Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1b Hair Frustrations - Suggestions Welcomed!!!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: 1b Hair Frustrations - Suggestions Welcomed!!!

I agree with others, your hair has very smooth surface to my eye. No-one has all hair at same length and aligned just so, and when taking close up photos, there is always some hairs out of place.

Your hair is extremely pretty, I forgot to write that in my first post

As for hairtyping, I'm not very good at it. But to my understanding 1b is straight with tiny bit of bodywave (volume) and maybe some bendy ends. 1a would lack all of those. 1 c would start to have few more waves and maybe even more volume than 1b.

Now this is not a hairtyping photo you have here, you wrote that it's brushed. But the photo tells me your waves, at least some of them seem to be pretty strong. 1b+c often has waves that comb out easily. You middle photo seems more straight and that I would say 1b. But the other two, the wave patters looks a lot how my canopy looked when it was typed 2a (my hair is straigher now, and my canopy and underlayers were of different texture). Now I realize it's contradictory to suggest 1 b and 2a from photos taken at the same time. So maybe 1 c?

If you have interest and time in near future, why not have a proper hair typing photos taken?

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

I'm not sure if this is considered a proper hair typing photo, but here it is. There is a little bit more wave underneath my top hairs on the left side.

Henniscus (henna and hibiscus) for Cherry Cola color.....BSL going for TBL

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Okay, I see, your closeup photos made it appear it is more wavy. This photo I might put into the 1b category, maybe 1b/c.

A proper hairtyping photo is one taken after washing and airdrying without combing, touching (fingercombing, playing with hair etc) or brushing.

I need to say it again, that to my eye your hair surface is very smooth looking, no frizz anywhere in sight. Very shiny!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by texangrrl View Post
    Thank you for your kind words!!

(Snip)

Maybe I'm confusing the flyaways with frizzies? But I'm not really sure I know the diffrence between the two. I don't think my hair is course - quite the opposite. Anytime someone has messed with my hair, I get complimented on how soft it is.

I do use Suave Naturals shampoo, but only on my scalp and I Suave Naturals conditioner. I've found that anything else seems too heavy and just sits on my hair, creating a heavy waxy feeling. However, I'm actually going to try and make a switch to shampoo bars in the next couple of weeks because I want to go with a more organic, natural hair care routine. I use oil occasionally, but only pre-poo. Maybe I just need to find a nice, light oil to apply to get a smoother look?
    Frizz is a texture thing, a feeling, as much as an appearance. Your hair is generally smooth with a few hairs sticking out. That's less frizz and more flyaway. Frizz is more like, when every hair seems to want to stick out in a different direction, and it feels rougher and is less cooperative.

Natural is overrated and unregulated and can be used as a label on any product that contains a single not-human-made ingredient. Like, salt is natural, but in large quantities it will dry hair out (even though it's often used to give beach-wave effects). Poison ivy is natural but I wouldn't want it anywhere NEAR my scalp! But seriously, there's a reason that commercial shampoos and conditioners are so successful: they're designed just to work effectively on hair. You just might not have found the right ones for your particular needs yet.

If you feel things are heavy or weigh your hair down quickly, then you may be better off using a more sulfate-y or at least more cleansing/clarifying kind of shampoo rather than a "natural" or sulfate-free one, to make sure that your hair has as little buildup as possible. Buildup can also cause wave patterns to be disrupted, so clarifying and using a stronger shampoo might give you more of the waves you crave. You may have to use a heavier conditioner afterward, but as long as you don't apply it above your shoulders it shouldn't weigh your hair down the way you describe it, and it's totally possible that your current conditioner will still work.

If you do want to use an oil after washing, you can try a drop of whatever you're using pre-shampoo now, or whatever's in your kitchen. Just take one or two drops, rub them all over your fingers as if your fingers need the oil and not your hair, and then fingercomb through the length of the hair. If your fingers lose the "shine" of the oil, add one more drop, spread it around, and keep fingercombing. You don't want your hair to look super greasy, you just want to get a little bit of oil everywhere.

If you plan to change any of the products you use or add anything, do it one item at a time and give it a few washes in between so you can really see how your hair is reacting to the change. Changing shampoo and conditioner and adding oil all at once might shock your hair and you won't know what's causing the biggest problem.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Hair typing photos have less to do with the photo and more to do with what you've done with your hair. To get the most accurate idea of your hair type, you want to let it dry without manipulating it, including brushing or combing, after your final rinse in the shower. If that's accurate for the photo you posted, then I'd say you're a 1b/1c. Otherwise, you've probably got a bit more wave and might want to consider doing a proper hair type photo.

Regardless of type, you've got lovely hair. I definitely wouldn't ever call it frizzy.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Your hair looks kind of like mine, so I'd say you're definitely waiver than you first thought.
    That said, I don't have much advice. My hair is frizzy at the end because it's not straight, but not wavy or curly enough to clump together, plus my hair hates oil and I've run out of panacea (nightbloomings panacea was a major discovery for me, but since I'm all over the country just now which makes shipping awkward). Plus, I get flyaways from my finer hairs on top of that, especially right now as my major health/medication-related shed is just growing back in.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nique1202 View Post
    Frizz is a texture thing, a feeling, as much as an appearance. Your hair is generally smooth with a few hairs sticking out. That's less frizz and more flyaway. Frizz is more like, when every hair seems to want to stick out in a different direction, and it feels rougher and is less cooperative.

Natural is overrated and unregulated and can be used as a label on any product that contains a single not-human-made ingredient. Like, salt is natural, but in large quantities it will dry hair out (even though it's often used to give beach-wave effects). Poison ivy is natural but I wouldn't want it anywhere NEAR my scalp! But seriously, there's a reason that commercial shampoos and conditioners are so successful: they're designed just to work effectively on hair. You just might not have found the right ones for your particular needs yet.

If you feel things are heavy or weigh your hair down quickly, then you may be better off using a more sulfate-y or at least more cleansing/clarifying kind of shampoo rather than a "natural" or sulfate-free one, to make sure that your hair has as little buildup as possible. Buildup can also cause wave patterns to be disrupted, so clarifying and using a stronger shampoo might give you more of the waves you crave. You may have to use a heavier conditioner afterward, but as long as you don't apply it above your shoulders it shouldn't weigh your hair down the way you describe it, and it's totally possible that your current conditioner will still work.

If you do want to use an oil after washing, you can try a drop of whatever you're using pre-shampoo now, or whatever's in your kitchen. Just take one or two drops, rub them all over your fingers as if your fingers need the oil and not your hair, and then fingercomb through the length of the hair. If your fingers lose the "shine" of the oil, add one more drop, spread it around, and keep fingercombing. You don't want your hair to look super greasy, you just want to get a little bit of oil everywhere.

If you plan to change any of the products you use or add anything, do it one item at a time and give it a few washes in between so you can really see how your hair is reacting to the change. Changing shampoo and conditioner and adding oil all at once might shock your hair and you won't know what's causing the biggest problem.
    Thank you! I just might try that with the oil and go from there. I'll have to find a light oil though because my hair doesn't seem to absorb them too well.

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tigereye View Post
    Your hair looks kind of like mine, so I'd say you're definitely waiver than you first thought.
    That said, I don't have much advice. My hair is frizzy at the end because it's not straight, but not wavy or curly enough to clump together, plus my hair hates oil and I've run out of panacea (nightbloomings panacea was a major discovery for me, but since I'm all over the country just now which makes shipping awkward). Plus, I get flyaways from my finer hairs on top of that, especially right now as my major health/medication-related shed is just growing back in.
    I've heard a lot about her panacea. I just recently ordered some Yemeni henna from her - I should've bought a sample of that or maybe a sample of one of her lighter oils.

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Yes, I think you are more towards 1C and maybe more wavy bits. 1B are like weird ¨bends¨ going on.

Those frizzes are totally common and ok. Your hair is just pretty and color lovely.

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Idk what to put here ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Girrrrrrrl I wish I had your hair! It's so sleek and shiny and smooth.

The grass is always greener, they say.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights