Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Stick Longlocks

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I own one pair of Longlocks sticks. I bought them last year because the price was relatively reasonable. Of course, they're not as fancy as these beauties you want. I don't think you'll be sorry if you buy this stick. One of LHC's members, Tessa, loves LongLocks sticks. Maybe you could check out her pictures or send her a PM and ask her some questions?

FWIW- I'm really cheap, but I'd spring for that stick if it was my 10th Anniversary and I was going to Paris.

Here's a photo of my sticks in action. I enjoy wearing them, but was somewhat disappointed that they were shorter than I expected.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    18"/25"/TB
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Wow! Thanks for all those links Lora410 & Lifeisadventure! Such unique pieces!
    Edited to add...
    Xandergrammy! Beautiful sticks to compliment that beautiful updo!!
    Growing to BSL - currently at APL

Length
    17/22/30
    Type
    3a/M/ii

They're so pretty, but wow, the price makes you think twice...
    Lady Lirr of the Heart-Stirring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Personally, I wouldn't go for it, but that's because (1) they're too flashy, (2) they're pink, and (3) I'm an acknowledged cheapskate.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Like others said, if that stick is what you have your heart set on, then that is what you should buy, because regardless of how many other sticks you could purchase for that price, you will never be as happy with them, because they aren't that one.

However, if you're just looking for a painted bone stick with a pretty topper, those are easy to find at much lower prices. Ebay is a good place to look..I have bought several from sellers there and was very happy with them. Maiden's Treasures also offers all their sticks to be placed on bone for the same price if you request it --but they don't paint the sticks.

One thing to know about bone sticks though, is they only come in 4.5" which is kinda short (but still usable) if you plan to grow to tailbone or further.

One-Handed Typist, NAK birdiefu's Avatar
    Length
    14/42/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have two pairs of Longlocks, and honestly I was expecting more when I got them. Like Cinnamon Hair stated, they are pretty much the generic 4.5" bone sticks (you can get in bulk for cheap) that are painted and with pretty toppers. I think the most of the cost is probably in the toppers, as many have Swarovski (sp?) or vintage components. But if you love those sticks you saw, I won't stop you. Just be careful using them at first as the lacquer on one of mine was still tacky when I got it and it smooshed a bit when I had the sticks crossed in my hair.

Some other hairstick makers that I like are Cattails Art (on ebay I think) and Maiden's Treasures.
    Last edited by birdiefu; March 20th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

From BSL to Classic in 4 years, thanks LHC!
    Waiting for DH to come home safe from Iraq around May '10

Length
    ?/35/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I have a pair of Longlocks sticks, these ones:
    http://www.longlocks.com/venetiannig...air-sticks.htm
    They were very expensive ($95 US for the pair), but I got them with Christmas money. I use Christmas money for things that are a real splurge, and I got the First Edition of that design.

I really love them, but I think one pair is enough. They really are beautiful, and I get compliments every time I wear them. Yes, the sticks are 4.5". The sticks are also quite thick compared to some of my others, which makes them a bit harder to use. I also have to be careful of the toppers. The pin holding the top is sturdy, but I whacked them good getting into the car and bent one. I bent it back and all is fine.

I'm glad I got them. If I had more "mad money" and saw a pair I absolutely loved, I might get another pair. Right now though, I'm looking at other artists.

It's all in what you think is worth it. I wanted a pair because I think her style is unique and I'm not afraid to spend that kind of money if it's something I really want. If your hesitant about the price though, I'd think very hard. You can get beautiful sticks for much, much less. I kind of look at Longlocks as "designer" items, you're paying for the name as well as for the workmanship.

Enough rambling. Do you love it? Get it before it sells out!
    Lady Tockene of the Motherboarde My Albums

Length
    Bob/Waist/Ankle
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I own one pair of LL. I don't think mine were worth the price (approx $60, 6 years ago). The thin paper appliqué on my sticks started peeling within 5 or so uses. It was insinuated that it was somehow my fault, when it's pretty obvious there wasn't enough varnish. Hopefully the CS is better. Those are way too expensive for me. If I had the money, I'd probably shell out, but based on my past experience, I wouldn't buy form there again nor would I recommend them.

45.5" - mid-thigh
    Here I Grow Again
    Amanda

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

My LongLocks sticks are extremely durable and well made. To me I am paying for the art as well as the durability and materials. The materials are top notch and I might fancy a $10.00 stick as much as a $100.00 stick but if I love it and it makes me feel good, then to me, it is worth it. I've never had one break, or split or peel. Mind you, one day I yanked one out of my hair and caught it in a tangle and pulled out the topper which was easily fixed.
    Last edited by jessie58; March 21st, 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: removed pics

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I have some LongLocks sticks, too, and I really like them. They have an extra ... glittery? ... feel to them, and are fun to wear.

If that stick is what you have your heart set on, buy it. All artists are different, and I don't think anyone replicates the look of these sticks. Wear it, and be happy!