Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castor oil = major shedding?

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Castor oil = major shedding?

I have read a bunch on here about the benefits of castor oil and it helping to grow thicker hair. I have been having scalp issues as well as thinning hair and increased shedding, for which I'm seeing a dermatologist about. But I thought I'd try castor oil mixed with coconut oil for a scalp massage/all over oiling for a pre poo. I applied a good amount, maybe too much of the mixture because my hair was covered in the stuff. I put a turbie twist on and left it like that overnight.

I just got out of the shower and I'm freaking out because there was double the shed hair! Maybe even more than that and I'm already shedding too much as it is. Is this the cause of using castor oil? What is going on?

Here is a pictureright pic is normal shed amount and left pic is today's monster shed)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Arwenlily; April 25th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
    SL - 19 - 20 - 21- APL ​- 23 - 24 - BSL - 26 - 27- 28 - MBL - 30 - 31- WL
    ~*~Measured when curly ~*~

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Castor oil = major shedding?

Did you apply it to your scalp as well? And, do you normally use oil on your scalp? Some people do find that certain oils cause a lot of hairfall when they get worked into the scalp and not just the length.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

i've heard of this happening with some people, i don't think you're alone. castor oil never did much to my hair.

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nique1202 View Post
    Did you apply it to your scalp as well? And, do you normally use oil on your scalp? Some people do find that certain oils cause a lot of hairfall when they get worked into the scalp and not just the length.
    Yes, I massaged it into my scalp as well. At first I tried applying it alone and it was too sticky obviously, so I mixed it with coconut oil and massaged the mixture all over my scalp and on the length. I counted the hairs from the shed monster and it was about 70 hairs! 70! I really can't afford to lose that much hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Don't be so hard on yourself, even the bigger bunch of hair is minimal if you compare it to what I lose. I don't think that's a lot of hair to lose at all.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Oh, this is quite normal! When you start oiling scalp and/or massaging scalp, you get more shedding than usual. But the shedding should taper off after a couple regular oil massages. If you don't see clear reduction of shedding after a few times, then yes, I would consider other scalp oils or maybe not oiling scalp at all...

Length
    chin/?/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair. Especially since castor oil is one of the heavier oils, it might not suit your hair type. I tried massaging my scalp with all sorts of oils and no matter the oil, or pressure on my fingertips, it just never worked out for me. Perhaps you can try eating more healthy fats in your diet (fish, avocado), garlic/onion, or try indian powders like henna to strengthen the roots of your hair. Hope this helped
    | SL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL | HL
    | S&D for 2019 |

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusEscape View Post
    Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair.
    I agree. If you experience more shedding than normal, then I wouldn't do it again.

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself, even the bigger bunch of hair is minimal if you compare it to what I lose. I don't think that's a lot of hair to lose at all.
    Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Do you think though that you are maybe shedding more hair because you have more of it than I do? My dermatologist told me that I'm shedding more hair than average.

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Oh, this is quite normal! When you start oiling scalp and/or massaging scalp, you get more shedding than usual. But the shedding should taper off after a couple regular oil massages. If you don't see clear reduction of shedding after a few times, then yes, I would consider other scalp oils or maybe not oiling scalp at all...
    I hope this true but I don't know if I'm willing to take the risk. I'm so worried about my hair fall as it is and overall thinning of my hair. Much of the thinning as at the ends from damage but it is scary! Do you think I should keep trying or stop?

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusEscape View Post
    Maybe massaging your scalp with oil is just not the right thing for your hair. Especially since castor oil is one of the heavier oils, it might not suit your hair type. I tried massaging my scalp with all sorts of oils and no matter the oil, or pressure on my fingertips, it just never worked out for me. Perhaps you can try eating more healthy fats in your diet (fish, avocado), garlic/onion, or try indian powders like henna to strengthen the roots of your hair. Hope this helped
    What was applying oils to your scalp like for you? How didn't it work out? I didn't know that henna could help strengthen the roots ... I have been wanting to try henna but I have no idea where to start.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arwenlily View Post
    Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. Do you think though that you are maybe shedding more hair because you have more of it than I do? My dermatologist told me that I'm shedding more hair than average.
    Do you perhaps have an underlying medical issue? I'm just asking...