Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think shampoo gets a bad rap here....

Length
    10 in/10 in/25 in

Default I think shampoo gets a bad rap here....

because I just used my Nexxus shampoo to do a load of whites and it really turned out well. No better than my regular detergent, but no worse. It's a really big Costco bottle that has been sitting unused. I made the mistake of using it in the shower the other day because my hair was feeling so, grimey. Well I ended up with a head full of straw. It was so gross, frizzy and dry as a bone. So I thought if it can strip my hair so badly maybe I can clean with it rather than just throw it away. I soaked some dishes in my sink that I'd let get dry with last night's dinner using the shampoo and it cleaned better than my usual dish soap. I ran out of d/w detergent laundry detergent and dish soap all at the same time so while I'm figuring out some good natural, homemade cleaning supplies I think I'll try to use this up. I did try it in the dishwasher and it didn't clean as well d/w detergent, but then it doesn't have bleach. So I figure if I the shampoo away it will end up in the environment anyway, so I'm going to try to find more uses for it.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: I think shampoo gets a bad rap here....

Haha. That's great. I would have never thought about using shampoo in those ways. Good idea to try to find uses for it instead of tossing it out! I think it's funny that it cleaned better than your regular dish soap. Such is the power of shampoo!

i've used shampoo on "fine washables" before. never tried putting it in the less-fine laundry, though.

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

It also works well as a prewash for grease stains, both the food and the mechanic variety. Just dilute some in a spray bottle and spray the stain from the inside out (opposite of the way the grease was applied).
    Last edited by burns_erin; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    46"/50"/Term.
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Shampoo works great as a toilet bowl cleaner, also.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Heh, you guys are brilliant! More uses for shampoo I don't like. hey, isn't this the same place where I got the shaving with conditioner idea from

Length
    10 in/10 in/25 in

Ha! I'm going to use all of those. This is a BIG bottle. I plan on re-using the bottle after the shampoo is gone. It has a really nice pump on it, not a squeeze bottle.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    shldr/shldr/shldr

My hair always looks and feels the same whether I CO or shampoo and condition.

Length
    Pixie/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread makes me so happy! Lately, I've been looking into trying new shampoos (and conditioners), and I have a few here that I haven't tried yet. But since I also go through conditioner way faster than shampoo, I was thinking I'd have a lot of mediocre shampoo to get through later, once I found what worked best for my hair... So I was wondering how weird it would be to use as dish soap and laundry detergent (both of which I am running low on). Thanks to you great folks at LHC, I feel greatly encouraged!

Tapioca

Makes a nice shave cream, too.