long hair for some time now, have your updo skills gotten better over the years? Mine aren't . I still can't do a french braid and I'm wearing a nautilus pretty much everyday because it's fast, easy and relatively secure.

Length
    23/32/41
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post

If you've already had long hair for some time now, have your updo skills gotten better over the years? Mine aren't . I still can't do a french braid and I'm wearing a nautilus pretty much everyday because it's fast, easy and relatively secure.
    My hair has been between apl and hip since middle school and it's only within the past two years or so that I've had any luck figuring out updos. I first learned to french braid about three years ago. I'm still not great with braids and updos but at least I've improved a little.
    "It must have been the roses, the roses or the ribbons in her long brown hair" -Robert Hunter

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by leilani View Post
    I edited the OP to encourage you guys to just answer the questions if you want to but those questions are not supposed to be the point of this thread by any means. I just wanted us to have our own general chat thread, and thought a few questions would help get the ball rolling.
    Sorry to those of you who didn't understand or were put off by the questions. I don't know anyone IRL with long hair so I felt like a bit of a rebel with it and around here ALL women approaching 40 or over seem to cut it very short and ditch their contacts and go for thick glasses and switch to a very androgynous look, so I guess my environment has played a part in my musings.
    I got it

Oh my, I don't seem to be very womanly by your description (not offended, just giggling!). I wear glasses, love androgynous style and have short hair by LHC standards, and have often sported pixie cuts I assure you I am still woman, even if I'm not very traditionally feminine *giggles*

Here in Finland most women of my age do seem to have shorter styles, but I do also see APL hair, sometimes even longer. Several of my friends and aquintances (sp?) wear theirs long. My settings (university) probably helps with this, too.

However, surprisingly many women of my age and older have, for the past ten (?) years been very drawn to short, asymmetrical cuts with unnatural colours - or their hairdressers push these styles because they are high maintainance. I love unnatural colours but when you see every other 45 year old having wine red hair or something it looses its appeal.

In Finland we have a bit different kind of gender appearance "rules" than in some other western countries. Women do not need to spend hours in front of mirror, it's part of societal equality. Women here have historically been poor and hardworking, which hasn't lent to a culture of frilly feminity. I wouldn't be surprised if roots of this would be visible even today. We tend to be very practical to a fault too.

Does anyone spend time in universities? There you can, at least here, see long hair quite a lot, even on "older" people (men and women).
    Last edited by Arctic; July 9th, 2015 at 03:32 AM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Marika View Post
    *snip*
    I can see (or rather feel) some improvement in "bunning / updo skills" (and I better do - I've been wearing my hair up for about 5 years now, lol), but still there are buns (some of them quite simple) that I haven't "got" how to do properly yet (by properly I mean so that they consistently stay put and be secure, and won't pull or fall apart)...

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I've never had anyone not take me seriously because of the color of my hair. And it's as obnoxiously colored as it can get.