Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a hairpiece (fringe/bangs) from your own hair.

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Making a hairpiece (fringe/bangs) from your own hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    Thank you all! I've found the clips on amazon.
    Do you think I can glue the hair strands on a thin ribbon with fabric glue and then attach the clips to the ribbon? I think it's a bit easier than sewing the hair strands together. I don't have a sewing machine and even if I could borrow one somewhere I have no idea how to use it.

I've tried to find a place where wigs are made, without success.
    I don't think glue would work, you could use lace and knot the hair straight into that, there are tutorials on the net for this, search for ventilating a hair piece. It may be time consuming but will be more permanent than glue I think. You could then sew the weft clips onto that.
    Tailbone to Classic!
    Wear your hair up challenge
    Microtrimming and Maintaining

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes Hannah View Post
    I don't think glue would work, you could use lace and knot the hair straight into that, there are tutorials on the net for this, search for ventilating a hair piece. It may be time consuming but will be more permanent than glue I think. You could then sew the weft clips onto that.
    Thank you very much. I know now what ventilating is... But it's way too time consuming... I have grown 100 inches of hair when I'm done, I'm afraid...
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Given how much effort you're willing to put in, the only option that could possibly give you reasonable results is gluing the hair to the underneath of a wide plastic headband. No, you won't have many styling options, but you should be able to make it reasonably convincing. Making something that doesn't need a headband would require either a sewing machine or a lot of time and effort. Ribbon and glue would just look messy.

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kaydana View Post
    Given how much effort you're willing to put in, the only option that could possibly give you reasonable results is gluing the hair to the underneath of a wide plastic headband. No, you won't have many styling options, but you should be able to make it reasonably convincing. Making something that doesn't need a headband would require either a sewing machine or a lot of time and effort. Ribbon and glue would just look messy.
    I thought of glueing it and then wearing it under a braid braided over my ear and put over the head to the other ear...
    I'm sure even when I sew it it won't look good enough to wear it uncovered...
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    2cm/hips/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

You need: tight thin mesh (get natural fabric, it will move better. habadashery (spelling?)), sewing machine, very thin needle and thread (silk the best), very thin paper (like the one used to stuff shoe boxes or parcels, thinner even better), hair grips, practice with the sewing hair with few strands and time.
    1 - cut a strip of mesh
    2 - comb a strand and lay it out on the mesh
    3 - cut a stip of paper and lay it on top
    4 - sew with sewing machine (standard stitch). Choose a contrasting colour thread.
    5 - remove the paper
    You now have something you can handle and start the real work with.
    6 - spend ages hand sewing the hairs as fine as you can over the machine stitch (long stitch reversed).
    When you feel that the hairs are sturdy enough on the mesh, remove the machine stitch.
    Repeat with your practice strand: you should see your work getting tidier, stronger and needing less stitches therefore more invisible on the hair.
    7 - make your real fringe.
    8 - sew the grips on each end.
    9 - wear and BE PROUD

10 is optional but I would love to see *:OD

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elea View Post
    You need: tight thin mesh (get natural fabric, it will move better. habadashery (spelling?)), sewing machine, very thin needle and thread (silk the best), very thin paper (like the one used to stuff shoe boxes or parcels, thinner even better), hair grips, practice with the sewing hair with few strands and time.
    1 - cut a strip of mesh
    2 - comb a strand and lay it out on the mesh
    3 - cut a stip of paper and lay it on top
    4 - sew with sewing machine (standard stitch). Choose a contrasting colour thread.
    5 - remove the paper
    You now have something you can handle and start the real work with.
    6 - spend ages hand sewing the hairs as fine as you can over the machine stitch (long stitch reversed).
    When you feel that the hairs are sturdy enough on the mesh, remove the machine stitch.
    Repeat with your practice strand: you should see your work getting tidier, stronger and needing less stitches therefore more invisible on the hair.
    7 - make your real fringe.
    8 - sew the grips on each end.
    9 - wear and BE PROUD

10 is optional but I would love to see *:OD
    WOW!
    Thank you!

Length
    2cm/hips/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Pleasure.
    Take your time and enjoy the process *:OD

Tip. Keep a couple of small strands aside, fold them in 2, tie in the middle and you will find them very handy to link in the real fake fringe and your hair. A sweet little bobby pin through the tie or one of the last grip tooth will keep that in place (like hair pieces).