Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you feel the urge to cut, then think about...

Default Re: If you feel the urge to cut, then think about...

The... The... The... awkward stage... *hides in corner*

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Having recently cut my hair to fix an epically bad haircut fail from several years ago, that's what I think about.

5 or so years ago, a newbie stylist made a huge mistake when cutting my hair. I had just wanted a simple trim with a bit of layering on the bottom and instead, she sectioned my hair and chopped nearly 12 inches off the top layer because she was too busy having a conversation with her friend. And, since my head was down and I had hair covering my eyes, I didn't know anything bad had happened until I heard her say, "Oops, I can fix this." Not the best thing to hear when someone is holding a scissors! So, that's what I think about. I think about the embarrassment and anguish over how terrible my hair looked and how ugly it made me feel, how many cruel and heartless comments I received from supposed "friends" and coworkers, and how it took 5 years to grow the shortest layer to a point where I felt comfortable cutting it to one length (tailbone). I think about how, at the time, I was already pretty severely depressed and that "mistake" by a stupid stylist nearly caused me to commit suicide because I couldn't take being made fun of. I think about all the times I had to go back to that same salon to have it "fixed" and for them to try to blend the choppy layer better, but having the then-manager tell me, "Wow, she really screwed up big time." I think of all the times I wanted so desperately to wear my hair down and feel pretty again, but I had to settle for a half-updo every single day to hide the mistake - this is the main reason I won't wear any half-updos to this day.

It helps that I also have photographic evidence of that time, too, so whenever I feel the need to change my look, I pull up those pictures and remind myself it just isn't worth it.

Length
    12/42/48+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

That sounds awful, Endlessly! Going for a trim always makes me extremely nervous because of such things. I think I will trim it myself next time, or ask a long-hair-friendly person to do it!
    http://s24.postimg.org/bk9mfxret/Segment_3maart2013_25sept2014_2.png

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I actually never had the urge to cut since I started growing my hair out, only to trim a bit more to get thicker ends sometimes, but I've always kept to my schedule so far.

Anyway, I actually wanted to post on this thread to say your Saruman reference is awesome.

Length
    Chin/CBL+/WL

I think about the fact that I just might be a bride in a few years, and I don't want short hair that day! I want waist+ IF that is a possibility.

And of course the triangle head, who forgets that!!!?

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

All of the blowdrying I'd have to do to make it look decent. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Whenever I get the urge to cut, I always remind myself that EVERY TIME I have done this in the past I have regretted doing it so bitterly. Then I think of how many years of frustration I will have while I grow it long again. Plus I am not as young as I used to be.

Anyway (I tell myself), short hair JUST SITS THERE and you can't do any interesting buns or anything. And I would just look like everyone else.

....And.... I'm an artist, and artists are supposed to look different...
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    24"/29"/40 in
    Type
    1c/M/ii

My sister, who started shorter than me, now has slightly longer hair now (because mine was damanged.) Can't... let... her... win....
    "They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!" -Terry Pratchett

Length
    Bob/Waist/FTL

I rarely have those thoughts but when I do I open the old photo album and look at the pics. Spiked hair, pixie, bob, super short bangs, the shag, the mullet. That cures me

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    The... The... The... awkward stage... *hides in corner*
    Oh yes, never ever in my life going though that phase again!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Anyway (I tell myself), short hair JUST SITS THERE and you can't do any interesting buns or anything. And I would just look like everyone else.

....And.... I'm an artist, and artists are supposed to look different...
    Oh Sarah you are so right, we artist are supoose to be different, love your comment!!!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>