Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oat water for hair?

Length
    23/32/41
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default oat water for hair?

Okay, I couldn't resist any longer! After reading this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=131854 I just have to ask, does anyone have any experience with using oatmeal or oat water in hair? I know it can be really nice for skin, but I never would have guessed it could be effective for cleaning hair. Tomorrow is my wash day and I'm really tempted to try it. (Assuming my kids haven't eaten all my oatmeal.)

ETA: For fewer clicks, here's the article that the above thread discusses: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...cleansers.html
    -Anje
    Last edited by Anje; May 27th, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
    "It must have been the roses, the roses or the ribbons in her long brown hair" -Robert Hunter

Length
    16.1/30.31/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: oat water for hair?

I don't, but my mother has. She had a lot of problems with very dry skin, so I told her about using oat water for her skin.
    It worked pretty well, and after a while she decided to use it on her hair, I think at this point she does not use anything else anymore.
    I do have to say that she has pretty short hair, and washes it everyday. It might not work so well if your hair is long and you don't wash it daily.
    May 12th 2012, virgin hair back!
    chin, shoulder,apl,bsl,waist, hip,tailbone, classic.
    Hip length expected in January 2016.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Haha, I saw that thread too and considered making myself some oat water to try! It is very tempting.
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I'm curious, too. I have very dry skin and eczema on my legs. I sometimes resort to oatmeal baths for a little soothing when it flairs up, but I've never heard of anyone using it on hair. I imagine it would be very gentle on the scalp, which is great. I'm surprised it was found to clean so well!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Do I remember correctly, that HairKay has used oat water or oats in some form? Hope she sees this.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Add me to the curious people who are saying "oat water?!?"
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I do!! I use it everyday on my hair and skin.
    My recipe for 50ml (sorry for people who are not used to metric system):
    water 45ml
    vegetal glycerin 5ml
    oat 5gr
    conservative 15 drops

I just mix everything in a bottle, let it 24h, and I shake the bootle before using. It's very useful to untangle my dry and curly hair.

Length
    12/28/*hip*
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Maybe someone Really Smart can say something substantial about this oatmeal water? Like, how the chemical process goes, because it had something to do with ...saponines and things. Chemistry stuff.

I still have in mind all those happy reports I keep seeing of people saying how well the natural mixture of vinegar and baking soda cleans their hair, and it is so natural, and then I'm like yes but it's also a natural drain cleaner. (disclaimer: I just did a vinear rinse, okay, I'm not bashing vinegar, it's just the combining of vinegar and baking soda that gives me the creeps.)

Aka: Natural okay, but is is hairsafe?

Edit: Oh we have a user! User tell us more! What is this preservative you add? How well does it clean compared to shampoo? Tell us more!
    Heavenly Shopping Goddess in Mallheaven. Grant me strength in my Time Out and drive away temptation of dymondwood and colorburls, protect me against acrylics and holly, in the name of my wallet, my mortgage, and my kittens' hungry bellies, amen.

Length
    23/32/41
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gergour View Post
    I do!! I use it everyday on my hair and skin.
    My recipe for 50ml (sorry for people who are not used to metric system):
    water 45ml
    vegetal glycerin 5ml
    oat 5gr
    conservative 15 drops

I just mix everything in a bottle, let it 24h, and I shake the bootle before using. It's very useful to untangle my dry and curly hair.
    Cool! I'm excited to see an actual recipe. I just realized that I'm out of oatmeal so I think I'll have to wait until next week to give it a try. (Silly kids, thinking food is for eating. Everyone knows it's for hair!)
    "It must have been the roses, the roses or the ribbons in her long brown hair" -Robert Hunter

Type
    2a/F/i

I tried it once but it didn't strain very well and I ended up with mushy oatmeal stuck in my hair. I used ground oatmeal...it should be easier if you use whole. Not sure how well it would clean because I mixed mine with an egg yolk when I did it. I do still use ground oatmeal on my face and it's cleared up almost all my acne spots!!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!