Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what length did sticks and/or forks work for you

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: what length did sticks and/or forks work for you

My hair is really thin. I could get a bun to hold with a stick at APL, but it had to be damp hair. Once Ilearned the LWB though I never looked back! That's my most frequent style, LWB with a stick.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I've been wearing a 4.5" to 5" functional prong length (2-prong fork) since waist/hip and am TBL+ now, with 2/3 inches to go until I reach classic length. It's still okay for me. I have some forks that have a 6" functional prong length and they're fine also. Most of the toys I got have that length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I'm at classic and even with the length and texture of a 2, I can't get the sticks to, well, stick. Sometimes I use 2 and they hold with certain styles, but never as well as a fork, and I now need a 5 to 6 inch 3 prong fork to keep things secure. Seems sticks work best for quite thick hair.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Oh yes, I forgot the dampening trick! Like Nadine, if I really want to wear a (non-natural wood!) stick, I will lightly mist my hair. This helps a lot for it to stay. But for me - sticks are almost exclusively for third and fourth day hair (I wash twice a week). There is no way on earth they would work for first or second day hair no matter what trick I try.

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Length
    16/26/30?
    Type
    1b/F/i

I've got fine hair just under 2" circumference close to BSL, and both sticks and forks work for me. I just have to make sure they're not to big or heavy. I have one stick that keeps trying to slide out because of the weight of the topper, but my others just sit there happily holding my hair. I'm still learning various buns, and some do seem to work better with a stick than a fork or vice versa.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I'm about a 5 circumference and plus just--pouffy. I've got shrinkage galore so its hard to say what length my hair is at any given time. I think I started to do buns with a stick instead of just doing a faux crown braid around my head when my hair appeared to be shoulder length-but was actuall probably APL? and forks around the same time. first I used those horn ones from one of the those Vietnamese ebay places and then I used ketylo sticks and a 60th street fork.

My first 'real' bun was a disc bun which I could kind of do when my hair appeared to be just below shoulder but was actually BSL? the keylo would work in that. Around this time I discovered Jeterfroks, wish I'd had a 4 prong Jeter earlier as I could probably have used from around when I was about shoulder (but looked like ear length).

last summer I discovered lady iduns and all I am going to say is that some sticks hold up hair way better at shorter lengths than others.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rhosyn_du View Post
    A locked bee-butt is when you make a bee-butt bun, then take the top/inner coil and pull it down around the outside of the other coils.
    Thank you very much, rhosyn_du!

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

Hi thank you all for your advice and responses!
    My hair is very slippery which doesn't help with sticks. I am intrigued by Rags ketylos, I will have a look at them. My hair does work better on day 3-4, the slip seems a little less then. The dampening hair trick sounds like it might help too, thanks [B]Nadine[B]. Ihave put my hair up damp after it has been freshly washed with a fork and that may work with a stick too.
    Meteor I will try twisting a bit more too. I can do the nautilus, but have not conquered the LWB at all and I know its one of the easier buns to do.
    Tailbone to Classic!
    Wear your hair up challenge
    Microtrimming and Maintaining

Length
    //Thigh//
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

When I first started wearing forks and sticks, I chose 5 1/2 inches for a stick and I think a fork with 4" functional length.