Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna - and where to get it

Default Henna - and where to get it

Hello!

I´m really interested in trying henna, but I just do not know where to buy it. I know a lot of you use henna, so I´m hoping to get some help from you lovelies

1) I live in Norway, so I need a webstore that ship to other countries (have so far not found a norwegian one). Is hennaforhair an ok store? Trustworthy?

2) Per now I use Garner Nutrisse 4.6. The colors name is "brown red", but my hair gets this deep, red burgundy shade. What kind of henna should I go for to obtain this?

3) And of course, another important question I´ve read several answers to: when my hair is already dyed, I can still put henna over it, right? It´s the other way around it can be difficult?

Hoping some of you can help

Thank you!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Henna - and where to get it

Hi, I'll try to answer at least some of your questions, as a fellow European

1) Hennaforhair is ok but the shipping to Europe is astronomical, so it would be better to use a European store, like http://www.henna-boy.co.uk or http://hennacat.com (the latter is more affordable).

2) To get deep red/burgundy, you just need to do several overall henna applications with (preferably) a high lawsone content henna, like Rajasthani. There's actually a whole thread for these shades: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=126878

3) Yes, you can henna over it. (And yes, the other way round can be more difficult, but not necessarily.)

Type
    1b/F/i

I buy my henna for years from HennaSooq.com
    The one I always bought is Jamila, it gives a nice orange shade at first (my hair is dark blond) and with many applications, it creates a beautiful burgundy (but I also mixed it once with indigo).
    The shipping costs a lot ... I also wish to know a website in Europe where I can get henna without having to pay so much for the shipping...

Length
    SL?/TBL+/CL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

In Sweden I know my mother buys henna at the health food/alternative medicine store in our medium sized hometown, and it's worked great for her the past 10 years. It comes in a cream box, and I think the brand is Herbique, and costs her something like 50-70 sek a box (125 grams). It's pure henna either way, although they have Copper, Auburn and Chestnut... She just gets the copper one, and her hair is gorgeously auburn (brown-ish/gray hair underneath) these days.
    Myself, I get my henna from the health food store here in the Netherlands, and they carry both henna-based dye, as well as the pure powder from two different brands, one of which is what I use.
    So maybe check that out as well? Online health stores in Norway may also have it. Or order from Sweden, that's also pretty cheap shipping-wise I believe.

Of course, this way you can't guarantee the freshness, and it's maybe not super-duper quality. But for me and my mother it has worked great.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

^ Oh yes, I definitely wouldn't look down on health store hennas, but as I don't know anything about the ones in Norway, and the OP specifically asked for webstores, I only mentioned those

Quote Originally Posted by Illryeth View Post
    The shipping costs a lot ... I also wish to know a website in Europe where I can get henna without having to pay so much for the shipping...
    I just named two above

Length
    SL?/TBL+/CL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetta View Post
    ^ Oh yes, I definitely wouldn't look down on health store hennas, but as I don't know anything about the ones in Norway, and the OP specifically asked for webstores, I only mentioned those
    Oh no, it's just that he/she mentioned not knowing where to get it, so I took it as not knowing where it is *at all*, or that it's often available at health food stores, not just webstores!

I know Life-butiken has a Norwegian webshop, but their online site in Sweden doesn't have henna, although I know the physical store in my hometown does, there's probably other health stores with webpages one can look at as well. Depending if OP lives in a small town or not, there may be a store that carries it close by.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I can't advise about a henna supplier.

My first henna is in my siggy--May 2012. I hennaed over a grown out, brunette hair dye. I was dealing with 1/2" of ashy brown roots and gray temples. Used the highest lawsone henna I could find, and left it on 6 hours. (I had heard that gray hair sometimes resisted henna, so left it on a long while.) It covered all my roots, and blended the old dye job in nicely!
    Last edited by browneyedsusan; April 23rd, 2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: typo

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lolino View Post
    Oh no, it's just that he/she mentioned not knowing where to get it, so I took it as not knowing where it is *at all*, or that it's often available at health food stores, not just webstores!

I know Life-butiken has a Norwegian webshop, but their online site in Sweden doesn't have henna, although I know the physical store in my hometown does, there's probably other health stores with webpages one can look at as well. Depending if OP lives in a small town or not, there may be a store that carries it close by.
    Yeah, at least the OP now has plenty of options to find some henna, and that's only a good thing
    Last edited by Rosetta; April 23rd, 2015 at 06:03 AM.

Length
    BSL/Chin/Chin
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Hi fellow norwegian! I've had luck using henna powder from Asian/Middle-eastern stores, but the one I'm currently using is this one from iherb. I don't think you'd get a burgundy colour from those hennas right away, but you probably will if you do multiple applications.
    What is your real hair colour? I do roots-only applications and my starting colour is dark ashy blonde, and I get a nice orangey-red colour (though it can also look brown, depending on the light). Here's a picture that shows it quite well.
    Thunder and lightning won’t change what I’m feeling, and the daffodils look lovely today
    From tbl+ to short bob

Length
    0 in/2 in/36 in
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Here is a link to the type of henna I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have a few different colors to choose from but I have experience with only the black that they sell. It has great reviews on amazon which is what led me to purchase it. I got great results from it and will continue to use it as it is very inexpensive and works like it says it will. Here is a link to my review video as well: https://youtu.be/2fFH5GXVeXg