Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Olive Oil

I know many of you love to use coconut, but is there anyone who uses pure olive oil? I'm thinking about it since I've only done it once. My questions are, is it okay to use the extra virgin type found at the grocery store? Also, how would you recommend applying it and how much? The one time I used too much and sported perpetually wet-looking hair for a week My hair is TBL, fine and quite thin.

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Olive Oil

Olive oil is my hairs favorite oil! I use the same bottle I have in my kitchen for cooking, I just put it in a small dropper bottle for the bathroom. I use about two drops as a leave in on wet hair, or I use it as part of the ROO method mixed with other oils. I use it for heavy overnight oilings too. My hair adores it, and even though my hair is fine and thin I can use a surprising amount of it before it gets stringy and if I over do it, my hair soaks it up so chances are it will look fine in the morning. Hope this helps!!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Yes you can use the extra virgin olive oil you find in the grocery store. I recommend using it on wet/damp hair after a wash to retain more moisture in your hair. If you leave it in until the next wash, it will do a better job of penetrating your hair strands. With oils, less is more so use 1-5 drops on your hair. Since olive oil is really heavy, you might have more luck using a small amount of oil.

To apply you can get a q-tip and coat one end of the q-tip with oil. Then take the q-tip and dab it a few times on your palms. Rub your hands together together and then run your hands through your hair until your hands start running out of oil. Again, try using a small amount of oil. If you need more oil, you can always add another drop.

Or if you don't want to use the q-tip method, you can just tilt the bottle carefully until a drop of it falls into the Palm of your hand. Just be careful not to spill a lot. Then just rub your hands together and apply the oil to your hair

I do! I just oiled my hair with extra virgin olive oil two days ago, I left it on for less than two hours. My hair came out unbelievably soft!

I pour a little bit of oil on the palms of my hands and work it through my hair, repeating until it is evenly saturated (looking wet). For me that makes around 2 or 3 tablespoons, next time I will count to know the exact amount. I have never had any problem washing it off with shampoo. Conditioner helps with removing oil, too.

You could try using less oil and a sulfate shampoo to wash your hair after oiling.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My favorite oil is still mineral oil, especially for ROO (rinse-out oil method) and for LOC (links in signature) but I might consider olive oil when my bottle of MO runs out. I love how it smells!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    bob/27.5/hip??
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I use olive oil after every wash, it's great! I just use the same stuff I use to cook with. Once I've washed, conditioned and put a bit of leave-in on I seal with the olive oil. My hair hates anything coconut, argan was too heavy but I found olive light worked well. It's definitely worth giving it a shot.
    **shoulder**cbl**apl**BSL**waist**

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thanks everyone. I tried the olive oil last night as a pre-shampoo but left it on longer than I meant to (7 hours). It didn't fully wash out and my hair is still sticky in spots and also very limp, but I think it was a vast improvement over the last use I'm going to try it on wet hair and also keep decreasing the amount I use so I should get the hang of it soon.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    Thanks everyone. I tried the olive oil last night as a pre-shampoo but left it on longer than I meant to (7 hours). It didn't fully wash out and my hair is still sticky in spots and also very limp, but I think it was a vast improvement over the last use I'm going to try it on wet hair and also keep decreasing the amount I use so I should get the hang of it soon.
    How long to you leave your conditioner on for? If you just apply it then rinse off straight away maybe try leaving it on for longer and see if that removes the olive oil better. Conditioner removes oil well if you leave it on for a while, though I do hear olive mentioned by people reporting they have trouble removing it properly. I brought some olive oil to try as I only tried it once many years ago and didnt like it at the time but as my hair loves oil I feel I should give it another go.
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; May 25th, 2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typos
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Chin/Hip!/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I tried coconut oil and it made my hair rough feeling. So, I switched to EVOO and my hair loves it. I use it pre-poo and post. After washing, I put a tiny amount mixed with a few drops of vanilla EO on the last 2-3 inches of my slightly more than damp hair and it feels and smells awesome afterwards. By tiny amount, I mean just enough for there to be a slight sheen on my hair. I'm going to say it's about a teaspoon but I'm horrible with approximating measurements.

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Olive oil used to be my go-to, above all favorite oil - until my local store discontinued the brand I used, then nothing was the same! Now, keeping in mind that I have very thick, semi-coarse hair, so what I used is probably much more than what you should use for your hair type! I want to say that I used about a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Cold-pressed Olive Oil - the cold-pressed was important to me since it meant the oil contained all the natural nutrients versus the quality being impacted if it was heated. I always applied it when my hair was semi-damp, too, because I felt that it absorbed better that way for some reason.

For you, I would recommend just a smidge of oil, so probably just enough to coat your hands at first and if your hair seems to absorb it, then you can add a bit more. That way, you avoid the "wet" look.